Sponsored

Intro to Overlanding?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Your loadout difference between overlanding and camping isn't much. A winch, better navigation and comms, more food, more water, gas and tools.

Don't get caught up in the hype and expense. There's no reason to attend expos and seminars. It really comes down to camping + being prepared for as many contingencies as possible.
Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly right. It’s minimalist camping with your rig as the anchor point and testing the limits of yourself and your setup over longer distances than just running day trails. Enjoying the trip along with the destination fits right in with the Jeep.

BostonJohn13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 05 Wrangler Unlimited
Check out venture4wd on YouTube. I enjoy his videos.
I agree, Venture4WD has good video's and certainly follows a fairly minimalist approach. I watch on a weekly basis to see where he's been and gather ideas for my own adventures.

TrailRecon is another that mixes overlanding with moderate off roading and is pretty enjoyable to watch and get ideas.

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Hey Jeep community,

One of my pipe dreams with my new rig is to one day get into overlanding. The concept of setting off into the wild, off-roading to remote camping locations, and enjoying the outdoors in my Jeep is very attractive. Anyone out there have any great references for first timers looking to get into the lifestyle? Also are there US maps showing areas where overlanding is idea. I’m guessing I would need to leave the Midwest and head out west to really get off the grid. Appreciate any advice you can provide.
American Adventurist:)

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
The Gobi Rack is perfect for the overland lifestyle.
offtopic - where does the rack bolt to in the back? Is there a (n additional) support in the bumper to take all of the weight?

Edit: nevermind, I found the installation instructions - those make all clear to me :like:

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I just retired. The wife will retire in three years. The 2019 JLUR is ordered. We will off road from Arizona to Alaska. After that we may look at doing South America.
ExpeditionOverland on YouTube did a trip thru South America. Good series of videos.

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Coyote Works channel on YouTube - another good channel for overlanding, though it's more laid back than extreme.

Trail Recon I like, but he has gone more extreme this past year - cycling through bigger lifts and tires, now into a JT with a full build happening, again, bigger lift and tires. Still, highly recommended channel.

The Wayalifechannel is another excellent channel, especially if you want to learn more about upgrades and how to do work yourself. Solid stuff.

Last edited:

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I agree with most of what everyone has already said. Research is your friend, its really easy to spend lots of money on equipment/gear and fancy stuff. However, I do recommend attending an Expo Overland or other, just to see other rigs and talk to other folks to get their experience with stuff. I also am a believer in the buy once and cry once philosophy, this is the beauty with modern tech, you get to see others experiences through YouTube and Forums.

IMG_20191223_101531.jpg

IMG_20191223_101549.jpg

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We have done a bunch of trails and wheeling, since picking up our JLUR. Got 10 badge of honors, and put on 19,000 miles on a Jeep that is not a daily driver. Bought a small off road camper. Joined a Jeep club. and just got back from wheeling in Kentucky yesterday..

sY2AB4zdBI-ZoG_QpWYwYLVOxDUrDWGE74_BsZCgX9PUOsytxri2lKqAmZEOt95gWJ9GjD3fseXp_hp180=w1010-h757-no.jpg

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel FarOut
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with most of what everyone has already said. Research is your friend, its really easy to spend lots of money on equipment/gear and fancy stuff. However, I do recommend attending an Expo Overland or other, just to see other rigs and talk to other folks to get their experience with stuff. I also am a believer in the buy once and cry once philosophy, this is the beauty with modern tech, you get to see others experiences through YouTube and Forums.

Jeep Wrangler JL Intro to Overlanding? sY2AB4zdBI-ZoG_QpWYwYLVOxDUrDWGE74_BsZCgX9PUOsytxri2lKqAmZEOt95gWJ9GjD3fseXp_hp180=w1010-h757-no

Jeep Wrangler JL Intro to Overlanding? sY2AB4zdBI-ZoG_QpWYwYLVOxDUrDWGE74_BsZCgX9PUOsytxri2lKqAmZEOt95gWJ9GjD3fseXp_hp180=w1010-h757-no
What roof rack is that?

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR