Sponsored

Hood alarm?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Anyone test this yet. It's on my list, just forgot...... I remember reading there are a couple sensors under the hood....
Sponsored

rcgait1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW F80 M3, 2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Anyone test this yet. It's on my list, just forgot...... I remember reading there are a couple sensors under the hood....
Just tried and it did not trigger the alarm... any ideas??

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I forgot to try it. I will tomorrow!

vilacr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
I tried it and it did not trigger the alarm.

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I just set the alarm on the fob and opened the hood. No alarm. Hmmmm.....

Sponsored

rcgait1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW F80 M3, 2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Went to my dealership last night and they couldn't get the alarm to fire on their showroom model either. What we were able to discern was that the 2 pins located under the hood on the lower right were to tell the driver that hood is open on the dash.

Probably going to get the Mopar hood lock kit when it comes out or see if the rampage hinge lock latches from the JK will workl

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Went to my dealership last night and they couldn't get the alarm to fire on their showroom model either. What we were able to discern was that the 2 pins located under the hood on the lower right were to tell the driver that hood is open on the dash.

Probably going to get the Mopar hood lock kit when it comes out or see if the rampage hinge lock latches from the JK will workl

A few days ago I popped the hood on 4 different 2018 JL's at a dealership. All 4 were locked. No alarm / horn honking on any of them when I popped the hood. Oh yes, I was swarmed by multiple sales people from all corners of the dealership that had that hungry look in their eyes.

By the way, JK's that have remote start have 1 plunger type switch on right side, front of engine compartment. If that switch is not depressed by hood or hand the remote start will not start the JK.

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
Ok so I'm assuming there is no hood alarm. Because no one has seen one work.... Yet.

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does not work either - it was being touted as a new and great feature, would be nice if it worked. I am going to contact my dealer and see if I can get an answer,

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I don't know if its true or not, but I was told one switch is connected to the Auto Start, and the other to the remote start. Opening the hood disables both.

.....I don't know why two switches would be required on a canbus vehicle though...

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Very dissapoointing! This was a specific question I had Jay ask at L.A. and Jeep said they had added that.

With the rash of thefts of Wranglers in the L.A. area 2 years ago, and the large number of 10A style hood thefts in the past few years, this is very dissapointing, nad something they had more than enough time to address.

Seriously, they add a second hood sensor anyways, and can’t even get this done? Argh! :angry:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Be sure to get the updated version which has a reinforced back to make it harder to just punch out vs the older version. With the new version you have to manually pick the tumblers to key it for the ignition, the old version without the metal plate has the easy turn-to-key method, but is less secure. You can get a metal backplate fore the old version from the mfr BOLT, but not sure if it’s free to new owners the way it was to those of us who bought it new originally.

The Tuffy version Cassie mentioned is also a good option but IIRC cannot even be manually keyed to ignition, so requires a second key. I prefer having just one key for hood , gas cap and ignition, especially when doing activities where I just want to carry 1 key and not my key chain.

However, I’d rather also have a hood alarm from the factory to add a little more deterence, especially when FCA said there would be a hood alarm. Yeah, we all know nothing deters a pro targeting your Wrangler, but it does deter random thefts of opportunity if your vehicle is harder than the ones near it.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I wonder if the hood alarm is an option in UConnect. Perhaps it is not checked by default. Anyone look? I prefer to ask yall since its highly unlikely a sales person would know.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I don't know if its true or not, but I was told one switch is connected to the Auto Start, and the other to the remote start. Opening the hood disables both.

.....I don't know why two switches would be required on a canbus vehicle though...

So if I've got this right, after the thief opens your hood and steals components that no longer allow the Wrangler to crank and/or operate, it has a feature that prevents it from.....(wait for it)......trying to start the vehicle knowing that said action would be in vain because you're now out $4,000 in auto parts?

Am I missing something?
Sponsored