Hitch receiver question

paulp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara
Question - So you left the bumper bracket in?... Meaning you used the 2 bolts that originally attached the bumper bracket along with 2 more for the Curt receiver? If so, did you torque all 4 bolts to the 110ft-lb recommendation?

I'm in a similar situation and found that it was easier to leave the bracket in than remove it but wasn't sure of the bumper bracket bolt were any less capable than the ones that came with the Curt receiver.

Just to report back, I installed a hitch receiver on my Sahara JL today and it really was a simple job. I took out the two bolts holding that bumper bracket to the bar, then used a tapered piece of wood to create enough space so I could slide the hitch receiver in between. That was easier than trying to manage the receiver with one hand while pulling the bracket away with the other. I went with the Curt receiver which is flat on both sides and fit perfectly. I really don’t know that it would have been as trivial with the Mopar or Rugged Ridge versions as they both appear to have nuts welded on the rear side, so making enough space for the receiver to slide between would have been tough.

But thanks again to everyone who responded. I was about to give up on a hitch-mounted bike rack as it looked to be too much trouble. Very glad I asked here.
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
toeshark

toeshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Question - So you left the bumper bracket in?... Meaning you used the 2 bolts that originally attached the bumper bracket along with 2 more for the Curt receiver? If so, did you torque all 4 bolts to the 110ft-lb recommendation?

I'm in a similar situation and found that it was easier to leave the bracket in than remove it but wasn't sure of the bumper bracket bolt were any less capable than the ones that came with the Curt receiver.
Yes as far as what I did. I didn’t do the two bumper bolts to the same torque as the two Curt ones. I went off the Mopar instructions for their receiver as a guide and they recommend 90 Nm (~66ft-lbs). Even with that, they use different bolts so it’s still somewhat of a guess. But I figured that since their instructions were designed to use the welded nuts on the bracket, it was closer to what I was doing. I’m just using it for a bike rack so I’m not really worried about them working loose but do check them periodically.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
No need to do any of that. Just take the two outward bolts out, slip the hitch between the bracket and support beam and screw back in the oem hardware on the 2 outer bolts and use the trailer hitch hardware for the 2 inside holes. Took me 20 minutes.
Doesn't work. The hitch won't go in with the bracket in there.

Sponsored

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Worked for me...
I was able to get the metal plate - and then it fit. I don't see how it would otherwise. Tight though. There appeared to be some type of adhesive pad in there was well, maybe for sound of vibration. Anyway,. when I stuffed the hitch it that scraped off.

I have a JLUR with factory steel bumpers. I didn't loosen the bumper per the Rugged Ridge instructions. Whole thing took much longer than I had hope, but I also have minimal tools.

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Also - what is the point of that plate anyway?
I'm not exactly sure what the metal plate is for but I have the factory steel bumper and I all but took off the bumper. I basically unbolted ion the sides and loosened the center bolts without removing them and it wasn't difficult to install-although it took a little longer than I expected. The diagrams in the directions are pretty brutal in the hitch I installed but it wasn't too tough to figure out. I installed the Rugged Ridge Hitch.

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
My 2020 JLUR with steel bumper option only has 3 holes (missing one is an outer hole) in the rear bumper beam to mount the hitch. I am only going to put my dual bike rack on the hitch, but I am not sure why I am missing a hole. Anyone else with this issue?
Sponsored