Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Given the reputation (deserved for the most part) of the typical auto dealership I would prefer that they not install a 3rd party tracker. If anybody is going to abuse and/or lose my personal information my first thought is the dealer. Yes - Big tech as well as the manufactures are tracking our data too, but I would expect they are slightly more careful with my data that the disgruntled sales person leaving the high pressure second sticker dealership in a huff....
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
This is what was in my JL when I bought it new from a Jeep dealer in 2020. The dealer had already pre-installed these in most of their vehicles on the lot. It was listed on a "addendum" sticker next to the factory window sticker as part of a dealer "pack" which included this , window tinting, etc... I told them I wouldn't buy unless they removed it and deducted the addendum. This unit is easy to find and uninstall your self because it uses a "jumper" plugged into the factory OBDII conector.
Yeah. I kept having issues with my aux battery and it kept getting depleted, I lost my first one prematurely. When I unplugged this POS my battery issues ended. Maybe this thing is the culprit of many aux battery failures people experience?. But to be honest I am not sure where it draws its power from to recharge itself. Since both batteries are connected in parallel I assume it draws from main which then draws from aux.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Jeeps pretty upfront about Uconnect ability to connect and track remotely. They can even update the vehicles software. I like it for its LoJack like ability. None of that matters really bc your phone is always tracking you. I used to work for a company that bought granular location data down to the individual device level. While we couldnā€™t tell it was John Smith by name, we could see person 12345678 location data down to the minute and 10 sq meter location for the last year. We knew when someone got off a train and walked into the same coffee shop everyday and then crossed the street and into his office. This data is available for anyone over the age of 18. 250 million ish people since almost everyone carries a phone.. for those folks who turn off their phone or try to trick the trackers- bahahahaha. Nice try but youā€™re still being tracked and AI software can fill in the blanks in seconds. And if you have a bank account, a credit card, an Amazon account, an account on any major social media like Facebook, watch tv thru cable or satellite tv and have typed anything into google search bar - there are roughly 5000 attributes of data tracked and assigned to everyone over the age of 18. Even though these data bases are separate they can easily be connected to create a very granular profile of everyone. Every site youā€™ve ever visited can be attached to this profile. 99.999999 % of people donā€™t have the time or resources to erase themselves. while your privacy is protected much of the time by laws and such anyone with 10 million dollars and cloud storage can stitch it together. 10 million bucks is chump change In the face of billions of dollars. Your Jeepā€˜s location is the least of your concerns.
How does the tracking device differentiate between people over 18 years old and people 18 and younger? Or doesn't it?

Last edited:

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Wouldn't this be how they are able to locate your vehicle in the event it was stolen? Part of the Uconnect service?

Sponsored

OP
OP
openingshok

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
So thereā€™s another problem solved. I donā€™t have to take back a stolen vehicle that was driven like it was stolen, stripped and left topless in the rain. Of course I have another safeguard against that. Mine is a 6 speed. The thief will never get it backed out of the parking spot šŸ¤£

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Sirius Antenna: 68293949AA

One of the components needed to have Sirius radio is a GPS receiver antenna. Android Auto on the 7inch screen can use this to improve GPS accuracy.

Having a GPS receiver doesnt mean that you have a transmitter though. So this doesnt mean you can be "tracked" I dont think.

But that doesnt matter much honestly. The fact you are posting on this forum means you have a device that can be tracked. And you being connected to the internet means more important data about "yourself" is being collected.

Now. can your Jeep send data to stellantis without taking to the dealer? That I dont know.

Anyway I am more worried about what corporations are allowed to do with our data than the fact they can collect our data. They can and will continue to collect information about us and there's not much we can do about that. There is also the real concern of private individuals being able to store so much of these data that is vulnerable to enemies cyber attacks. A lot of it isn't even protected at all.
There's no GPS antenna in my sport.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I don't have any odb lines connected, I did however find this:
Jeep Wrangler JL I found the sneaky bastard!! 20220302_174732

T-tapped into my odb hot wire, and zip tied yo the dash support. Some sort of Karr system maybe? No led's flashing, but still pulled the inline fuse until I have time to remove it properly.

Sponsored

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I get regular emails with such data as oil life, tire pressure, recall info, etc. I also get emails after airing down tires stating my Jeep needs immediate attention. I assume thereā€™s a similar device installed somewhere but I havenā€™t found it yet.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Can you use it to make phone calls? :LOL:
I'd love to put that sim card in an unlocked phone and see if it can be used. If it can, start using it to make calls. Lol!

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
How does the tracking device differentiate between people over 18 years old and people 18 and younger? Or doesn't it?
The tracking device itself doesnā€™t know but the entity collecting the data does and only 18+ data is for sale/usage to oversimplify it. the device in the location based data is your own phone.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Well maybe I'm not getting it, but is this dealer installed or do we all have this?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Well maybe I'm not getting it, but is this dealer installed or do we all have this?
What was shown 103 posts ago was dealer installed.
Sponsored