JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
And/or WHAT-- you said the DIFFERENTIALS weren't the problem--

I've never heard that jeep rails were more of a problem that the DIFF'S, they are the lowest Part of the front suspension and the shock mts are just a little lower than the rear DIFF'S, BUT banging them is nothing compared to ripping off the DIFF COVER--

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Ground clearance from the Differentials is an interesting topic.....but unless you are going measure the trail ruts, and other trail obstacles along the way...it's almost not worth it. Most of us simply see the obstacle and either avoid it or try to line it up with the tires and crawl over it. There are too many factors that mother nature throws at us on the trail to worry about an inch or two one way or the other......when in doubt....use care and crawl over it......or use that armor under your jeep and crush them to hell.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So I was jobless this weekend and crawled up under the Jeep to "get familiar" with how everything is supposed to look, so I will know if/when something is not right. With more time on my hand I measured the clearance under both axle diffs. Front was at 10.5 inches and rear at 10.2 inches, good 1/2 inch less than the 10.8 inches spec. It is a stock 2Dr Rubicon with the stock tires at 37 psi and no load. Not a big deal or anything, just curious if anyone else was jobless enough to do this measurement.
Lemon law it. False advertising. Some intern nurd with a full CAD rendition using the unloaded catelog tire dimensions calculated the clearance. Make em pay.

(BTW, did you figure in the curvature of the earth?)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
I was making fun of your comment about the frames location and I've never dumped Diff. oil either--but over the years all I've ever read about was Diff. cover damage/shock mount mangling and busted axles--NEVER ANYTHING ABOUT THE FRAMES LACK OF CLEARANCE--

Now--we've covered this subject enough--I'm done !

W.E.

JIMBO

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
You think that people install lift kits for FRAME GROUND CLEARANCE ???

Lift kits are for BIG TIRES for LOOKS/SOCIAL STANDING/GROUND CLEARANCE--

Ground clearance for--Diff's/TRANNY'S/SHOCK MTS/ENGINE PAN/TIE RODS, and --of course--with all that, the FRAME RAILS are also lifted, but the rails HAVE NEVER MEEN MENTIONED BEFORE YOUR COMMENT--

They make complex/universal skid plates for all mentioned--except FRAME RAILS !

JIMBO

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So to return to the topic of what was supposed to be a light hearted thread that someone created for fun.

Mine measures 10-1/2" on the front and 10-1/8" on the back. Pretty much the same as yours COSJL.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
You're right--conversation over-

JIMBO

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Not calling anyone out, and you tried to wrap it up the debate before. It's all good. :like:

So shouldn't the Rubicon be slightly higher than the Sahara? I thought the stock tires were slightly bigger. Or are they the same overall diameter since I got the optional rims/tires instead of the standard set.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, generally the Rubicon is a little higher, because of the tires/shocks-etc, but

Remember, the tires overall height will depend on the --AIR PRESSURE-

My HANKOOKS are 35", but with 30 psi they usually run at 341/2"--

Heh Heh, it's all relative

Good luck

JIMBO

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Independent suspension would be a dream come true. No more pussying around due to the vulnerable solid axles.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Anyone have the factory recommended frame oil change interval? Oil spec? I have a jug of old blinker fluid. Will that meet the spec?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Ok we know about what the differential height is, but has anyone checked to see what those gawd aweful frame rail heights are? ;)

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Well, not to poke the bear, but the lowest point on my frame rails was around 14", which is well above the differential. It was high enough that I didn't even bother with an accurate measurement. The cross member is actually lower at 12" (which makes sense, since it's mounted to the bottom of the rails). However that's all still above the differential's lowest point. So technically speaking, the differential does seem to be the lowest component, with the obvious exception of the shock mounts, control arms, etc. that are actually connected to the wheel assembly.
Sponsored