Cleaning Mud off the engine by spraying water

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It will dry with the engine heat but I use my leaf blower to dry off and get the water out of all of the engine crevices after washing it.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

It will dry with the engine heat but I use my leaf blower to dry off and get the water out of all of the engine crevices after washing it.
I like that idea. I enjoy using my air compressor. Not only for wet/drying but also just to blow high pressure dry air to dislodge the collections of contaminants out of the crevices.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
How do you think a dealer cleans all new and used cars? A lot of them just use a pressure washer. I've detailed hundreds of vehicles with a pressure washer and never once have had an issue. Spray as much water on the battery as you want, you'll never short it out. You'd have to have to a single continuous stream of water between each post to short it. So unless you are purposely trying or a complete dork, it's not a problem. But with the intake being so exposed with the hood open, either cover with a plastic bag or just avoid it all together. If you have a pressure washer, check out the Ryobi undercarriage/water broom. Makes cleaning mud off the underside a lot easier. But most of the time, I just stick my sprinkler underneath for 15-20 minutes.
Good advice although as a friend found out, you can't pressure wash the hood blanket. I used my Ryobi 18V pressure washer to clean the hood liner and pre-clean engine before pressure washing as detailed here.

Leaf blower is also a good way to blow dust off the dash and inside the jeep.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Hi,
I went off roading yesterday at Big Bear, CA (had some much fun) at the end of the trail there was mud in it and i went through it and it was awesome. The only thing is that when i opened the hood, it was full of mud. Do you guys know if i can just get a hose and spray some water in it try to get that mud out the engine? Any recommendations? If i can spray water, do i need to cover some sensitive electric stuff? Should i be careful with certain components? Thanks in advance..
IMG_3581.png
IMG_3557.jpeg
I use a foam cannon and spray the shit outta my engine weekly. Then again, I'm pretty much a 90% mall crawler and have a habit of being military-trained anal retentive on washing vehicles.

But If I were you, I'd do two things: 1) get a foam cannon , 2) foam the living crap outta it, 3) maybe close that sunrider the next time you hammer into that mud? Kidding on that last one....holy crap that looked pretty cringe-worthy to me...mainly because I would be so dejected if a fountain of mud cascaded in through my roof. I'd probably cry. Just being honest.

I do run my Jeep through the local brushless car wash (basic wash, no wax or extra crap as the soft-top gets foam that I have to spray off at home) before foam-cannon'ing at home after being on the trail. Helps alot. Guy hates me. Probably should stop doing that out of consideration for others....but it works great at getting rid of alot of crap on the rock-rails, inside wheel wells, etc.

There is nothing that will die or wither on the vine if you foam the crap outta your engine and spray it off. I'm talking power-washer spray. But not the "strip paint from the house exterior" power-washer pressure....like the diffused nozzle instead. Do the same underneath too.

Nice Jeep version and color btw. Love it.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
When cleaning the engine on a 3.6 JL do you have to worry about water spray in the alternator?

James57

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I use a foam cannon and spray the shit outta my engine weekly. Then again, I'm pretty much a 90% mall crawler and have a habit of being military-trained anal retentive on washing vehicles.

But If I were you, I'd do two things: 1) get a foam cannon , 2) foam the living crap outta it, 3) maybe close that sunrider the next time you hammer into that mud? Kidding on that last one....holy crap that looked pretty cringe-worthy to me...mainly because I would be so dejected if a fountain of mud cascaded in through my roof. I'd probably cry. Just being honest.

I do run my Jeep through the local brushless car wash (basic wash, no wax or extra crap as the soft-top gets foam that I have to spray off at home) before foam-cannon'ing at home after being on the trail. Helps alot. Guy hates me. Probably should stop doing that out of consideration for others....but it works great at getting rid of alot of crap on the rock-rails, inside wheel wells, etc.

There is nothing that will die or wither on the vine if you foam the crap outta your engine and spray it off. I'm talking power-washer spray. But not the "strip paint from the house exterior" power-washer pressure....like the diffused nozzle instead. Do the same underneath too.

Nice Jeep version and color btw. Love it.
wondering what brand of foam cannon you use and type of foam?

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
wondering what brand of foam cannon you use and type of foam?
Super cheap, does the job....Griot's Garage Foaming Sprayer from Autoz@ne. I think you can buy them online too. I have an electric pressure-washer that I use as well, but rarely anymore. The foam cannon is decent because of the amount of detergent it really gets in there. Lots of options for you in this category. I think my neighbor has the Chemical Guys foam cannon....which is a pressure-washer attachment. It's insanely good but he has a literal monster truck and the jeep is pretty tiny in comparison.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
And dc current is not dangerous like ac. You can touch both positive and negative on the battery and not get shocked
Wtf? Long ago I accidentally shorted out the negative and positive terminals of a yellow top with a metal box wrench and sure as hell got an unpleasant shock.

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Wtf? Long ago I accidentally shorted out the negative and positive terminals of a yellow top with a metal box wrench and sure as hell got an unpleasant shock.

Wow!, this old post coming back around? Yeah I've burnt a many 10mm wrenches many a times. I don't think you understand the post. It's about what's conductive and what's not. Metal is conductive, fresh water is not, salt water is. Now for anyone interested go touch both terminals of your battery and report back what happens. Absolutely nothing. Now if your arm is dripping in sweat you will get a tingle like touching your tongue to 9v battery. Saline, salt water, is conductive. The point of the whole thing was you can blast your battery with water to clean and nothing will happen. The hair on the left side of my nutsack is more conductive than fresh water.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Wow!, this old post coming back around? Yeah I've burnt a many 10mm wrenches many a times. I don't think you understand the post. It's about what's conductive and what's not. Metal is conductive, fresh water is not, salt water is. Now for anyone interested go touch both terminals of your battery and report back what happens. Absolutely nothing. Now if your arm is dripping in sweat you will get a tingle like touching your tongue to 9v battery. Saline, salt water, is conductive. The point of the whole thing was you can blast your battery with water to clean and nothing will happen. The hair on the left side of my nutsack is more conductive than fresh water.
I've always wondered if the left side of my sack was positive or ground.