Inside noise

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I get it as well. Drove up to Wyoming last week and it sounded like a helicopter was in the cab. I plan on taking it into the dealership sometime in the next few weeks to get it checked out.
It was probably just a government drone tracking you too closely. Time to burn the evidence and run. I said RUUUUUNNN!!!!
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’ve been all over that “hard top wind noise” thread, but that one leans toward the windshield area air leak type noise, although some mention helicoptering.
I guess until I get mine I’ll stop guessing what people are hearing.
Yes there are a few threads on it, I just did not take the time to look through each one. I know the issue was mentioned in that one so I chose that one because I am too lazy to gather all the data I have read. ;)

Bkenyon53

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS; 2016 JKU; 1971 VW Beetle
If there is one thing that will keep me from ordering a JLUR it's wind buffeting. When it happens in a car (when one window is cracked) it gives me a splitting headache almost instantly. I'm not sure if it's an ear thing or what but I have to lock the windows in the back (due to the kids). I hope this isn't a widespread issue and if it is, it's a simple fix.

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
If it really is a widespread problem, I'll figure out a solution even if I have to manufacture something special for it. I never had any problems with wind noise in my two JKs or even noticed that it was unusual for a car, but everyone seems to be talking about it with the JL. The panels only having 2 latches each and no screw post is the first thing I think of when I hear these issues. Just like when people talk about water leaking in and hitting their knee when they open the door, it's a result of the raked back windshield with zero regard to the fact that it would shorten the mini gutter above the door.

A lot of thought went into this vehicle, and the changes are so significant that it was s super easy decision to upgrade for me from my 2016 JKUR Hard Rock with only 13k miles on it. But I can tell where the engineering teams didn't think things through. There should have been more tests and iterations. It's just obvious the engineers never saw the finished vehicle go through highway testing or weather testing. Or maybe not a large enough group of vehicles was tested.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. First off, the "wind buffering noise" (a very easy thing to hear, describe and replicate) is clearly an issue. Remember that this forum and several others, represent a very small # of diehards and newly converted diehards. So, although I feel it is an issue because, I don't think that one could/would make this up. Again , it's a very easy thing to hear and replicate (unlike, the very subjective, generic "wind noise" complaints). With that being said,.....; to say or indicate that this vehicle was not tested enough or rushed, is far from true. If you've followed this design chatter from early on till now you would see different. Designs flaws and quality control issues or manufacturing issues are different things and seeing that that majority of this sub sample are not suffering from "wind buffering" noise indicates to me that the later is the cause , (quality control or manufacturing issue). Not poor design. Poor design would probably affect most or all or us. Every vehicle Ive every bought new platform or not has had known issues. Most you learn to deal with or you wait for the fix. If it's widespread, the fix is usually quicker. I hope Jeep finds a solution to help those suffering from this issue as soon as possible. A trouble free Jeep community, is a happy one. I currently have an issue as well, my rear window defroster which includes heated mirrors has not worked from day 1. I've posted about it, I've chatted with others that have the same issue, jeep chat, the dealership, (2 or 3 people on this forum) but no one has stated unequivocally what the issue is, including the dealership! I'm not freaking out, I could have really used that function today in Maryland, beautiful , spring weather (6 inches of heavy wet snow!). Having and a fogged up rear window and frozen mirrors was No fun. BUT until I'm told what the fix is I refuse to drop my 50k JLUR at the dealership to be torn apart so they try to figure it out. (the same dealership who forgot to put the oil cap back on my JK after an oil change, or tightened the lugs nuts so tight they couldn't be removed with normal tools). So I'll wait. Is this a design flaw,? I doubt it. It is, at lesst a quality control issue. Good luck to all, with their new vehicles and keep waving.

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. First off, the "wind buffering noise" (a very easy thing to hear, describe and replicate) is clearly an issue. Remember that this forum and several others, represent a very small # of diehards and newly converted diehards. So, although I feel it is an issue because, I don't think that one could/would make this up. Again , it's a very easy thing to hear and replicate (unlike, the very subjective, generic "wind noise" complaints). With that being said,.....; to say or indicate that this vehicle was not tested enough or rushed, is far from true. If you've followed this design chatter from early on till now you would see different. Designs flaws and quality control issues or manufacturing issues are different things and seeing that that majority of this sub sample are not suffering from "wind buffering" noise indicates to me that the later is the cause , (quality control or manufacturing issue). Not poor design. Poor design would probably affect most or all or us. Every vehicle Ive every bought new platform or not has had known issues. Most you learn to deal with or you wait for the fix. If it's widespread, the fix is usually quicker. I hope Jeep finds a solution to help those suffering from this issue as soon as possible. A trouble free Jeep community, is a happy one. I currently have an issue as well, my rear window defroster which includes heated mirrors has not worked from day 1. I've posted about it, I've chatted with others that have the same issue, jeep chat, the dealership, (2 or 3 people on this forum) but no one has stated unequivocally what the issue is, including the dealership! I'm not freaking out, I could have really used that function today in Maryland, beautiful , spring weather (6 inches of heavy wet snow!). Having and a fogged up rear window and frozen mirrors was No fun. BUT until I'm told what the fix is I refuse to drop my 50k JLUR at the dealership to be torn apart so they try to figure it out. (the same dealership who forgot to put the oil cap back on my JK after an oil change, or tightened the lugs nuts so tight they couldn't be removed with normal tools). So I'll wait. Is this a design flaw,? I doubt it. It is, at lesst a quality control issue. Good luck to all, with their new vehicles and keep waving.
But see, if it's a quality control issue, it's still an engineering problem. If the system only works half of the time, they picked the wrong system. The sample size of people on this forum vs all JLs in the wild is a problem with trying to see how widespread the issue is. Sure. I didn't say every aspect of the vehicle was rushed, I can see the work they put into it. But some of the most important things (a large amount of water coming in the car if the roof is wet, and wind buffeting at highway speeds) were overlooked somehow in exchange for spending time making the freedom panels easier to remove and raking the windshield back for fuel economy. There was nothing wrong with the way the freedom panels came off before. It's nice that they are easier to remove now, but not if it leads to buffeting. I'm sure everyone will say "oh but it's a jeep". The fact remains that there should be ZERO things about the vehicle worse than on the JK. I never had water pour in my JK because the gutter wasn't long enough. Never had buffeting either. If those two things happen, the design is flat out wrong. I have more than a few engineering professors who would have slapped me in the face if I made those design changes and it resulted in those issues.

