Hitch Install Question

JeepWhisperer

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2017 JK
I have the same issue. how did you get the "spacer" out?
I finally got the “spacer” out and it was just like the OPs. Just a lot more force than I expected with a prybar. Somehow it’s wedged really tight between the bumper frame and something. Pulled down hard on one end to rotate it down.

After that I tried to install my old JK hitch. The holes lined up but it sat up too high and close to the bumper... ordered a hitch specifically for the JL.
Sponsored

toeshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
The spacer wouldn't come out for me the way it was described in the CURT receiver instructions or based on the other comments above. I have a 2019 Sahara without the steel bumper option. My "spacer" plate is also larger as one reviewer mentioned. There were 2 bolts and 2 screws that needed to be removed when installing my CURT receiver hitch. I removed the 2 bolts like everyone described but tried to pull the plate out and it wouldn't budge. I also tried to slip in the hitch and it was way too tight. The only way it worked for me was to remove two screws that also attached to the plate. Once I did, the plate moved but still couldn't be removed. However, it gave much more wiggle room and I was able to slide the receiver perfectly into place. I used 2 of the hex bolts that came with the hitch and the 2 original bolts as they fit much easier and reinserted the two screws that I had removed. Really solid hitch but need some updated instructions :)
I have the same bumper as you and used a tapered wooden spatula to create a space between the bracket and the mounting bar. I just tapped it in to create enough space to slide the receiver into place and then pulled it out. I was worried that it would be tough to line up the holes for those two little screws if I removed them and then inserted the receiver.

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
Thanks all. This thread is very useful as I’m reading it while under the Jeep trying to get the bracket out. Off to get the pry bar...

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I couldn't find any direct response to my question.

I have the OEM Steel Bumper. Do I need a hitch with the 4 welded nuts?
Or will any hitch made for the JL fit?

terrycorrales

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler JL
I installed a trailer hitch receiver today from "CURT", ordered it off Quadratec. The price was $104.22 with a tax of $6.25 it came to $110.47. Install was easy enough though I have a steel bumper and there was what I would describe as a metal spacer back there. That brings me to my question.... what is this thing?

The first picture shows it while still attached, I have started to back out the nut. The second image shows it once removed.
image1 (1).jpeg
IMG_2594.jpg

It had to come out in order to properly install the hitch receiver.

As far as install it was straightforward as I mentioned:
  1. Remove that piece I don't know what it is (hopefully soon to find out, thanks in advance)
  2. Rubber mallet the hitch receiver in place and bolt it on
  3. And now whammy, you can attached a bike rack
Thanks Everyone
Glad I found your post! I have the steel bumper as well.
Tried to mount my MOPAR trailer hitch last weekend and couldn't because of that weird spacer.
Didn't know it could be removed - how did you take it off after removing the bolts?
Thanks!

Glad I came across your post. I have a 2018 Rubicon Wrangler JL And just installed a Curt hitch (Curt 13392). That spacer with weld bolts is perplexing. Seems it’s only purpose is to hold two bolts (that require a 18mm socket or wrench) that seem to do nothing. The installation instructions from Curt say “Note: Some models have existing bolts attaching a plate with weldnuts on it. The hitch will need to be slid between the bracket and the mounting tube with the factory hardware reinstalled, securing the hitch”. There is no fricking way to slide the hitch between that bracket (spacer) and the mounting tube. I had to loosen the two bolts that go into the bumper with a 16mm socket and had to use a pry bar to slide the Curt hitch over the mounting tube and then use a rubber mallet to get the hitch on fully. Then I just used the 3/4” bolts that came with the Curt hitch. I just saved that factory bracket (spacer) with the weldnuts and the two 18mm bolts off to the side , though I don’t see a reason to keep that long term.
Sponsored