• Total voters

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I bought a new 2017 JKU Sahara last year. I lost my company car and needed to buy a vehicle, so I couldn't wait until the 2018 Jeep. Plus I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I'm sold on the 2018 JKU, when would be the best time to sell my 2017? It only had 9k miles. I got a great deal so I'm not going to be out a ton of money. Should I sell now, sell when I can see the 2018 in person, or just trade it in when I purchase it?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The TJ didn't do much to the resale on the YJ, and the JK had little effect on the TJ. With the JK down to 50% production capacity, and the JL on only 1 production line that will likely move slowly at first, combined with the highest ever demand for Wranglers, I don't think it will have any effect, at all, on JK resale. In fact, with JK/JL supply being reduced for at least a short while, it may increase.

Anyway, history shows minimal impact.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm thinking the big price increase across the board on JLs ( $2,500) will keep the JK resale values high.
The popularity of the JK will remain , the JK and JL are similar enough in appearance so that the JK won't offend Snobs by looking "dated" . Thanks to the price increase, more buyers will be drawn to the JK, which has tremendous Aftermarket parts and accessories support , and a proven 10 year production run.
Plus, I'm seeing some really nice aftermarket solutions coming out that address the JKs shortfalls in the hard and soft tops, brakes, lighting.
That keeps JK value high, to present and future owners, in my opinion.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
With the JK down to 50% production capacity...
Where are you getting this 50% from?
Every indication is full bore 'til close in April, that's the whole point

In fact, with JK/JL supply being reduced for at least a short while, it may increase.
'In fact' supply would increase even if both were running at 60% capacity after launch until the JK ended in April.

I'd love to see your source for the 50% number, because if that were true they wouldn't have been able to sell 17,000 last month with only 50% production.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
FCA is doing a lot of factory retooling and switching. The 2018 JK is meant to allow them to ease into the JL production. It ensures that there's a steady stream of Wranglers on the market while they are ramping up production slowly on the new model.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I voted for no change. However, I think there could be a fourth option: accelerated.

I think a lot of people will realize this is their last chance to get a new JK.
And this is the reason I just bought a brand new white JKU Willy's Wheeler 2018 Limited Edition (just come in to the dealer and had 3 miles on it when I test drove it).

1. I got a $5000 plus reduction in price from MSRP of $39k.
2. The JL Sport have an option of only 3.45 gear axle ratio whereas the JKU Willys is 3.73.
3. Love the looks of the Willys compared to the JL Sport - mainly the rims and knobby tires.
4. I always drive a manual transmission. The dealer didn't have a manual tranny JL for me to test drive - but again, I like the gear axle ration of 3.73 better.
5. Since this is the last edition of Willys trim in JK, and JL does not have it (yet), I hope there is some premium as a collector value for the last of it - but even then I love the knobby tires and the black contrast of the rims to the white paint.
Sponsored

Last edited: