I want a CD player

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
The upgrade from CD > Streaming is even more helpful that the upgrade from Cassette > CD. All that was was sound quality, lack of degradation, and skipping tracks.

Spotify (or Apple Music) is a game changer. It has your CDs, and it has the lyrics while you listen, and you can create playlists, remove tracks you don't like, and AND it takes up 1/3 of your screen, with maps using the other 2/3s.

Look, I use a reel mower and buy vinyl if it's available for things. Streaming while driving is a f'ing must.
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
The upgrade from CD > Streaming is even more helpful that the upgrade from Cassette > CD. All that was was sound quality, lack of degradation, and skipping tracks.

Spotify (or Apple Music) is a game changer. It has your CDs, and it has the lyrics while you listen, and you can create playlists, remove tracks you don't like, and AND it takes up 1/3 of your screen, with maps using the other 2/3s.

Look, I use a reel mower and buy vinyl if it's available for things. Streaming while driving is a f'ing must.
Until you're on a trail where you don't have cell coverage, which is a lot of them around here.

Ripping a CD collection to a thumb drive is best for me. All the songs I want, none that I don't, playlists for my different moods, no commercials, and the best part: no monthly subscription fee.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Until you're on a trail where you don't have cell coverage, which is a lot of them around here.
If the average song is 4 minutes...I'm good for well over a year before a song repeats.

Untitled.png

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
I was all into CD's in car systems until I started road trips back in college. Hauling around duffel bags full of CD's was beyond annoying and took up way too much space and I'd lose the odd CD here or there just forgetting to pack one away.

It's so much easier to have ALL my music with me now on my glorified iPod (using an old iPhone with no sim card) and just leave all the CDs safely in waterproof bins stored in my basement 😆

The only thing that sucks is when either the auto maker or Apple decide not to no longer support older devices with Carplay. I ended up in this limbo thanks to Uconnect 4 not supporting older versions of iOS that end of life'd on the last iPod I owned.

Another downside to ripped and streamed music and especially BT connected stuff, is you'll never have the same quality of sound that the original CD had. But then, this vehicle isn't exactly the "audiophile paradise" 😝

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Android phone.
I ripped all my CDs to mp3 a long time ago. Copy them to your phone and use YouTube Music or any of the other music players available in the Play store and connect your phone via bluetooth or, even better, Android auto. You get all your music plus all the meta data about the songs and you can create play lists. Using an app and Android Auto is a nicer experience than plugging in a thumb drive to the jeep.
I uploaded all my mp3s to Music.Youtube.com (free), so I have access to them via the YouTube Music app without having actual files all on my phone. I like listening to my own music too. They get cached on the phone so even if I'm somewhere with no internet service it still works.

Android Auto does have limitations on the number of songs it loads into the 8.4 song list display, but voice search works to find them all or searching on the phone has access to all of them. It will still play every song on your phone, you just can't search for them all from the head unit. At least not with YouTube Music.

I also use a wireless android auto adapter so I don't have to actually plug my phone into the jeep to use android auto. When I go in long trips I do plug it in to keep it charged.

sadmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Snazzberry
Android phone.
Even better, you cn by bypass itunes. Rip your CDs to your PC, then connect your phone to your PC via usb. Create a Music folder, either on your phones memory or on a micro SD card you can insert in your phone. To play music, you can use any one of a million music players on the Google play store. I use AIMP

Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Call me a dinosaur. I had a hard time switching from cassettes to CDs back in the day (I still have a lot of cassettes stashed somewhere). And now (while I love my new 23 JLU) I don't have a CD player. I like to go on road trips and listen to CDs. I have Sirius, and I have Pandora, but I'd like to be able to know what I'm listening to.

Does anyone know of a CD player you can connect to your 8.4 radio like you can do with your phone and have it play through your speakers.
I've wondered the same thing, I have music burned to a USB and a SXM subscription. Sometimes I like to walk past my collection of CDs on my way out and grab something to listen to. Ripping my whole collection to a USB stick isn't the same as looking at an entire physical library and pulling something you forgot about that makes the mood for the day.

More convenient != Better in some people's mind (including me).

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
Call me a dinosaur. I had a hard time switching from cassettes to CDs back in the day (I still have a lot of cassettes stashed somewhere). And now (while I love my new 23 JLU) I don't have a CD player. I like to go on road trips and listen to CDs. I have Sirius, and I have Pandora, but I'd like to be able to know what I'm listening to.

Does anyone know of a CD player you can connect to your 8.4 radio like you can do with your phone and have it play through your speakers.
Paul, I've got a ton of CDs as well, but over time ripped them to MP3 via iTunes on my PC. I then transferred what I wanted to this cheap 64GB tiny flash drive I got on Amazon for both my Jeep and our Buick Enclave: Amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ33-064G-G35 : Electronics

Using the free version of Media Monkey for PC ( MediaMonkey » Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter) I created playlists within that selected music that the 8.4 in the Jeep can read without issue, along with all the music or audiobooks you've ripped to MP3. I utilize the USB port inside the center console for the USB drive to keep it out of the way and it works just great. Once you've got all your music on it or whatever you want, you just leave it there and your whole library is available to you. I'm routinely downloading MP3 audiobooks from our base library and saving them to the drive to listen to at my leisure going to and from work or on any solo longer drives. Great for that, too. Hope this spurs some additional thoughts to those already provided.

Matt