I'm not worried about it or freaking out either, I'm just pointing out, if one of the engineers got his pant leg soaked or got a headache from buffeting, they would have told the execs they needed to make a few more changes. The fact that they didn't know those things happened may be someone else's fault in FCA, but it still impacted the design of the car.

100% agree about not dropping it off until they know what they are going to do. I'd never let them just start messing around with mine.

CMâ›°

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
Rubi I test drove back in late January had buffering real bad. Thought my ear drums were going to burst. Was first one they received. Took delivery of my Rubi yesterday, 200 Miles in and no buffering. Seems from what I gather, many of the issues were in the early batches. Maybe they’ve tweaked windshield and freedom top install procedures due to the early feedback to eliminate a larger percentage of the issues. I was nervous, but am happy!

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
Rubi I test drove back in late January had buffering real bad. Thought my ear drums were going to burst. Was first one they received. Took delivery of my Rubi yesterday, 200 Miles in and no buffering. Seems from what I gather, many of the issues were in the early batches. Maybe they’ve tweaked windshield and freedom top install procedures due to the early feedback to eliminate a larger percentage of the issues. I was nervous, but am happy!
I know I will test drive at least 10-15 JL Rubicons to see if they have the same noise before I purchase or order one. In the meantime, I will enjoy my completely noise, leak free JK hardtop.

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
On the topic of wind noise, buffeting and the Vortex...I definitely find that if you have the freedom panels off, it is much quieter and has far less buffeting with the back windows down a few inches.

Sponsored

CMâ›°

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
I know I will test drive at least 10-15 JL Rubicons to see if they have the same noise before I purchase or order one. In the meantime, I will enjoy my completely noise, leak free JK hardtop.
Check the manufacturer date and see if a pattern emerges. I wouldn’t be surprised.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I've experienced it a couple times with my Unlimited Sport over the course of a few days. Someone mentioned it MAY correspond with removing and replacing the freedom tops, especially in the cold - that would link up with my experiences here in the Northeast. I'm careful to put the panels back on in the correct order while watching the seals, but who knows? They do lock into place, but they are still just pieces of what almost feels like hard styrofoam!

Also, it's worth mentioning that every time it occurred, it would usually go away after a few moments. My wife and I were making a typical 40-mile drive to a nearby city, and the "helicoptering" noise/feeling started to happen while we were still in town and only going about 25mph. Strangely enough, once we got on bigger roads and started going 50-60mph, the feeling went away.

I've also cracked my window for a minute and then put it back up, and that seemed to help, too.

I figure this isn't going to be an issue in the summer when I'm rarely going to have the top on the Jeep at all, but for the winter this can get annoying really quickly. My ears have always been really sensitive to this feeling, so I'll have to keep a close ear on it and maybe we can figure it out.

NYJEEPGIRL

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon - Firecracker Red
I have a 2018 JLUR and I don’t find it to be that helicopter noise where you want to open a window to adjust. I just get wind noise. My JK had the annoying noise. Every Jeep Wrangler I have had (6)has had wind noise the JL is by far the best with it.

HCollins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon, 22 F150 Lariat 4x4
My personal experience: The helicoptering can be fixed by loosening the windshield hinge bolts (the ones it uses to fold) and bumping the windshield up/re-tighten so it seals closer to the body when raised back up. Pics are in that giant wind noise thread.

The overall noise level is still an issue, but at least you won't have the pressure build up in your head and think about driving it off in a lake... ;)

psuntlion

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Camaro ZL1 1LE, BMW M3, R1250GSA
Sorry for replying on an old thread, but I experienced this buffeting noise when I test drove a new '18 JL Rubicon Unlimited on Monday night. The salesman heard it too, we went back to the dealership to reseat the top panels, went back out, and it still buffeted. The salesman responded today saying that it was in their shop all day yesterday and they determined it was tire noise. SMH! Tire noise does not pound your eardrums! I forwarded him this thread and others. You would think that they would have a TSB to address this problem by now.
Sponsored