How to Clean Under the Hood?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I do this at least once a year to all our vehicles.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to Clean Under the Hood? jeep wash
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
When mine gets like that I use a pump up sprayer. Tank type used for spraying weed killer and the like. Low pressure Only and just try to wet all surfaces with soapy water. Then take rags and an assortment of brushes to get into places your hands cannot reach well. Then I get the sprayer going with clean rinse water and gently rinse it down, or hose on really low spray.

It works easier if the engine is slightly warmed up (not Hot) but just warmed up a bit. Also warm water, and I use dish washing soap, it cuts grease to a point and is not harsh on rubber hoses or wire wraps. I stay away from brake cleaners and other solvent type cleaners, they will damage rubber and plastic parts . The long skinny brushes they sell for cleaning wheels are handy, and long bristle paint brushes help for nooks and crannies.

Never had a problem ding it this way. Your engine gets sprayed much harder than that driving in the rain at 70 MPH and hitting puddles....

Don't forget to drink a few stews" and put on some tunes, you may enjoy it, beets washing dishes.

Needless to say don't squirt soap or water into your air intake that is now open because your hood is up...... That is not an insult just saying.
Chapin makes a little one hand 48 oz version of the pump that I have on my wash cart. Helps with getting the undercarriage degreased as well.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just a headsup. Simple Green and similar detergents cause aluminum corrosion. You squirt the engine down with these cleaners and pressure wash it, it'll corrode. Ask me how I know. These cleaners are not approved to clean aluminum aircraft..

If you are cleaning oily gunk, the diesel based cleaners will tend to protect the metal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
omi205

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Nope just watch the air intake that meets the hood when closed.

Someone else mentioned not wetting the hood liner, it never hurt mine. They get wet every time you drive hwy in rain, but if your concerned about it use a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment on.
Thank you!!! Yes, I did see the air intake when I was taking the photos, its off to the passenger side. I'll probably plug that up with a towel and some tape. My preference is to wash it at low pressure, including the liner. That seems like the easiest option. Avoiding visible electrical parts. And then going in with my hands and a small brush. This has been helpful. Much appreciated.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
These people really don't know what they're talking about. You're going to ruin your Jeep if you follow their advice!!

You only need TWO things to clean your entire engine:

51YZYPKfGEL.jpg

image_23837.jpg

With these 2 things, you will be able to clean every nook and cranny and have your engine looking factory fresh in 2-3 months!

OP
OP
omi205

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Just a headsup. Simple Green and similar detergents cause aluminum corrosion. You squirt the engine down with these cleaners and pressure wash it, it'll corrode. Ask me how I know. These cleaners are not approved to clean aluminum aircraft..

If you are cleaning oily gunk, the diesel based cleaners will tend to protect the metal.
Thank you for this!!! I will avoid these. No oils or gunk. Just some dirt. Planning on just using water at first and a light brushing if needed. Someone did mention that dish soap is harmless to the metals and plastics in the engine bay. So that would have been step two if needed.
Sponsored