First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm looking for a cassette deck with auto-reverse for my Wrangler.
Or how about a MiniDisc Player…? Hell, I would haul my record collection and hook up my Technics 1200 Turntable to my Head Unit instead….
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Or how about a MiniDisc Player…? Hell, I would haul my record collection and hook up my Technics 1200 Turntable to my Head Unit instead….
I loved my MiniDisc player, came with the braided headphones that would never get twisted and tangled up.

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,
The UConnect doesn't work that way. You can pump audio into it with the analog jack, but if you want to see song information and control tracks, you either need to Bluetooth it or run audio files off a USB drive.

Just rip your discs and pile your music onto a USB stick. The days of CDs in modern vehicles are over.
Please dumb this down for me. 'rip'. I have a Lenovo windows computer, an Apple 12 pro phone, and a couple of disc drives laying around. Also own a lot of cd's I love. Where can I go for a step by step procedure to get my favorite songs on a USB stick. Please only mention a format you would recommend, give the hardware I already own.
Thanks,
SHOJEEP (All my cars up till now had a cd player, and I never had to learn)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Please dumb this down for me. 'rip'. I have a Lenovo windows computer, an Apple 12 pro phone, and a couple of disc drives laying around. Also own a lot of cd's I love. Where can I go for a step by step procedure to get my favorite songs on a USB stick. Please only mention a format you would recommend, give the hardware I already own.
Thanks,
SHOJEEP (All my cars up till now had a cd player, and I never had to learn)
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+media+player+rip+music+from+cd

There are bazillions of resources on how to do this and many different ways to go about it, so pick your poison. However, if you want to keep it as simple as possible, I'd just fire up Windows Media Player, pop a disc in your computer, and click the Rip CD button. WMP should automatically acquire album and song data, create the appropriately titled folder of the disc into your Music folder, 'rip' all the tracks as MP3 files, and dump them into it. Copy that entire folder onto a USB stick and boom, you're done.

UConnect supports all common modern audio formats, such as MP3, M4A, and FLAC, so you shouldn't run into any compatibility problems with your files. However, when ripping to MP3, I recommend using the highest bitrate to retain as much audio fidelity as possible. You're always going to lose a little bit of quality by going with a compressed format, but a 320kbps song will sound much better than 128kbps. You can configure this from the Rip Music tab in the Options menu.

You can get really nuanced when it comes to meta data, though, and that's where programs such as Mp3tag come into play. However, I wouldn't mess with this until you're comfortable with ripping your music in general and have a handle on organizing your files. WMP does a decent job for what it is and is a good place to start.

Last edited:

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,

There are bazillions of resources on how to do this and many different ways to go about it, so pick your poison. However, if you want to keep it as simple as possible, I'd just fire up Windows Media Player, pop a disc in your computer, and click the Rip CD button. WMP should automatically acquire album and song data, create the appropriately titled folder of the disc into your Music folder, 'rip' all the tracks as MP3 files, and dump them into it. Copy that entire folder onto a USB stick and boom, you're done.

UConnect supports all common modern audio formats, such as MP3, M4A, and FLAC, so you shouldn't run into any compatibility problems with your files. However, when ripping to MP3, I recommend using the highest bitrate to retain as much audio fidelity as possible. You're always going to lose a little bit of quality by going with a compressed format, but a 320kbps song will sound much better than 128kbps. You can configure this from the Rip Music tab in the Options menu.

You can get really nuanced when it comes to meta data, though, and that's where programs such as Mp3tag come into play. However, I wouldn't mess with this until you're comfortable with ripping your music in general and have a handle or organizing your files. WMP does a decent job for what it is and is a good place to start.
Thanks. This helps alot. My computer doesn't have a cd slot, so I will hook up an auxillary drive. Sound quality is important, so I will stay with the highes kbps available.

Sponsored

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,
Thanks. This helps alot. My computer doesn't have a cd slot, so I will hook up an auxillary drive. Sound quality is important, so I will stay with the highes kbps available.
Okay, so I get my songs on a usb stick. How do I get my jeep to play them? I'm guessing nothing will happen if I just put the usb stick into the usb port. Thanks again for your help.

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,
I found a single disk player on Amazon that states it will work in the Jeep.

