Oem Alarm?

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Hi, Can anyone else lock their oem alarm with the doors open and not get a warning that the door is open? My wife’s 2018 Renegade oem alarm honks the horn after arming if there’s a door not closed all the way. My JLUR does not give me any warning when a door is open. I can also park my Jeep, leave it running, close the door and arm the alarm. That’s pretty convenient if I’m letting it warm up but is it normal?
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, Can anyone else lock their oem alarm with the doors open and not get a warning that the door is open? My wife’s 2018 Renegade oem alarm honks the horn after arming if there’s a door not closed all the way. My JLUR does not give me any warning when a door is open. I can also park my Jeep, leave it running, close the door and arm the alarm. That’s pretty convenient if I’m letting it warm up but is it normal?
Hi Todd, I’ve actually never tried it with my door open but I think the Jeep’s a little different because it’s designed to have removable doors. I say this because I’ve gone food shopping with tube doors before and still can lock my tailgate (I have Sky One with the glass window). It’s tough to tell with proximity locks because as soon as I touch the tailgate handle the system disarms.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can anyone else lock their oem alarm with the doors open and not get a warning that the door is open?
I don't believe there is a warning for that. I've hit the lock button on my remote/keyfob plenty of times while my wife or kids were still getting out of the vehicle. The system doesn't technically arm until the last door is closed. Notice #3 from the Alarm section in the Owner's Manual.

Follow these steps to arm the vehicle security alarm:
1. Make sure the vehicles ignition is cycled to the “OFF” position (refer to "Starting The Engine" in "Starting And Operating" for further information).
2. Perform one of the following methods to lock the vehicle:
• Push lock on the interior power door lock switch with the driver and/or passenger door open.
• Push the lock button on the exterior Passive Entry Door Handle with a valid key fob available in the same exterior zone (refer to "Keyless Enter-N-Go — Passive Entry" in "Getting To Know Your Vehicle" for further information).
• Push the lock button on the key fob.​
3. If any doors are open, close them.

I can also park my Jeep, leave it running, close the door and arm the alarm. That’s pretty convenient if I’m letting it warm up but is it normal?
This should not be happening. First, as per above, the vehicle should not allow you to lock it from outside by any method while it is running. It also should not be able to "arm" the alarm.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe there is a warning for that. I've hit the lock button on my remote/keyfob plenty of times while my wife or kids were still getting out of the vehicle. The system doesn't technically arm until the last door is closed. Notice #3 from the Alarm section in the Owner's Manual.

Follow these steps to arm the vehicle security alarm:
1. Make sure the vehicles ignition is cycled to the “OFF” position (refer to "Starting The Engine" in "Starting And Operating" for further information).
2. Perform one of the following methods to lock the vehicle:
• Push lock on the interior power door lock switch with the driver and/or passenger door open.
• Push the lock button on the exterior Passive Entry Door Handle with a valid key fob available in the same exterior zone (refer to "Keyless Enter-N-Go — Passive Entry" in "Getting To Know Your Vehicle" for further information).
• Push the lock button on the key fob.​
3. If any doors are open, close them.

This should not be happening. First, as per above, the vehicle should not allow you to lock it from outside by any method while it is running. It also should not be able to "arm" the alarm. Second, the vehicle should not remain running if the key is removed from the vehicle.[/
Second, the vehicle should not remain running if the key is removed from the vehicle.
Hi Dave I hope all is well on your end. I’m pretty sure the Jeep will remain running if you walk away with the fob. The dash says “fob has left the vehicle” but it remains running. I’ve gone into stores while the wife sits in the running Jeep.
Be safe buddy.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry about the above post Dave. I tried to quote a couple of sentences and reply. As you can see I butchered it.
I’m not computer illiterate I’m more computer idiot!

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’m pretty sure the Jeep will remain running if you walk away with the fob. The dash says “fob has left the vehicle” but it remains running. I’ve gone into stores while the wife sits in the running Jeep.
You are correct. I've edited my post. However, the vehicle should not allow the doors to be locked/alarm to be armed from outside if it is running.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct. I've edited my post. However, the vehicle should not allow the doors to be locked/alarm to be armed from outside if it is running.
Every morning I leave it running and lock the doors with the fob, which is always clipped to my pants pocket. Never looked to see if the red alarm light was blinking, but it locks all doors and tailgate just fine. Since it not only can detect the fobs proximity to a specific door but also whether the fob is in or out of the vehicle, I would hope it prevents someone from leaving the fob in the running vehicle and locking all doors with the exterior door handle button.

Furthermore, if one was to leave the vehicle running with the doors unlocked someone could jump in and drive off without a fob present and not have any problems until they shut it off. Only then would the lack of a fob stop them from restarting.
Sponsored