How to Clean Under the Hood?

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
So I got a bit messy this weekend. Wondering what the best way to clean the engine bay is? Any tips are much appreciated. Googled it and some sites say yes, some say no, some say cover specific parts. Figured others on this form have definitely had to have run into this at some point.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to Clean Under the Hood? IMG_5032
Jeep Wrangler JL How to Clean Under the Hood? IMG_5033
Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
When mine gets like that I use a pump up sprayer. Tank type used for spraying weed killer and the like. Low pressure Only and just try to wet all surfaces with soapy water. Then take rags and an assortment of brushes to get into places your hands cannot reach well. Then I get the sprayer going with clean rinse water and gently rinse it down, or hose on really low spray.

It works easier if the engine is slightly warmed up (not Hot) but just warmed up a bit. Also warm water, and I use dish washing soap, it cuts grease to a point and is not harsh on rubber hoses or wire wraps. I stay away from brake cleaners and other solvent type cleaners, they will damage rubber and plastic parts . The long skinny brushes they sell for cleaning wheels are handy, and long bristle paint brushes help for nooks and crannies.

Never had a problem ding it this way. Your engine gets sprayed much harder than that driving in the rain at 70 MPH and hitting puddles....

Don't forget to drink a few stews" and put on some tunes, you may enjoy it, beets washing dishes.

Needless to say don't squirt soap or water into your air intake that is now open because your hood is up...... That is not an insult just saying.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'll chime in... go ahead with mild pressure washing and don't dwell on the electrical plugs and other fittings.

Take a leaf blower and 'dry' the engine compartment. Then take a good drive to get the engine hot. Run the heater/AC while you are at it.

Come home... pop the lid and admire your job!

Oh yeah... pics or it didn't happen:)

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll chime in... go ahead with mild pressure washing and don't dwell on the electrical plugs and other fittings.

Take a leaf blower and 'dry' the engine compartment. Then take a good drive to get the engine hot. Run the heater/AC while you are at it.

Yes the leaf blower. They are also great for blowing out the dust and crap from inside the cab. When you come home from a hot dusty day of wheeling with top off and no doors and discover the the powdery drifts of sand and dust everywhere.... Remove matts, open doors and let it do its thing.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Brush off the excess dirt and mud and then with a damp (can be slightly soapy) rag start to wipe off the remaining dirt. It will take many times to do it and get it clean but soaking that liner will ultimately cause a premature failure. Not sure why it's not more water proof but less is more as far as using water.

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When I'm done washing the exterior of my Jeep I pop the hood and wash the engine with the remaining soapy water and sponge. Then I hose it down and dry off what can be reached.
In your case I would use a soft bristled brush to knock down the loose dirt. Then just wash it.
Pro tip; a toilet bowl brush works great on those hard to reach places (buy one, don't use the one inside).

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i use engine degreaser/cleaner. Typically wet the area down with the pressure washer. Spray on degreaser and then wash my truck, jeep or what ever your cleaning then rinse all the degreaser away in the engine bay and use SC 1 to make it shine or a light rubber/plastic shiner. Keeps the Engine bay shiny and happy.

OP
OP
omi205

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When mine gets like that I use a pump up sprayer. Tank type used for spraying weed killer and the like. Low pressure Only and just try to wet all surfaces with soapy water. Then take rags and an assortment of brushes to get into places your hands cannot reach well. Then I get the sprayer going with clean rinse water and gently rinse it down, or hose on really low spray.

It works easier if the engine is slightly warmed up (not Hot) but just warmed up a bit. Also warm water, and I use dish washing soap, it cuts grease to a point and is not harsh on rubber hoses or wire wraps. I stay away from brake cleaners and other solvent type cleaners, they will damage rubber and plastic parts . The long skinny brushes they sell for cleaning wheels are handy, and long bristle paint brushes help for nooks and crannies.

Never had a problem ding it this way. Your engine gets sprayed much harder than that driving in the rain at 70 MPH and hitting puddles....

Don't forget to drink a few stews" and put on some tunes, you may enjoy it, beets washing dishes.

Needless to say don't squirt soap or water into your air intake that is now open because your hood is up...... That is not an insult just saying.
Thank you for this!!! Do you cover any areas of the engine bay before using the water spray/pump?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
omi205

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Very helpful. It seems like water is fine just not at high pressure and try to avoid electrical areas even though they will get wet in the process. But you do not cover any parts before washing, like the battery?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope just watch the air intake that meets the hood when closed.

Someone else mentioned not wetting the hood liner, it never hurt mine. They get wet every time you drive hwy in rain, but if your concerned about it use a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment on.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL How to Clean Under the Hood? 20221109_093744

Noticed that the other day.
I would not use a pressure washer at full force either. With my electric one, it still puts out some water with the motor off so I use that carefully. Still gives enough oomph to wash off the crud but I feel like it is safe enough at that lower pressure if you use common sense as to where you spray it.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

the just dont want people using the 3000-8000+ psi washers. and people love to get wayyyy to close with it trying to clean every inch... distance is key to pressure washing without damage
Sponsored