RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I wonder if the hood alarm is an option in UConnect. Perhaps it is not checked by default. Anyone look? I prefer to ask yall since its highly unlikely a sales person would know.
I respectfully disagree. It is a certainty, especially at this point, that a sales person would not know.;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Let's see what @JeepCares says about this, because apparently no one's works. I'll check the manual....

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
So if I've got this right, after the thief opens your hood and steals components that no longer allow the Wrangler to crank and/or operate, it has a feature that prevents it from.....(wait for it)......trying to start the vehicle knowing that said action would be in vain because you're now out $4,000 in auto parts?

Am I missing something?
The explanation I was given for this a while back when asking about the obvious knowledge of hood open status but no alarm trigger, was that the remote start cancel was to avoid remote or phantom starts when someone might be under the hood working on the engine, especially service techs.. since owners are replaceable. :devil: ;)

However, now that they added another sensor, but didn’t bother to tie it to the alarm triggers, that is just baffling. :movember:

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
The explanation I was given for this a while back when asking about the obvious knowledge of hood open status but no alarm trigger, was that the remote start cancel was to avoid remote or phantom starts when someone might be under the hood working on the engine, especially service techs.. since owners are replaceable. :devil: ;)

However, now that they added another sensor, but didn’t bother to tie it to the alarm triggers, that is just baffling. :movember:
So it exsist to not allow the vehicle to start if the hood is open or ajar?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Thanks Ape. I kind of reasoned it to be a safety thing. Then again--call me old fashion but I've always found that disconnecting the battery is a useful way to avoid triggering such events.

What I should have said, that you did, is they couldn't piggy back on these sensors for the promised alarming of the hood?

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
So it exsist to not allow the vehicle to start if the hood is open or ajar?
That’s the supposed reason for the first sensor which was also included with the JK, and it is retained as one of the two in the JL. Still don’t see how they couldn’t integrate both into one, but as I mentioned elsewhere it’s likely a tiered setup, as we’ve seen the JL respond differently when you disable one or the other.

So it’s likely that some conditions/alerts/actions required an OK status from A or B or A+B, and possibly due to the severity of the condition they are triggering/avoiding.

From the remote entry discussion in another thread, they may also have states (ie. always on, sleep mode) so it may be part of separate conditional loops. But surely one could be leveraged for the Alarm trigger(s).

Still little documentation on them, and the tech I’ve chatted with at the local dealer still doesn’t fully know (we were chatting about ESS disabling at the time a few weeks ago). But I’m sure more info will come out with time, especially as people test various ESS defeats, etc.

I am also interested in seeing what happens in the Export market, as some export markets require things like hood locks (thus they are standard on EU Wranglers). If anywhere would get a hood alarm possibly as a default standard offering I would think it would be the EU.

Seriously, it can’t be that hard to implement in a system that already has the plunger-trigger-sensors and an alarm system incorporated into it, I would like to know why it isn’t there as promised in L.A.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
That’s the supposed reason for the first sensor which was also included with the JK, and it is retained as one of the two in the JL. Still don’t see how they couldn’t integrate both into one, but as I mentioned elsewhere it’s likely a tiered setup, as we’ve seen the JL respond differently when you disable one or the other.

So it’s likely that some conditions/alerts/actions required an OK status from A or B or A+B, and possibly due to the severity of the condition they are triggering/avoiding.

From the remote entry discussion in another thread, they may also have states (ie. always on, sleep mode) so it may be part of separate conditional loops. But surely one could be leveraged for the Alarm trigger(s).

Still little documentation on them, and the tech I’ve chatted with at the local dealer still doesn’t fully know (we were chatting about ESS disabling at the time a few weeks ago). But I’m sure more info will come out with time, especially as people test various ESS defeats, etc.

I am also interested in seeing what happens in the Export market, as some export markets require things like hood locks (thus they are standard on EU Wranglers). If anywhere would get a hood alarm possibly as a default standard offering I would think it would be the EU.

Seriously, it can’t be that hard to implement in a system that already has the plunger-trigger-sensors and an alarm system incorporated into it, I would like to know why it isn’t there as promised in L.A.

I'd like to think that an EU market JL hood lock could be retrofitted on a North American JL vehicle.......?

