Sponsored

How to kill a deer with your Wrangler without getting ANY body damage.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
On Monday the 19th of December 2022 I was driving to work in the morning. The time was about 5:35 am and the temperature was around zero but there was no wind. About 2 miles from my house a deer ran across the road about 50 feet in front of my vehicle. Knowing there may be more deer close by I began to slow down. The speed limit on that road is 50 mph.

Seconds later I noticed a flash of something on the left of my Jeep and then heard a collision with, no surprise, a deer. I pulled over on the shoulder and jumped out of my Wrangler expecting to see some major damage. I was shocked to not notice any immediately so I grabbed my phone and used its light to try to see any body parts on my Jeep that weren't normal. I still saw nothing but a phone doesn't throw a lot of light anyway.

I did notice the deer laying motionless in the middle of the road behind me. This is a four lane road divided by a medium, 2 lanes on each side. Since it was dark I was afraid other cars were going to run over it as about a half dozen vehicles drove by as I was checking for damage. I walked up to the deer and noticed it appeared to be dead with some blood near its head.

I dragged to deer off the road and onto the shoulder and continued on to work. I looked for damage again in the parking lot and still didn't see any but it was still dark except for the lights in the lot. When the sun came up a few hours later I reexamined my Wrangler for damage but couldn't find any. The sun was up but the sky was cloudy so it wasn't like looking with a spot light.

I still couldn't believe you could hit AND kill a deer with your vehicle yet still not have ANY proof showing such as dents or scratches. I could not find an impact mark on the front bumper, any damage to the front fender or a dent in the driver's door. So, I went out to where it was parked when the sun was higher in the sky and looked close, really close.

What I discovered surprised me, my front drivers side tire had a CRACKED sidewall. And then I noticed deer hair stuck between the wheel and tire opposite the crack in the sidewall. Apparently this deer ran smack into the front tire yet missed the front bumper, front fender or doors. I have the standard Sahara side steps so maybe that prevented the deer from flipping up to hit the Jeep's body.

I was very pleased the only thing I had to do was get the tire replaced by Discount Tire as I have the road hazard certificate. The wheel had no damage whatsoever which is strange considering I would have expected a nick or at least a scratch. Nope, just some deer hair left behind. I felt very, very lucky!

Cracked tire.jpg

thumbnail.jpg
Sponsored

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Truly lucky! Also time to equip a flash light in the Jeep. I keep this tool and itā€™s very handy.

F052F265-6E3A-432C-9E0C-69AB112A616E.png

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Very lucky. I have 4 vehicle/ deer kills under my belt with a fair amount of damage on every one.

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
Donā€™t you have to report to Game and Fish?

Sponsored

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
Donā€™t you have to report to Game and Fish?
We don't here in NJ. Technically it's a crash report, but if there is no damage, and no report required, that's the end of the story.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
Better get that lottery ticket. That is lucky as hell. Glad you and the Jeep were ok.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Glad your Jeep was okay, but personally I'd think twice about dragging the carcass off the road myself. If it wasn't dead and came-to while you were dragging it that could have gone wrong in a hurry.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I put a RockHard front bumber on mine shortly after I got it. Smacked a deer a couple of weeks later with zero damage . Just needed a little soap and water.

Sponsored

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
You are fortunate. I've got 5 deer kill emblems on my fender. That was with 5 different vehicles. The wife only has 1. Always had damage from total to minor.

If it had been convenient, I would have took the deer as well. Sounds like blunt trauma force to the head was cause of death.
I could tell you some stories...

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
I would never just leave it lay.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
I wrote a few weeks back about a deer hitting the rear of my Jeep and breaking the soft window in the rear. The only mark on the back door from the deer was mud. Got lucky because I had the windows down it was so warm out and it put it's head right inside. Had to clean dirt off the inside of the quarter window too.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
On Monday the 19th of December 2022 I was driving to work in the morning. The time was about 5:35 am and the temperature was around zero but there was no wind. About 2 miles from my house a deer ran across the road about 50 feet in front of my vehicle. Knowing there may be more deer close by I began to slow down. The speed limit on that road is 50 mph.

Seconds later I noticed a flash of something on the left of my Jeep and then heard a collision with, no surprise, a deer. I pulled over on the shoulder and jumped out of my Wrangler expecting to see some major damage. I was shocked to not notice any immediately so I grabbed my phone and used its light to try to see any body parts on my Jeep that weren't normal. I still saw nothing but a phone doesn't throw a lot of light anyway.

I did notice the deer laying motionless in the middle of the road behind me. This is a four lane road divided by a medium, 2 lanes on each side. Since it was dark I was afraid other cars were going to run over it as about a half dozen vehicles drove by as I was checking for damage. I walked up to the deer and noticed it appeared to be dead with some blood near its head.

I dragged to deer off the road and onto the shoulder and continued on to work. I looked for damage again in the parking lot and still didn't see any but it was still dark except for the lights in the lot. When the sun came up a few hours later I reexamined my Wrangler for damage but couldn't find any. The sun was up but the sky was cloudy so it wasn't like looking with a spot light.

I still couldn't believe you could hit AND kill a deer with your vehicle yet still not have ANY proof showing such as dents or scratches. I could not find an impact mark on the front bumper, any damage to the front fender or a dent in the driver's door. So, I went out to where it was parked when the sun was higher in the sky and looked close, really close.

What I discovered surprised me, my front drivers side tire had a CRACKED sidewall. And then I noticed deer hair stuck between the wheel and tire opposite the crack in the sidewall. Apparently this deer ran smack into the front tire yet missed the front bumper, front fender or doors. I have the standard Sahara side steps so maybe that prevented the deer from flipping up to hit the Jeep's body.

I was very pleased the only thing I had to do was get the tire replaced by Discount Tire as I have the road hazard certificate. The wheel had no damage whatsoever which is strange considering I would have expected a nick or at least a scratch. Nope, just some deer hair left behind. I felt very, very lucky!

Jeep Wrangler JL How to kill a deer with your Wrangler without getting ANY body damage. Deer

Jeep Wrangler JL How to kill a deer with your Wrangler without getting ANY body damage. Deer
I've come to a complete stop for a deer, and it still ran into my fender. Definitely could have been worse.

Reactions: AFD

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Iā€™ve come to realize that deer arenā€™t smart. Recently had a two deer pile up. First one hit my right front quarter panel and the second deer rear ended the first. Wish I had my dash cam then! It was quite hilarious except for the $6K damage to my bimmer.
Sponsored