Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Scion TC, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, Horse
Hi,
I went off roading yesterday at Big Bear, CA (had some much fun) at the end of the trail there was mud in it and i went through it and it was awesome. The only thing is that when i opened the hood, it was full of mud. Do you guys know if i can just get a hose and spray some water in it try to get that mud out the engine? Any recommendations? If i can spray water, do i need to cover some sensitive electric stuff? Should i be careful with certain components? Thanks in advance..
IMG_3581.png
IMG_3557.jpeg
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Spray away.

I prefer to do it with the engine running so some spinning components are easier to hit.

I don't cover anything, but I also don't keep the spray on the fuseboxes and similar for very long. The rest won't matter. I also use a pressure washer and still no issues.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1382.JPG
Hi,
I went off roading yesterday at Big Bear, CA (had some much fun) at the end of the trail there was mud in it and i went through it and it was awesome. The only thing is that when i opened the hood, it was full of mud. Do you guys know if i can just get a hose and spray some water in it try to get that mud out the engine? Any recommendations? If i can spray water, do i need to cover some sensitive electric stuff? Should i be careful with certain components? Thanks in advance..
img_3581-png.png
img_3557-jpeg.jpg
Ha! Same here. Big bear. Mud. Dirt in engine. Was just searching the threads for engine cleaning recommendations.

My problem is I'm now getting vibration from the engine cooling fan (when it's running at high speed in "jet engine sound" mode). Think there's some mud on the fan blades... gotta make sure it's clean enough to a) get any mud off the fan blades or b) get the engine clean enough so that my local Jeep dealer doesn't say not covered by warranty due to 'mis-use'.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the day I would use a solution of Simple Green and water on the engine of my YJ to help get rid of the gunk. I’d also cover my PCM, fuse box and battery with a plastic bag (only if engine was cool) for the more thorough spray-downs. When the engine was hot I wouldn’t cover those things, I’d just be careful to not spray them directly.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1382.JPG

Ha! Same here. Big bear. Mud. Dirt in engine. Was just searching the threads for engine cleaning recommendations.

My problem is I'm now getting vibration from the engine cooling fan (when it's running at high speed in "jet engine sound" mode). Think there's some mud on the fan blades... gotta make sure it's clean enough to a) get any mud off the fan blades or b) get the engine clean enough so that my local Jeep dealer doesn't say not covered by warranty due to 'mis-use'.
Looks like you got a black eye. :LOL:

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
OK well, that's good to know because I've been holding off from rinsing my engine bay top down because I'm afraid of shorting out random circuits.
Still a good idea to keep water off electronic stuff for corrosion