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR

I can see this feature being the case if the hood were to somehow fly open while driving. And yes I agree adding an alarm when the car is parked/locked would have been nice.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any updates on hood security? Alarm, locks, etc.? I've seen the upcoming grill lock for the JL, but what a pain to install and use. There are some for the JK https://www.amazon.com/Rampage-Products-76336-Locking-Wrangler/dp/B0051SUMJA but I don't see any for the JL. I saw the luggage lock someone put on the latch in another thread, but I think that would attract more trouble from opportunity thieves since they probably assume it has an alarm or assume it has a hood release latch inside the vehicle like 99.9999999999% of all vehicles have, but seeing the luggage lock that can be easily broken off would be an invite and broadcast that there is 0 security except a dinky lock. You'd think FCA would have a software upgrade that taps into one of the hood switches to set off the alarm system. Ultimately, I'd like to see the hood latch locks for the JL and the ability to tap into the existing alarm system with either a mod via an additional switch or a software upgrade. Thoughts? Ideas? This is an issue for people who don't park in a garage, road trips at hotel parking lots, etc. Besides the obvious theft of under the hood parts, vandalism, someone could easily pop the hood, cut the connection to the horn for the alarm, then break into the car without the horn blaring. Or disable the horn, then tow it away via tow truck. Yes, there is auto insurance for stealing your vehicle, but depending on the age of the vehicle, market value, etc., you are lucky to get 40% to 60% of your original purchase price back. I'd rather pay $100 for hood latch locks.

Interesting article about this:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...-hackers-arrested-stealing-150-jeep-wranglers

"The alarm would go off at this point, but the thieves would open the hood and disable the horn first."

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
I had a hood lock on order from Quadratek - but it was on back order forever and I just ended up cancelling.

It seems like a no-brainer to be able to lock your hood down - but thats not how things work in Jeep backwards land.

This underscores the point I always tell people - Jeep is a specialty car, not a practical every day driver. Like buying a sports car.

I NEVER had to think about my hood lock or having to charge a secondary battery to jumpstart my car or any of the other “special snowflake” issues the Jeep has.

For all the hardcore off-road marketing BS - it really was engineered to look good at the mall - and that is about it.

Sponsored

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Any updates on hood security? Alarm, locks, etc.? I've seen the upcoming grill lock for the JL, but what a pain to install and use. There are some for the JK https://www.amazon.com/Rampage-Products-76336-Locking-Wrangler/dp/B0051SUMJA but I don't see any for the JL. I saw the luggage lock someone put on the latch in another thread, but I think that would attract more trouble from opportunity thieves since they probably assume it has an alarm or assume it has a hood release latch inside the vehicle like 99.9999999999% of all vehicles have, but seeing the luggage lock that can be easily broken off would be an invite and broadcast that there is 0 security except a dinky lock. You'd think FCA would have a software upgrade that taps into one of the hood switches to set off the alarm system. Ultimately, I'd like to see the hood latch locks for the JL and the ability to tap into the existing alarm system with either a mod via an additional switch or a software upgrade. Thoughts? Ideas? This is an issue for people who don't park in a garage, road trips at hotel parking lots, etc. Besides the obvious theft of under the hood parts, vandalism, someone could easily pop the hood, cut the connection to the horn for the alarm, then break into the car without the horn blaring. Or disable the horn, then tow it away via tow truck. Yes, there is auto insurance for stealing your vehicle, but depending on the age of the vehicle, market value, etc., you are lucky to get 40% to 60% of your original purchase price back. I'd rather pay $100 for hood latch locks.

Interesting article about this:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...-hackers-arrested-stealing-150-jeep-wranglers

"The alarm would go off at this point, but the thieves would open the hood and disable the horn first."
Months old post, but I ordered black painted stainless locking latches on Amazon, easy install, $43. I also lock my doors at night.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Months old post, but I ordered black painted stainless locking latches on Amazon, easy install, $43. I also lock my doors at night.
Yes, old post, but no solutions posted in this thread yet. Do you have a link to it on Amazon? I searched black painted stainless locking latches and seems to be a lot of latches for wooden gates show up. Thanks.

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, old post, but no solutions posted in this thread yet. Do you have a link to it on Amazon? I searched black painted stainless locking latches and seems to be a lot of latches for wooden gates show up. Thanks.
I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner, for some reason I did not get notification that someone responded to this thread, probably my bad! Yes, those are the ones I bought, they also come in chromed stainless. Thanks Fdisker2000 for picking up my slack!

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner, for some reason I did not get notification that someone responded to this thread, probably my bad! Yes, those are the ones I bought, they also come in chromed stainless. Thanks Fdisker2000 for picking up my slack!
How long did it take for them to arrive after you ordered it? Amazon says it won't be delivered until October 2018. I wonder why so long, are they making them on-demand?

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long did it take for them to arrive after you ordered it? Amazon says it won't be delivered until October 2018. I wonder why so long, are they making them on-demand?
2 days. There are several vendors. Type in Amazons search bar: "jeep wrangler jl locking hood" , you will see other offerings. Just added one set today sold by Jecar and would be delivered Sunday.
Sponsored