How will the JL debut affect JK resale?

• Total voters

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they do have 0% financing, just depends on the time of year. Not only have I seen it up here, but also on US TV from the Pacific NW and Detroit areas.

Currently 2017s are available with 0% up here.

IMG_0948.JPG

and..

IMG_0950.JPG

and..

IMG_0949.PNG

Since those are Canadian, here's one from Texas...

IMG_0952.jpg
Most likely because Wrangler sales have been on the decline for 2017. They didn't have these rates when I bought mine which was 7 years into production of the JK. That was my point that I highly doubt you will see zero % on the JL for anytime soon.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Most likely because Wrangler sales have been on the decline for 2017. They didn't have these rates when I bought mine which was 7 years into production of the JK. That was my point that I highly doubt you will see zero % on the JL for anytime soon.
But there could be at the cross-over between 2018/2019 next Summer.
Which is precisely when I usually see that promotion. End of one Model Year, and also End of Calendar Year.

There are always lulls, I don't think I've seen a year without a 0% promotion at either Xmas or summer since at least the Pentastar refresh, and it's not like they weren't selling like hotcakes.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The 0% is over 36 payments. While killer rate - still quite a payment for the average buyer. I just financed at a little over 2% for 6 years.

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
I know it's like a decade ago but anyone remember how TJ resale values were affected by the JK when it came out?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The TJ didn't take a hit as much as you'd expect when the JK came out because nobody was fond of the 3.8L engine. Not enthusiasts and not the average consumer. Likewise, Chrysler looked like it was circling the drain when the JK debuted. IMO, I never thought the 3.8L was all that bad (so long as it wasn't one that ate oil), but the awful 42RLE it was paired with. Holy hell, that transmission was a horrendous piece of garbage.

If you look at a 2006 TJ, a 2010 JK, and a 2012 JK 2-door all with 75k miles on them, their price differences are negligible. The TJ was adored. The JK took some time before everyone fell in love with it and despite how much they've tweaked, fixed, and finally gotten right, it still will never be as loved as the TJ.

Nonetheless, the biggest factors in maintaining a high resale value for a JK are four doors, the Pentastar with the WA580, and a hard top. JK values will drop, sure, but a Rubi with those options won't quite take a hit.

I still don't understand the logic in building a 2018 JK, but I gotta wonder if its mere existence might actually help the JK hold its resale value a little longer when the JLs are on lots.

Sponsored

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
The rumored "deep discount" of the JKs in March when production ends, I think will have a large impact on the used JK market. We'll see what "deeply discounted" means. I'm struggling the understand why releasing a 2018 JK alongside a 2018 JL is a good idea. That seems to me like it would only dilute the JK market, as they'll struggle to sell a brand new JK sitting next to a brand new JL, and eventually offer serious incentives to move them.

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2014 GC Limited with a Hemi
When the completely redesigned JL with all kinds of new environmental compliance driven electrical components hits the market and is fraught with buggy electrical issues the first few years the JK may become more valuable. Many/most car models that go hi-tech experience a slew of glitches early on when they go high tech, even Mercedes on up.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When the completely redesigned JL with all kinds of new environmental compliance driven electrical components hits the market and is fraught with buggy electrical issues the first few years the JK may become more valuable. Many/most car models that go hi-tech experience a slew of glitches early on when they go high tech, even Mercedes on up.
This is my biggest belief as to why the JK ain't gonna drop as quickly in value as some would think. Yes, the JL will be a huge improvement in technology, but FCA has a proven track record of releasing new, first year vehicles with a litany of issues.

Hell, they've just recently gotten the 9-speed transmission in the Cherokee figured out and it came out three years ago.

Duringo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The "new" tech itself isn't really new, it's just new for Wrangler which has always majorly lagged behind other vehicles and more importantly other FCA vehicles that have served as the test bed before making it will make its way to the JL. Like the 3.6L ESS which most JLs will have has been used in the JGC for a few years, and all of the safety tech. How it all works together on the JL may be the cause of potential issues but it's not like the JL is debuting with bleeding edge features/tech.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The "new" tech itself isn't really new, it's just new for Wrangler which has always majorly lagged behind other vehicles and more importantly other FCA vehicles that have served as the test bed before making it will make its way to the JL.
Sure the GC Pentastar is likely the same, but that's not the extent of the updates, nor is it re-assuring.
The original Pentastar didn't have all it's bugs sorted out in the Grand Cherokee before it came to the Wrangler taking a further 18months beyond the Wrangler to start to get a handle on it foibles.

