Sponsored

Will these storage trays affect the airbag?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It would seem to cover that lower section of the passenger airbag, just wondering if it would be enough to interfere with the system???
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XXQRHZZ
I already ordered one, so hopefully not :)
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It would seem to cover that lower section of the passenger airbag, just wondering if it would be enough to interfere with the system???
I was wondering the same. It's a neat idea but I don't want anything else flying at me in the event of an accident:(

EJA

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
The passenger airbag will deploy over the handle and keep anything in the bin from going towards the occupant. I would be OK with it as long as you don't put anything ridiculous in it.

Don't put something in it that sticks above the handle.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The airbag will still deploy but depending on what’s in that tray it could possibly be an issue. Something large, heavy, or that stands up significantly could be thrown at your passenger’s face or body at a bazillion miles per second.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
The passenger airbag will deploy over the handle and keep anything in the bin from going towards the occupant. I would be OK with it as long as you don't put anything ridiculous in it.

Don't put something in it that sticks above the handle.
Like a cell phone.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Lol like most pics demonstrate:facepalm:

71qs+n8Ko5L._SX466_.jpg
lol, say goodbye to that phone in case of an accident... and maybe a flame thrown at your pants... :surprised:

Good thing theres a slot in the cupholders I use for my phone.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The airbag will still deploy but depending on what’s in that tray it could possibly be an issue. Something large, heavy, or that stands up significantly could be thrown at your passenger’s face or body at a bazillion miles per second.
100% agree.

I looked at this tray too and concluded that the TRAY might not be the issue but anything in the tray could be. Worst case someone could have a cell phone or keys or “whatever” blasted at them at the speed of light. IF that was possible, the concept of loosing an eye or breaking a cheek bone or knocking out teeth for the “benefit” of a little tray doesn’t seem like a good balance to me.

I decided that IF Mopar made a similar tray, it would potentially be “safe”....... but I couldn’t find one by Mopar. Only no-name third parties. So, I decided ....’not worth the bother’

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I think everything that's been said about keeping contents of the device--which I own--not protruding beyond the height of the top of the factory handle will not prevent the passenger airbag from deploying, nor do so in a manner than will cause further injury beyond that one normally might experience coming into contact with an inflated bag at high speed.

Then again, and pardon for being graphic: a broken nose hitting an inflated air bag beats one's head going through the windshield, leaving their body within the cabin interior--if you catch my drift.

=====

Seriousness aside, now THIS would have been cool for Mythbusters to have tested with a ballistic gel dummy in the front passenger's seat and some "thowing stars" protruding out from the top of the grab handle in this device, while a JL is crashed at high speeds into a cement wall. We'll make it a JL already totaled in an accident, as a new JL is too beautiful a thing to crash on purpose.

Yeah---I think the only think that my be reusable after that would be, possible, the throwing stars. ;)

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
We have had one in our Jeep for awhile my wife likes to lay her phone sideways in it if the bag deployed it would go over the phone. and in an accident other things are most likely flying around

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
...just a moment to ponder....

I would be upset if this device affected deployment of the airbag or increased the possibility of injury as a result of its deployment beyond that airbags often cause when hit at high speeds by passengers...

..clearly a good tradeoff statistically versus ending up in the vehicle in front of you.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure I'd feel as bad if this product adversely affected douche bags.

...just sayin'

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Lol like most pics demonstrate:facepalm:

71qs+n8Ko5L._SX466_.jpg
LOL—I thought the same thing when I saw that on Amazon like a month ago! That’s gonna hurt.
Sponsored