Sponsored

How/Where do you mount the ARB CKMA12 Compressor?

jeepinbird

First Name
Bird
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I was not concerned as much with how quickly I could refill my tires so I just purchased the single ARB compressor (CKMA12) rather than the dual compressor version. While I've seen a mounting bracket available for the dual version, I have not seen anything out there for the single.

Has anyone had any success in mounting the smaller version and if so, where and how did you mount it?
Sponsored

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
Following. I'm curious about the same thing.

OP
OP
jeepinbird

jeepinbird

First Name
Bird
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to bolt it directly to the body underneath the front passenger seat. I haven't found a place to mount the switch yet, however, and currently just have it dangling loose under the seat.

If anyone goes the same route, the supplied harness isn't quite long enough to reach the battery and still have the ability to tuck the wire along the passenger side door. I had to extend the wire about 18" to reach the battery comfortably. I'll post pics of the finished product when I get the switch mounted...somewhere. If anyone has any ideas on that, I'm all ears.

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a post somewhere with a couple of guys who had mounted it in the underfloor cubby in the cargo area. Looks very clean, protects the unit, allows easy access for use and maintenance, keeps it back out of site. Might be an issue if you use it for lockers since it would run with the lid closed (unless you removed the lid obviously). But even that would only be a slight concern from an air volume standpoint. Heat-wise, it won't get any hotter back there than it would in the engine bay. One guy even routed the hose quick disconnect up to a trim piece so he wouldn't HAVE to unload the rear to use it. I'll post the link if I can find the thread again.

Mrbiggerstaff

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Rubicon
How about you wiring this unit? I have factory aux switches. Can I wire power straight to Aux 1 or 2 or so I have to go to the battery? And if I go to the battery then what do I wire to the aux switch to turn it on?

Oh, and for mounting, I mounted upside down under the rear passenger seat. Took off the cushions and used mounting plate that came with compressor. Will prob have to trim the bolts so they don't catch when the seat is put down. (still trying to figure out how to wire to factory Aux switches w/o going to the battery since they are pulling 23 Amps during load and we have Aux 1/2 making 40amps avail. Any advice?

Last edited:

Sponsored

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
How about you wiring this unit? I have factory aux switches. Can I wire power straight to Aux 1 or 2 or so I have to go to the battery? And if I go to the battery then what do I wire to the aux switch to turn it on?

Oh, and for mounting, I mounted upside down under the rear passenger seat. Took off the cushions and used mounting plate that came with compressor. Will prob have to trim the bolts so they don't catch when the seat is put down. (still trying to figure out how to wire to factory Aux switches w/o going to the battery since they are pulling 23 Amps during load and we have Aux 1/2 making 40amps avail. Any advice?
Full disclosure - I haven't yet had a chance to buy and try this wiring idea, I'll throw my 2 cents in in case it's helpful.

My preferred option is to wire the power source directly to the battery. With the length of wire needed to run to under the seat, I'd prefer to run a thicker gauge wire to handle the current. So all that said - my plan is to wire Aux 3 or 4 in series to the pressure switch, which then runs to the coil side of the relay. The battery wire runs to the contact side of the relay, which then runs to your compressor. (sorry for the quality of the sketch, haven't gotten around to adding it to my electrical drawing yet)

If you really wanted to avoid running the battery wire, I suppose you could try running a wire from Aux 1 or 2 to the pressure switch, and then on to the compressor. I would have my doubts that the pressure switch is rated for that kind of amperage draw, so you may burn the switch/ cause other problems.

20190101_105015.jpg

Mrbiggerstaff

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Rubicon
I def donā€™t want to use more than 1 aux switch for this setup.. Iā€™m calling ARB tomorrow. I may need to return this model and go with the twin compressor. Itā€™s seems simpler setting up for JL. Iā€™ll let you know what arb says for setting up the single w the JL aux switches.

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I def donā€™t want to use more than 1 aux switch for this setup.. Iā€™m calling ARB tomorrow. I may need to return this model and go with the twin compressor. Itā€™s seems simpler setting up for JL. Iā€™ll let you know what arb says for setting up the single w the JL aux switches.
Ah, I just re-read my post, apologies for any confusion there! I actually outlined two totally separate options, one in each paragraph, each option only uses 1 switch. So option 1 was to use either Aux 3 or Aux 4 as the activation. This is the option I sketched out. Basically AUX3-pressure switch-relay activation. The relay activation then closes the contact side and provides compressor motor power directly from the battery

The other option is to remove the relay entirely and power it from Aux 1 or Aux 2, using the pressure switch to kill power (assuming it's normally-closed switch) by wiring it in series: AUX1 (hot) - pressure switch - compressor motor power - ground. I really don't think the switch will withstand that kind of current though.

I am curious what ARB says about this, thanks!. It's odd to me that the wiring is so different between the models. It looks like on the twin they put the relay inside the unit itself, where as on the single it's in the wiring harness?

Mrbiggerstaff

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Rubicon
I got you. Thanks. Yeah the wiring looks quite diff with the models. I mean, no pressure switch at all exteriorly on the twin. Interesting. Iā€™ve spent 3 days messing with this setup. Hopping for a solution tomorrow! Iā€™ll let yaā€™ll know.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I wired my single HO directly to the battery. There is in fact a small opening sort of under the windshield and behind the plastic panels on the passenger side. There is some foam you can push the wires through and reach them by removing the outside cowl.

However, I used aux 3 to power the compressor on or off, not the arb toggle switch.

Mounted the compressor under passenger seat.

B4F99A19-3613-4935-9B56-E091EC7F515D.jpeg

5E47A082-BA8C-4769-B633-8C9398A09EA4.jpeg

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I had planned to mount mine under the seat in my 2 door as sitting on the roll bar like that is begging to be stolen when I'm dd the jeep with the top off. I've since decided to make my own power tank setup and just ditch the twin arb since I dont need it for air lockers anymore.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I had planned to mount mine under the seat in my 2 door as sitting on the roll bar like that is begging to be stolen when I'm dd the jeep with the top off. I've since decided to make my own power tank setup and just ditch the twin arb since I dont need it for air lockers anymore.
The problem I had with under-seat mounting was that it got in the way of the rubber floor mat. I've also go security torx bolts coming in for the theft issue. I'm not terribly concerned about it though.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I mounted mine inside the lower bumper skid that came with my LOD Destroyer bumper. I trashed the relay and pressure switch since not using air lockers and mounted a 150 psi blow off inline to the air coupler that sits in my winch plate. Used aux switches for power. Ran intake hose up into fender well.

I didnā€™t like the idea of mounting it inside the cabin as it would be too noisy for passengers sitting in the ac in the summertime.

Mrbiggerstaff

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Rubicon
I mounted mine inside the lower bumper skid that came with my LOD Destroyer bumper. I trashed the relay and pressure switch since not using air lockers and mounted a 150 psi blow off inline to the air coupler that sits in my winch plate. Used aux switches for power. Ran intake hose up into fender well.

I didnā€™t like the idea of mounting it inside the cabin as it would be too noisy for passengers sitting in the ac in the summertime.
Could you post a pic of the inline blow off? Does the compressor just keep running constantly then? And the blow off just releases the extra pressure?
Sponsored