Sponsored

Interior Design - Let's hear your thoughts!

What features do you look for the most when it comes to the center console?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
Just picked up my 392 this weekend and here are my interior takeaways. I love it, 95%.

The absolute FIRST thing that I disliked about my interior. was the cheap feeling turn signal lever. Even if it was a rounded stalk like the one on the right side, it feels cheap compared to the rest of the jeep.

The auto up/autodown for all 4 windows would be awesome, and makes sense for a Jeep.

Make the key fobs smaller, or integrate them into a wallet based card for active Jeep owners.

Fold flat rear seats would be good, but not something that I really see as a concern. Rear storage compartment was kind of cheap looking, but it may be smaller on my 392, I'm not sure. If I could fit a set of wet waders and boots in it, it would be perfect.

Make an option for 392 owners to purchase both doors AND tops from the factory. Have the softtop shipped to the house, or the dealer to transfer at purchase.

Have a premium cloth option, or a set of really nice cloth covers for the 392. I love my 392, but convertible with black leather spells hot legs. Even having other leather colors for the 392 would be better than black.

Keep up the good work!

John
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Have a premium cloth option, or a set of really nice cloth covers for the 392. I love my 392, but convertible with black leather spells hot legs. Even having other leather colors for the 392 would be better than black.
I have to admit I love the cloth in my 2019 JLR. Haven't had a cloth interior since my 2001 Pathfinder. No regrets on passing on the leather.

BaseLayer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.salexorganizers.com
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma and 4Runner, past - 99 XJ and 94 YJ
Occupation
Vehicle OCD
@JeepCares we make aftermarket Vehicle OCD center console dividers and trays for the JK and JL Wranglers. We developed them with the help of members on this forum. You can have a look at our thread for how members use the console and the things they like/dislike. Our issues are:

1. Put the center console LED light in the lid that shines down when open. Not half way down the back wall of the console. The LED can get blocked with the users contents in it's current location.

2. Move the USB for Apple Car Play and Android Auto outside of the console. Having cords tangled/damaged with other items in the console is not good. Having to be sure the cord is in the correct notch when opening and closing the console is an extra step and takes eyes off the road when driving.

3. Do not have multiple console designs for the same model year. 2021 models have two consoles. One is the standard console used 2018-2021. The other is the 2021 shallow console used for JLs having the front trail cam option. See the thread on the confusion from that switcheroo.

4. The small tray at the top that nests with the armrest is too small to be useful.

5. The best center consoles have an open unobstructed area under the armrest. This makes it easy for the driver to get what they need with minimal effort.

Hope this helps.

Todd
Salex Organizers
www.salexorganizers.com

NFWman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Grand Cherokee LTD, 2021 JL Rubicon
What I’d really like is added security in the console, such as a steel container with a strong lock on it!
There’s an aftermarket version but it makes the interior space pretty small. For top-down or no-top days I’d feel a lot better about being able to lock my valuables in something very strong.

OkieDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2-dr
Overall, I really like my 2019 JL -- my fifth Wrangler 2-door. Seat comfort is good, but not quite as good as my JK. JL badly needs a dead pedal for left foot, or at least a convenient mounting point like the JK had. I like the JL console the way it is since that is what started the thread.

Biggest complaint is the humongous key remote. Not only the size and weight, but what good is a keyless start if you still have to take the fob out of your pocket to lock or unlock the doors! Then the thing is uncomfortable to keep in your pocket. My wife's Hyundai has a keyless fob half the size with more functionality.

Sponsored

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
Agree that it is nice as-is. My only change would be to increase it *slightly*, with a specific measurement in mind: smartphones.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G - the smallest of the uber-popular Galaxy S series - and it fits in the top tray, but you can't really plug it in very easily in there. It *barely* fits.

Putting it in the bottom compartment isn't much better - it's like tossing it down a deep well, and again, it's so narrow that the phone doesn't sit conveniently - it only leans against the side precariously. And that's a small phone.

Wireless Android Auto would alleviate this somewhat, but it's still an issue.

Aside from that, I think the current console is perfect. It's big enough to be useful but small enough that it doesn't become a junk trap. And I love that it's not "in the way" - the open space is really important.

KEY ELEMENT:
Following the console up to the dash, the open-ness becomes even MORE important. One thing I loved about my previous vehicle ('07 GMC Sierra) is that my knees never touched the dash or the console (cause I had a split-front, so no console, just the flippy-thing, but still). It's something I despise about most other cars with a console, like my wife's Lexus RX350 - so much "stuff" in between the seats that my knee rests against the side of the console. It's obnoxious and uncomfortable on longer trips.

I'd also like to formally request that you please NOT replace the whole interior with displays and screens. Buttons are good. Knobs are good. Switches are good. Touchscreens are not great in a vehicle.
Check out 67 Designs, they have a great mount for your phone. Holds it tight, install was super easy, and it looks great. My only mistake was I got the gloss arm, now I see that reflection in my windshield all the time. It looks great otherwise, and it’s very adjustable. I have a large phone and it wouldn’t fit in my console anyway.

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 3.6L 6-Speed
Occupation
Web Developer
The size of the console is fine as it is. The top "shelf" could be a little deeper to fit a wider variety of things (which would make the bottom "cubby"smaller).

The things that really needs work are the cupholders. Who thought cupholders that cant be removed for cleaning was a good idea?

THorner

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Diesel, 79 J10, 06 XLR, Ducati 999 & ST4
Occupation
Retired
Voted no preference because as with all polls they are designed for a preferred outcome. The size of the console is fine as is. My preference would be to increase the size of the top storage and decrease the size of the lower part. Upper is too small for many items I would like to have quick access to and I usually end up pulling stuff out of the lower compartment and piling it on the seat to find something that has filtered down to the bottom of the lower unit. On a side note USB charging ports near the windshield would be useful as others have mentioned.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Check out 67 Designs, they have a great mount for your phone. Holds it tight, install was super easy, and it looks great. My only mistake was I got the gloss arm, now I see that reflection in my windshield all the time. It looks great otherwise, and it’s very adjustable. I have a large phone and it wouldn’t fit in my console anyway.
Yeah but I don't *want* to see my phone. I purposefully bought the 8.4" stereo upgrade for Android Auto because I've had phone mounts/grips in my vehicles for the past ~10 years and I don't want to anymore.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
We really need a factory safe option. One that’s made of metal and can actually secure valuables. Also, a wireless charge pad is long overdue.

Sponsored

Dougehr2

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 jk 2021 jl 2 door rubicon
Occupation
Mechanic
Wish it had a safe bio metric open option

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Hey Jeep fam!

We'd love to hear from you & share your feedback. What features do you look for the most when it comes to the center console? Select all that apply and feel free to elaborate in the comments!

Jeep Cares
One thing I would really like Jeep to do is have cup holders or a place to set a nalgene. Ideally 2, driver and passenger. My jeep is the only vehicle I have that it is really hard to find a place to put a nalgene. My little VW has a cup holder in the door that is perfect size for a nalgene. Maybe you can design the cup holders to you can remove an insert or something so it can hold a 32oz nalgene size bottle; this is a very common size OD for water bottles.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
we make aftermarket Vehicle OCD center console dividers and trays for the JK and JL Wranglers.

Our issues are:

4. The small tray at the top that nests with the armrest is too small to be useful.
No.

I appreciate the presence of the separate top tray. It's used daily to stow my wallet, keys, a granola bar, and/or other small odds & ends...things that I take with me when I leave the vehicle, and don't want to lock in the Tuffy console safe that now occupies the lower portion of the center console.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I’m fine with the way the consol is in my 2018 jlu sport. I don’t want you see a change that take the manual transmission Option away. I love my manual transmission and wish more manufacturers had them. Rather see the auto die out. A lot hard to text and river when you have to change the gears.

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
Here is my interior wish list:
One touch open/close for all 4 windows; even better if there was a one touch option to open/close all 4 windows plus the sky one touch roof.
Heated rear seats - very nice to have in an open vehicle
Separate rear climate zone - see heated rear seats (my kids are always cold with the top down)
Not quite interior design, but make the rear window removable in the sky one touch version. And better yet, sell a Mopar cart to hold 4 doors (half and full versions) and the glass rear window. You would charge a lot for this, and I would buy it!
Have a factory option for real door entry guards that protect around the door ledge.
Add a driver’s dead pedal
Electric seats!! Come on, I get it’s a Jeep, but manual seats are just unnecessary these days.
Other than these things I am pretty happy with the Wrangler interior. I’m a big fan of the buttons/knobs for radio volume, HVAC, heated seats/steering wheel, etc. The steering wheel on the 392 is probably the best I have ever used.
Sponsored