Citreal OE Integrated Vehicle CD Player for Car Via USB Radio Connection Portable CD Players with USB Connector Cable USBCDPLAY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099WD5JVX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_BEBCN3W6GZK9RHNE9N48
I bought one of these last week and tried it in my '21 F150 (also no cd player) It works perfect. Sound quality is excellent and I can control which songs I want to hear using the factory screen. Hopefully, it will work as well in my Jeep, if it ever shows up.
In the meantime, I went boldly into the future using Spank's advice to the tee. Turns out my 40 year old son was also astute and coached me.
My laptop would not 'see' the cd/dvd burner I bought, so I had to go to Microsoft on Google to get the free software. Then, my Windows Media Player (never used in five years) recognized the burner, and I got to work downloading a favorite music CD. Used 'flac' as recommended and the download went seamlessly. There are also many youtube videos on this. Then I had to find where the songs went on the computer so I right-clicked one of the songs. Mine went to a D drive folder and now I'm in business, because I can transfer the songs to both a 32k thumb drive I bought, and a mini-sd card that will fit in my old Pixel phone. I can pair the Pixel to either the Jeep or the truck.
I also bought an inexpensive walkman-type cd player with a 3.5mm plug that also should work in the Jeep. The truck does not have a 3.5mm plug but does have a USB which both powers and plays the aforementioned CD player I bought on Amazon.
As a boomer Engineer, I both taught classes and used a pencil to design tooling. I learned 95% of my computer skills from college interns assigned to me to teach casting skills. My first work computer was shared and used DOS. Being retired, I lost my knowledge base, but am still educable.
While I understand the humor, comedians have to understand that people may be trying to learn things they've never had to deal with, and shy people may just back down and stay disappointed so as not to be made fun of.
If this helps just one person, if was worth it. Thanks again to Spank for getting me off-center. I will share anything I've learned with anyone who asks.
SHOJEEP

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Oh, I traded in my Marlboro Miles to get my portable CD player. It has 10 second skip protection as well! Downside, it needs to be plugged into a cassette player.... (This was a true statement, in 1997).
10 second anti skip, that was legit. I remember my older brother got his Kenwood with 10 second A.S. and he thought it was better than sliced bread. I was bummed I didn't have one. I saved my yard money and the next year got a Kenwood with 45 second A.S. AND it had a window on top so you could see the disk spinning. Who's got the cool sh!t now!?
Bought my first CD (Offspring - Smash) and it changed long family road trips forever.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
32 Gig mini USB stick in the console. 4200+ songs. Complete search, browse, album covers, info and and skip. works perfectly.

G.

P.S. What's a CD??? (only kidding, I'm probably way older than a lot of you.) ;)

Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

You can get really nuanced when it comes to meta data, though, and that's where programs such as Mp3tag come into play. However, I wouldn't mess with this until you're comfortable with ripping your music in general and have a handle on organizing your files. WMP does a decent job for what it is and is a good place to start.
I used "Media Monkey". It also can do MP3 tagging and album art. I have a thumb drive with 40GB of music. Jeep indexes it fine, can access all of it with voice command. It takes a while to really clean and review a collection.

I agree on higher bit rate. I have some older rips that don't sound as good, but since I have basically done the process twice, I am not looking to re-rip any music these days. I still buy an occasional CD, immediately rip it, then update the thumb drives in each vehicle. (Home NAS also feeds Sonos and Plex, but that is for a different forum :) )

The size of collection could just be stored on my iPhone too, but I HATE iTunes. In fact a lot of my library cleaning was to fix my collection after leaving iTunes for "DIY".

On the 8.4", you can see album art, etc, looks just like SiriusXM.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Then, my Windows Media Player (never used in five years) recognized the burner, and I got to work downloading a favorite music CD. Used 'flac' as recommended and the download went seamlessly.
I haven't used WMP in forever, either, but the fact it supports FLAC is even better.

Okay, so I get my songs on a usb stick. How do I get my jeep to play them? I'm guessing nothing will happen if I just put the usb stick into the usb port. Thanks again for your help.
Plug the stick into a USB port and pick that port from the UConnect Media screen. It doesn't matter how you have them organized in folders, either. It'll scan the entire drive and play all the audio files on it that it supports. At this point, you can randomize what it plays, choose by album or artist, etc.

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,
I haven't used WMP in forever, either, but the fact it supports FLAC is even better.

Plug the stick into a USB port and pick that port from the UConnect Media screen. It doesn't matter how you have them organized in folders, either. It'll scan the entire drive and play all the audio files on it that it supports. At this point, you can randomize what it plays, choose by album or artist, etc.
Now if I just had my Jeep......

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,
UPDATE- I took the USB stick, 32K 3.0, with a cd ripped using Windows Media Player with the flac format out to my '21 F150. Sync 4 recognized the USB drive with music right away and displayed all of the songs and author on the 12" screen. I can touch any song and it begins to play instantly with amazing fidelity, as good or better than the aforementioned CD player I bought on Amazon. Thanks again to all of you folks for getting me off-center. This is great!!!
SHOJEEP
Sponsored