Sponsored

Will these storage trays affect the airbag?

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
My rule is keep stuff away from the airbag. I'm just thinking an accident that causes the airbag to deploy may include a rough bounce or 2 in the process, as such whatever you have in there may go into the air and get launched at the person the air bag is trying to protect. Maybe even the tray could get airborne.

I'd cancel the order or just return it. Don't worry Amazon won't go out of business, I think they are doing ok.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
We have had one in our Jeep for awhile my wife likes to lay her phone sideways in it if the bag deployed it would go over the phone.
This assumes that the contents of the tray, and the tray itself, stay in position before the airbags deploy. They probably wonā€™t.

I got on of these for Christmas. Itā€™s only deep enough for a few pens or small pieces of paper like parking receipts.

Iā€™m taking it out. Not worth it.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I bought one for my cell phone. It was pointed out by another member that it would get in the way of the airbag. That was a total bummer for me. I leave my keys in it now because Iā€™m determined to use it and I usually have drinks in the car that get in the way of the actual key holder. I feel like I wasted my money on it but itā€™s always nice to have extra storage in the car and I can use it for small things.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Will these storage trays affect the airbag?

How will storage trays affect my mother-in-law??? WTF

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I was just planning to use them for loose change, I've been keeping it in that flat tray under the radio but that's a PITA to try and scoop it out without it falling to the console or floor. Good input here, definitely thinking about just returning it but that extra space is at a premium w/ these vehicles. Sure wouldn't want anything to happen to my sweetie though :(

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I was just planning to use them for loose change, I've been keeping it in that flat tray under the radio but that's a PITA to try and scoop it out without it falling to the console or floor. Good input here, definitely thinking about just returning it but that extra space is at a premium w/ these vehicles. Sure wouldn't want anything to happen to my sweetie though :(
What about the Gibson Leather @Blkjak saddle bag? Sorry, but I can't find the link atm. But I really like those and will pick one up later:like:

Edit: found it
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-center-console-saddle-bags.21274/

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
100% agree.

I looked at this tray too and concluded that the TRAY might not be the issue but anything in the tray could be. Worst case someone could have a cell phone or keys or ā€œwhateverā€ blasted at them at the speed of light. IF that was possible, the concept of loosing an eye or breaking a cheek bone or knocking out teeth for the ā€œbenefitā€ of a little tray doesnā€™t seem like a good balance to me.

I decided that IF Mopar made a similar tray, it would potentially be ā€œsafeā€....... but I couldnā€™t find one by Mopar. Only no-name third parties. So, I decided ....ā€™not worth the botherā€™
I don't know. I have one. Some background: Before I retired I used to work for GM as a test dummy in high speed crashes. The union said I could only do 15 crashes a year due to surgeries, hospitalizations, recovery and rehab but my biggest lesson came in crash number 1. IF YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR AT HIGH SPEED HEAD ON INTO A WALL OR HEAD ON INTO ANOTHER VEHICLE YOU WON'T CARE IF YOU LEFT YOUR NOTE 10+ IN THE HANDLE SLOT. So, because of my professional experience I'll take my chances.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Put her in the passenger seat with $50 with of quarters in the tray and hit a brick wall @50mph:giggle:... Pics are always encouraged:like:
That's wayyyyyy too much trouble. I use an open stiletto.

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Bought and now I donā€™t use it. Would rather have the ones that go on either side of lower console. Thought my wife would use it for her phone, instead it gets snacks and trash. Save your money for something else.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I bought one for my cell phone. It was pointed out by another member that it would get in the way of the airbag. That was a total bummer for me. I leave my keys in it now because Iā€™m determined to use it and I usually have drinks in the car that get in the way of the actual key holder. I feel like I wasted my money on it but itā€™s always nice to have extra storage in the car and I can use it for small things.
Those "small things " can be accelerated to injurious speeds when they bounce up, get swatted at passenger by air bag. Maybe a shop rag, or handkerchief.. Pens, keys, coins, phones...not if you value your passenger.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I was wondering the same. It's a neat idea but I don't want anything else flying at me in the event of an accident:(
you are driving, so it's all good. beside, it's impossible to wreck out in the country side of ohio.
Sponsored