Increase Clearance Options

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm trying to decide what the best thing to do for increasing my JLUR ground clearance while keeping price in mind as the driving factor. If I had unlimited money and a garage to install everything myself then I'd grab a 2.5" suspension lift (i.e. MetalCloak or Teraflex) and get new wheels and tires with better backspacing. However, all of that plus installation would be a huge amount of money. I'm trying to slowly build everything out so I was wondering what the next best step to increasing clearance would be?

• Option 1
    • 5x 315/70R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros on Stock Rubicon Wheels
    • 1.75" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
    • Teraflex Tire Carrier to allow for carrying the 35" spare
  • Option 2
    • MetalCloak 2.5" Gamechange w/ Rocksport Shocks OR Mopar 2" Lift w/ Adjustable Trackbar
    • Stock 33" KO2 Tires & Wheels
My only fear is that going with the lift and not upgrading the tires at the same time would leave too large of an awkward gap because of the 33" tires
Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A lift won’t increase ground clearance. Tires will. A lift will allow you to run larger tires, that’s it.

On a JLUR, you can fit 315s with no lift. If you run a lift with 33s, it will look like your Jeep skipped leg day.

IMO, you don’t need the tire carrier. I’m running 315s with the stock carrier. I added some home made bump stops. No need for more.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on what the OP means by ground clearance. People on this site seem to have a real hang up over diff clearance equating to THE abject standard of "ground clearance"....and while it may technically be correct, you also have breakover and approach and departure angles to deal with as well as any other component and its distance to well, the ground.....like the frame rails, gas tank, x-members, shock mounts, etc.

Some of those items will be raised by a suspension lift without changing tires....some won't....so we should probably get clarification about what the OP means by 'ground clearance'....as in, what exactly is he wanting to raise up?
Fair enough. I’ve always assumed increasing ground clearance is increasing the clearance of the lowest point. You are correct that a suspension lift will increase approach and departure angles. I suppose increasing break over angle is desirable. However, how often is the approach or departure angle of a Jeep the limiting factor?

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
IME, the major problem point on the JLUR is the breakover....the frame height is just too freaking low on this thing, especially for a vehicle on 37s; just under 16" at full street pressure is problematic to say the least.

Approach can usually be accommodated by simply picking a different line and hitting the obstacle at an angle...although every bit up front helps as the trail gets harder. Departure is often hindered b/c there's only one good way off a really steep obstacle and you're going to drag regardless....which is why body mounted spares are usually a bad idea and bumper mounted ones fare better.
Well said. Thanks for providing a different perspective than I previously considered.

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Sean K. @UNC Rubicon Thanks for all the replies. Definitely good to hear both sides. I guess when I refer to ground clearance I was kind of thinking of both types.

My goal is to eventually have a 2.5" lift and 35" tires. I live in an apartment building and park underground so no room to really work on the Jeep myself or store parts. I want to get a 2.5" lift that has LCAs and adjustable trackbars so that the steering geometry stays correct. With the lift, I'd also need to get shocks and right now the Falcon 3.1s seem like a good middle ground or perhaps the MetalCloak Rocksports. The 6 pack shocks seem to give the most extension/compression but I don't want to also have to upgrade the front driveshaft. Are there any other lift kits out there that will allow me to piece meal them together over time because that could be a good option?

The reason I was thinking switching to 35" (STT Pros - 315/70R17) would be to increase ground clearance without the huge cost of having to pay a full day of installation at a shop for the lift. Also, with the lift I'd probably want to increase steering steering component strength so switching to the Yeti Steersmarts setup but again thats another $1000.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

That said, the "clearance" you gain by going to 35s is only going to be roughly 1" depending on the true tire sizes you're talking about.
an inch makes a difference! or so my wife says, but im not sure she knows what she's talking about.... :bandit:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you've already decided you want a lift, and tires, and upgraded steering. Now it's time to prioritize. We cant' tell you which to do first....if it were me, I'd do tires & wheels first b/c you'll need them later anyway, they'll fit without a lift, and you may find you like it better without the lift. If you do the lift first, you're still going to need tires.
Hey Sean, I’m on 37 nittos at 30 psi warm and a 3.5 inch lift. I know the lift doesn’t do anything for the diff but I was curious about the height difference between true 37s no lift and 35-3/4 nittos with lift. My front diff is 12-1/8” from floor and I’m 19-1/8” inches from concrete floor to bottom of frame, not cross member, at back of drivers door. I know it’s probably 110 out today, I used to live there, so if you’re out messing around someday if you wouldn’t mind measuring yours.
Thanks
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I won't be home until late, but I'll get you a measurement. Keep in mind, true 37s are 37" mounted on the rim, NOT on the vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if mine squat an inch or so with the weight of the vehicle on them.

I know my frame height is 15 7/8" at street pressure (30 psi cold) with the 37s. So you're 3 1/4" taller than mine with the 3.5" lift.
Gotcha, I just measured my spare and it’s 36-1/2 inches, I guess that what you mean by true 37s? It’s just to make that part of my brain to shut up, I just like to know sh&t,lol. You know how it is.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
an inch makes a difference! or so my wife says, but im not sure she knows what she's talking about.... :bandit:
Well, if it’s a 33% increase.........she would be right. ;)

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@UNC Rubicon, @Sean K.; another way to get clearance (in both cases) would be portal axels! I’ve seen a couple of jeeps with portals...but no JLs that I can think of. Also...I do realize that portals are probably outside the realm of reality for OP and most people for that matter.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 12.5" to the bottom of the front diff. Couldn't accurately measure the rear b/c there's a few layers of cardboard on the floor and only one tire is parked on it, but it was reading 12.25" with the cardboard under it...so it's probably real close to the front...maybe just a hair higher due to the decreased weight bias to the rear of the vehicle affecting how much the tire sidewall squats.
Thanks for measuring, that’s 3/8” difference in a true 37, I’m assuming m/t tire?, and a kinda hybrid m/t, / a/t tire. I know it’s not an exact science but I was just curious how much difference there was between the two.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Sean K.; I completely agree...those are the reasons I said they probably aren’t in the realm of reality for most people...they are awesome on a purpose built rig...but a daily driven rig would not be a candidate for them.
Sponsored