Sponsored

Cleaning after road salt

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Have a couple newbie questions, this is my first Jeep and also my first time having taken a vehicle up in the snow.

Yesterday we hit the mountains and the plows were running rampant, laying salt everywhere, my Jeep is covered in it. When we got home I was so tired so I just went to bed and then had to leave for work, I know it should be cleaned off ASAP but can putting it off a couple days cause any rust/corrosion issues down the line?

And secondly, how in the world do you guys wash under your Jeeps, yeah I can obviously spray under there but I can't scrub anything beyond what I can reach. Will just spraying it get most of it off?
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
try out fluid film on the underside, the underneath of my truck looks brand new after applying fluid film after almost two years of having it living in the northeast. As far as your paint, I’d wash it as soon as you can and wouldn’t worry too much. Keep it waxed, or even better get some paint sealant. You can go down a rabbit hole with products when it comes to detailing

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well it has an aluminum tub so doubt if rust is an issue there, frame is another matter and jeep frames LOVE to rust. I don't worry, just drive though the touchless carwash with under carriage spray and it's good enough. It's a jeep, not a Ferrari.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
I just get the hose out and spray underneath. Here in NE I can normally get a nice day to wash the Jeep within a week of a storm. I have seen at Home Depot a attachment for a pressure washer that is made to wash under cars.
I also figure I’ll be getting under the Jeep at the start of any summer and look for any rust that’s starting and clean it up and re paint it.

bcupton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Safari
Occupation
Retired Navy
I bought this Undercarriage Pressure Washer - Car Wash Cleaner, Under Car Wash - 13 inch 4000 psi from Amazon and it does a great job power washing the underside of a vehicle.​

Jeep Wrangler JL Cleaning after road salt 1611798571268

Sponsored

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Check out a product called salt-away. I spray the undercarriage with this any chance I get in the winter. Also use it anytime I drive on the beach, use it to flush the boat motor, rinse the trailer, any application that you want to get salt off. It’s great stuff

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
I bought this Undercarriage Pressure Washer - Car Wash Cleaner, Under Car Wash - 13 inch 4000 psi from Amazon and it does a great job power washing the underside of a vehicle.​

Jeep Wrangler JL Cleaning after road salt 1611798571268
or just get a cheap garden sprinkler

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Pressure washer and Ryobi makes an attachment you can get at Home Depot

Rust proofing is the way to go to protect the underside.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cleaning after road salt 1611937936501
Sponsored