How did you decide on your engine?

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
yep, my 35’s don’t help mpgs either. Whatever makes folks happy, though.
Not knocking your choice, just pointing out the comparison is not like for like.
Sponsored

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
A lot of people think the 2.0L has a lot of turbo lag, but it turns out it’s the crap throttle response. A pedal commander fixes that issue, but I’ve noticed the 3.6L seems to have better throttle response compared to the 2.0L.
Would make sense… they dont want you flinging mud vice actually moving.

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
We decided on the 3.6 for its simplicity and service record. For the weekend car that its going to be, fuel economy was not a priority so much as not having to ‘put it in the shop… again’.

We preferred the pull of the diesel, but diesel is a headache when it gets sick. And it can be nerve-wrecking to find a diesel pump at times. We would have risked it if the diesel came in standard, but it wasnt meant to be.

For a daily driver, the obvious choice is the 2.0L for all its benefits. Fingers crossed the turbo doesnt take a dump.

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
I know the 3.6 has been around since the Triassic Period and has a good track record as being reliable. How long has the turbo 4 been around? Is there a general consensus on its reliability? Can I expect 120,000 miles out of it without much maintenance fuss? Any known major maintenance work I need to known about?

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
I had a 2012 JKU with the 3.6. loved the Jeep, road better drove better and was quieter on the Hwy than my JLU has ever been.
But that 3.6 engine was a turd. Had it in the dealers shop for a new drivers side head at 15,000 miles. Traded it off when it sounded like it needed the same head replaced.
So when I got Jeep fever I made sure to get the 2.0T.
Now if I could just get my old JKU, with the 2.0 and the 8 speed auto I would have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: F2F

Sponsored

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
I know the 3.6 has been around since the Triassic Period and has a good track record as being reliable. How long has the turbo 4 been around? Is there a general consensus on its reliability? Can I expect 120,000 miles out of it without much maintenance fuss? Any known major maintenance work I need to known about?
The GME-T4 2.0 has been around since 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCA_Global_Medium_Engine

You might be able to find some high mileage Alfa Romero’s rolling around their forums, but I don’t think there’s many high mileage Jeep owners here.

I have about 20K on mine and haven’t had any issues, but that doesn’t say much.

I honestly didn’t purchase the 2.0L for the gas mileage, I wanted the torque. Comparing the 2.0 vs. the 3.6 , the 2.0 makes almost 100 lbs more torque at 3K rpm. I have a throttle controller on order, which should get rid of the terrible unresponsive pedal feel, but so far I love the performance.

Last edited:

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
1) The previous 2 3.6's I had were flawless.
2) The millions of 3.6's ensured it's reliability and aftermarket support for the next 20 years.
3) When jeep explained why the 2.0 was not stout enough for the gladiator
4) at that time I was not going to pay extra to be a guinea pig for jeeps new motor.
"Jeep will not offer its 2.0-liter I4 turbo engine in the Gladiator, The Drive reports. A Fiat Chrysler spokesperson told The Drive that "the 3.6-liter [V6] engine can handle the temperatures seen while towing," intimating that the Wrangler's four-pot might not be able to tow and haul with the best of 'em."

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not surprised. This little 2.0L does warm-up quickly and the electric radiator fan comes on quite a bit in the summer. I can understand why a lot of people would choose a 3.6L over the 2.0L, like you said - It's been around forever and it's proven.

That said, the 2.0L has to start somewhere :) I do believe that Jeep will slowly discontinue the 3.6L when the GME-T6 is finally ready. The new inline 6 Is largely based off of the GME-T4 2.0L and will produce a boat load of HP and TQ.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There will always be debates on which engine is better. It's not as simple as comparing the 2.0T and 3.6 today. It's not just the actual engine choice. It's the peripherals for each engine. Each engine is configured differently every year. Initially in 2018 the 3.6 was only offered with the ESS start-stop system. The 3.6 is reliable but the early ESS charging, battery, and software was problematic. There were many people getting stranded from bad ESS batteries. Jumping a ESS was problematic back then. Back then the 2.0T was only available with the then new eTorque hybrid system. Anyone who is old school was fearful of the new smaller turbo engine and eTorque system. They were worried about the eTorque's extra 48V battery and coolant lines and the 2.0's turbo or direct injection. In 2020 FCA decided to again swap around the ESS and ETorque among the engines. Fast forward to today. For 2021 Stellantis ( I can't believe they used that name. It sound like a fu*cking drug for ED) only offers the 2.0T with ESS and the 3.6 with eTorque. Today there are even more engine choices. We have the 392, Diesel, 4xe.

A product is only as strong as it's weakest link. Which is really the weak link for the JL? Is it the actual engine or the peripherals? The 2.0, 3.6, Diesel, 392, the electric motors of the 4xe, ESS, or eTorque? Pick your poison because none are as simple as what was offered for the JK. It's not like the JK was not totally problem free even though it had far less EPA required peripherals. The JK had it's fair share of problematic 3.8 and 3.6 motors.

I honestly would not over think it. I would buy what you like more after test driving. Buy whatever engine you can afford and like the driving dynamics of more.

Rely on the warranty and buy a Mopar extended warranty if your worried. One thing is certain. Engines will get more complicated due to emissions and EPA requirements. Pure ICEs are not far from being extinct as far as new car production. Pure or hybrid EV is in the Wrangler's future. Very near future. Enjoy ICE now before they are gone if that your thing. Personally I wish the 392 was available in a 2-door JL.

Last edited:

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It was price for me. I really wanted the diesel, but couldn't justify the 10K CAD price increase.

The 4 cyl and 4xe weren't even considerations.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not surprised. This little 2.0L does warm-up quickly and the electric radiator fan comes on quite a bit in the summer. I can understand why a lot of people would choose a 3.6L over the 2.0L, like you said - It's been around forever and it's proven.

That said, the 2.0L has to start somewhere :) I do believe that Jeep will slowly discontinue the 3.6L when the GME-T6 is finally ready. The new inline 6 Is largely based off of the GME-T4 2.0L and will produce a boat load of HP and TQ.
Have you herd the inline-6 will be developed more for the Wangler? I thought Stellantis's future for the Wrangler was hybrid, partial EV or full EV?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was price for me. I really wanted the diesel, but couldn't justify the 10K CAD price increase.

The 4 cyl and 4xe weren't even considerations.
Not a bad way to make a decision.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door

I LOVE inline 6's....So SMOOTH!!! That would be my engine of choice if available!!!

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
( I can't believe they used that name. It sound like a fu*cking drug for ED)
Side effects include headache, runny nose, dry mouth, and excessive mockery. Check with your Doctor to see if Stellantis is right for you!

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you herd the inline-6 will be developed more for the Wangler? I thought Stellantis's future for the Wrangler was hybrid, partial EV or full EV?
Nothing is confirmed. Rumor mill stuff, but the GME-T6 has been in and out of the news for awhile now. Mopar Insiders suspects we'll see a PHEV version of it -

https://moparinsiders.com/dodge-tea...emuscle-cars-during-ev-day-2021-presentation/

We do know that the all-new turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six-cylinder under the Global Medium Engine family (called GME-T6) will make it into the lineup. We suspect that the new lighter, the more balanced inline-six powertrain will be paired up to a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) setup for the next generation eMuscle cars.

This article doesn't mention Jeep, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the first brands to adopt the newest tech.
Sponsored