Sponsored

Ground clearance

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
So I was jobless this weekend and crawled up under the Jeep to "get familiar" with how everything is supposed to look, so I will know if/when something is not right. With more time on my hand I measured the clearance under both axle diffs. Front was at 10.5 inches and rear at 10.2 inches, good 1/2 inch less than the 10.8 inches spec. It is a stock 2Dr Rubicon with the stock tires at 37 psi and no load. Not a big deal or anything, just curious if anyone else was jobless enough to do this measurement.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Hmm. Interesting. My Jeep is currently at the dealer (door ajar switch), but I'll give it a measure when I get it home. Gotta work tonight, so probably won't post till tomorrow, but I'll let you know how a 4 door Sahara compares. Any idea what they claim for those?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The only thing that would change this is tire size, and flatness of the ground it is parked on.

OP
OP

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Hmm. Interesting. My Jeep is currently at the dealer (door ajar switch), but I'll give it a measure when I get it home. Gotta work tonight, so probably won't post till tomorrow, but I'll let you know how a 4 door Sahara compares. Any idea what they claim for those?
Sahara spec is 10 inches

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Or loading

Was there gear in the Jeep?

How full was the fuel tank?

Is the spec with a full or empty tank?
Only as much as it will compress the tires. Given the wrangler's payload capabilities and the load capacity of 37" E rated tires, I'll assume that wasn't a huge factor.

OP
OP

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Or loading

Was there gear in the Jeep?

How full was the fuel tank?

Is the spec with a full or empty tank?
I was under the impression that the axle diff clearance only depends on the tires as they attach to the center of the wheel regardless,but I am no expert. It had a full tank of gas, but no cargo or passengers. I have the hard top and steel bumpers if that matters.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I would think that the “spec” of 10.8 for rubicon and 10.0 for Sahara are “averages” as each configuration will vary. Hard top vs soft top, manual transmission vs auto transmission. Then there is the fullness of fuel tank, passengers, rear seat in or out.

Would think that being within a fraction of an inch (10.5 vs 10.8 inches) would be acceptable pending configuration and all.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I would think that the “spec” of 10.8 for rubicon and 10.0 for Sahara are “averages” as each configuration will vary. Hard top vs soft top, manual transmission vs auto transmission. Then there is the fullness of fuel tank, passengers, rear seat in or out.

Would think that being within a fraction of an inch (10.5 vs 10.8 inches) would be acceptable pending configuration and all.
How much do you think weight affects the tires?

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
How much do you think weight affects the tires?
Couldn’t really tell you but same logic would apply here. Each tire will vary slightly in sidewall strength due to nothing being exactly the same. I would imagine if you swapped out 10 different sets of K02’s with the exact same air pressure on the same Jeep you would not see 10 exact clearance levels at the diffs.

Basically every tire will react differently due to the variables of age and construction as no matter how stringent the manufacturing process variables will exist.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
They are, but I've got 30psi in them so, if I went up to 35/26psi, they'd probably grow another 1/2" clearance, but --

The ride/steering/off-road handling would be totally BUNK !

JIMBO

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, when's the last time you :DAMAGED THE RAIL COVER and DRAINED A QUART OF 75W-140 on the PRISTENE SIERRA rocks ??

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored