Sponsored

FIRST JL DRIVE IMPRESSIONS. Let's hear em. PIC Heavy

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Ok waited all day to start this thread. My dealer got 2 JL's in Black Sport S, and JLU fairly loaded, Firecracker. Both hard tops, btw. MY JLUR is done and shipped or shipping any day..... Anyway, he talked me in to a quick test drive (it wasn't that hard). So I drove the Sahara here are my FIRST Impressions, in no particular order: (SIDE NOTE : I'm coming out of a JK Unlimited, that I put 95k miles on, so that's all I'm comparing it to.)
1. Much quieter on the road, no haunted house kreeking noises
2. The motor! I loved my JKU Pentastar V6, the JL's is better and new 8 speed auto makes smoother cleaner power and acceleration.
3. Handled bumps extremely well, I hit everyone I could find. No risidual bouncing or head throw.
4. Visibility, well it's better, that simple. Front and rear vis. are just better.
5. Interior = way better, better look, better feel, no real cheap looking bits.
6. Layout inside, similar but better. Drivers seat may be a bit more upright (but adjustable) and maybe it doesn't go back quite as far, by way of under seat bar adjuster. But overall, more conforming, comfortable seat. Recline strap to recline! Awesome, no more opening the door to find that lever, or squeeze your hand down there to adjust reclining. Left leg /dead leg area for the auto guys maybe seemed a little tighter. Not really sure, I've been in a loaner Truck for a couple weeks so maybe I got used to regular leg amount room. Headroom seemed the sameish , I'm 6 ft tall and never has an issue before.
7. The doors! Lighter and the detent is awesome! First stage, it stops, then push and it goes to second detent. Really nice, no more doors closing when you don't want them to.
8. The rear cargo area a little bigger, but not much, but similar to JK. I've heard people complain about the sub. Trust me no complaints here. It's well placed and I believe is less instutrusive than JK premium audio sub. Under storage cubby is bigger and more functional.
9. Hard Tops. Here's one area that is a little
hard to explain. OK, I've read that they are lighter, by looking at them I would have to agree. They just look lighter with a more rough/textured finish. The interior grooves are also deeper. The only thing I noticed was that when driving into a noticeable breeze, (jeepers always know if they are with the wind or against it) I think I heard the wind more than before..... Now again I've been driving a 1500 standard cab, pickup for a couple of weeks so I maybe have adjusted from what I was used to in JK as far as noise goes. The Hard tops where black, (not painted) and as usual those things are not as smooth as painted tops. Does that cause more turbulence and wind noise? I dont know. I'm spit balling here! It may be quieter or not. I just don't know.
9. The visor are better.
10. The cabin light is better (led group) and it has 4 surrounding push lights that operate separately. Really cool.
11. The leather felt nice.
12. I forgot to look at the back seat arm rest pull down and I didn't sit in backseat. (lunch break was over)
13. Up close all the exterior differences looked really good, grille, tail lights, sensors on lights were fine and don't pertrud very much, cut out in rocker panel, hood, headlights, tag placement rear, etc. The vehicle just looks broader, meaner and has a stronger stance (can't wait to see Rubi).
14. In closing until I remember more.... Lol
It felt more like an Suv in drive and feel than before which IMHO is a good thing. Got to go, I'm starved. Enjoy pics and ignor typos!

20180109_122630.jpg

20180109_122627.jpg

20180109_122610.jpg

20180109_122600.jpg

20180109_122540.jpg

20180109_122532.jpg

20180109_122526.jpg

20180109_122404.jpg

20180109_122547.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Oh yeah, the gear selector is HUGE! And I like it!

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
Thanks for the review, can't wait to hear about your JLUR while I wait for mine.

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
Looks like no headliner on the sticker. I wonder how much that would have helped the wind noise.

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
Looks like no headliner on the sticker. I wonder how much that would have helped the wind noise.
I was thinking the same thing. If I do notice it's higher than JK I would consider some Hot Heads or Mopar Liners. Again, I'm not sure if it's more noticeable or not, and I probably won't know until I drive mine for a few days. (once it gets here!)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I thought of something else, I'm going to look for sill guards right now. I forgot I even put them on my JK. A lot of exposed colored metal when you open the JL door. I'm assuming someone is already making them. Post link if you know.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I thought of something else, I'm going to look for sill guards right now. I forgot I even put them on my JK. A lot of exposed colored metal when you open the JL door. I'm assuming someone is already making them. Post link if you know.
Mopar offers them. I'll be picking up a set of those, too.
Sponsored