Now that's an example with a donor test vehicle for 100s of thousand of guinea pigs, now some completely new to Wrangler features;

• New Hurricane 2.0L is new along with BSG which itself is new to N.AM. FCA products.
  • 3.0 Diesel w/ ESS is new. Transmission for diesel will be 2nd year of GenII so 'newish'.
  • Manual transmission is new.
  • Elctro-Hydraulic Telescoping steering is new.
  • Axles are new (and not just Dana U44 updates like the Recon, but completely new).
  • Sahara's Selec-Trac is new as it's likely not left-over 242s but some new update/refresh.
  • Solid axle CV joints on Sahara are new
  • Front Windshield realease/open system is new
  • Hard-top and soft tops are new, if only for their new bigger attachment point & system.
  • Hardtop window opening and wiper location are new.
  • Power tops are new
  • New larger number of airbags (including curtain) working beyond prior in-seat option.
  • Greater use of Aluminium is new (did they do a good job against galvanic corrosion?)
  • Brakes appear to be new... but that is low tech and may simply be adding Mopar BBK.
  • New Mirrors which is low tech, but still not just adding some other vehicle's mirrors.
Then you can also add the 'new to a Wrangler' implementations that are still questionable as to their ability to endure on a Wrangler like New keyless entry and New pull-to-open door latches, etc. new centre console, new window controls which were already finicky, posibly new door wire loom for easy removal. And then all that safety tech has never been on a vehicle where the large number of users remove the doors, bumpers, change the ride height. They can get some feedback from Ram, but they are still a minority vs Wranglers.

It's still not an ooga-booga scary witches brew of new, but there is a fair amount of new things to take into account that can be poorly implemented or may need tweaking in the 2019 MY refresh (or later for the late arriving features like Diesel and Pentastar BSG).

Last edited:

Sponsored

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
it all depends on the actual difference in price between an equally (if applicable) JK vs JL.................and frankly for the probably 90% of people that buy a new vehicle the price doesn't really matter, you are buying a "payment"...........a 2018 JK isn't gonna be a whole lot different than a 2015 o4 16 or 17 as far as value goes relative to milage............JK still going to hold its own as Im thinking the JL is going to be easily 15 or 20% more;);)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The "new" tech itself isn't really new, it's just new for Wrangler which has always majorly lagged behind other vehicles and more importantly other FCA vehicles that have served as the test bed before making it will make its way to the JL. Like the 3.6L ESS which most JLs will have has been used in the JGC for a few years, and all of the safety tech. How it all works together on the JL may be the cause of potential issues but it's not like the JL is debuting with bleeding edge features/tech.
True, but as I argued in another thread, the JK debuted with a lot of really, really old equipment that had been around for years and it was riddled with issues well into the refresh of 2012. The technology won't be new, but its application into a Wrangler will be.

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2014 GC Limited with a Hemi
My 2012 JKR with the new to Wrangler Pentastar needed a new left cylindar head at 22K miles, as did many others. Loving it now, but annoying scary times early on. Not being critical of the pending JL, but these things happen with new models, and this change is a little more significant than the MY '11 to '12 changes.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Any attempt to apply logic to wrangler resale is futile. The used wrangler market is irrational.

I think of it like if I came into some money and decided I wanted a Porsche 911. I'd assume used is cheaper and would shop for color,miles, and ragtop. I am pretty sure there are dozens of variations in a 911 over the past 10-15 years and probably a good argument for just buying new. But to me they all look the same!

That's the way Wranglers are to the general public.

Knobby

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I voted for no change. However, I think there could be a fourth option: accelerated.

I think a lot of people will realize this is their last chance to get a new JK.
Sponsored