Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar is more money but it's quality and fits with all four bolts. The trick is to take off two 7mm and two 10mm bolts that hold that plate, push the hitch in, line up the four hitch bolts and torque them down. Install the 7 & 10mm bolts and your done.
And that's with the smittybilt?
Sponsored

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
JK Hitches - YES !!! JK Wiring Harness - NO !!!

The bumper doesn't need to be taken off, just get underneath and you'll see two bolts in position 1 and 4 of the 4 bolt pattern of the JK hitch *yes it will work* although it has a plate with the receiving nuts welded on. Save the factory bolts and just re-use these unless your bolts with the JK hitch assembly/kit work with the welded nuts on the plate. Leave the plate there, just slide it up onto the frame (plate will be OVER the hitch plate, not under) and the holes will match. No need to take the muffler down unless you are so inclined to remove from the hanger. VERY VERY EASY INSTALL. Also, I went ahead and put on the JK Curt Class III hitch on as it is a bit more "heavy grade."

I have the LED light option from the factory so I can't tell if I am making a global statement, but the 4 pin wiring harness from the Curt (Model 55124) assembly doesn't match up. COMPLETELY different plug and I am not splicing just to get immediate gratification. I think I'll take the entire lens assembly to the rental store and just see if an existing wiring harness on a Chrysler product will work. I doubt it, but will give it a shot.
I installed exactly like you said. Plate with welded nuts won't work under the hitch plate just over it. Some little help to move it in is needed though. I reused the two factory bolts but can't find the other two. You have some recommendations on where to buy them? Home Depot have the 4 or 5 inches when the needed ones are like 4 1/2 and with fine thread.

Jordon_Taylor

First Name
Jordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Has anyone installed this? I talked to Smitty and they said it WILL NOT work on the JLs.
I do have this installed on my JL. Had the guy at 4WP walk out and with me to verify the fit before I bought it. The bolt holes lined up just fine. The nuts were not welded on as shown in the image on the 4WP webiste though, It installed pretty easily and seems snug to me. Haven't needed it yet, but don't foresee any issues.

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I got the drawtite, it had 4 welded nuts on it. If you have the bumper brace you can grind the weld off the 2 outer nuts and use the factory bolts for the outer holes with the bumper bracket over the hitch. Or just get one without welded nuts. I got mine on Ebay for the JL for 73.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Which models get the bumper braces? My Sport S didn't have them, and the Draw-Tite hitch bolted up in literally 5 minutes. It took longer to find my ratchet.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Which models get the bumper braces? My Sport S didn't have them, and the Draw-Tite hitch bolted up in literally 5 minutes. It took longer to find my ratchet.
I have a rubicon and mine has the brace, but that's not the issue. That fell right down when I took the bolts out. My issue is that I can't get a wrench in place to hold the nuts with the steel bumper. The super small cutouts where you would put a wrench, aren't large enough to fit a head of a wrench that is the correct size of the nut.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a rubicon and mine has the brace, but that's not the issue. That fell right down when I took the bolts out. My issue is that I can't get a wrench in place to hold the nuts with the steel bumper. The super small cutouts where you would put a wrench, aren't large enough to fit a head of a wrench that is the correct size of the nut.

I have the Sahara with the plastic bumper and it has the bumper brace, plenty of room for the nuts. I'm guessing there all somewhat different.

Sponsored

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Any update on steel bumper install? I’m looking to do same

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My JKUR with plastic bumper has a brace also.

So, what does that bumper brace do? Can it just be removed, like is it just a thing to help on the assembly line or is an actual functional brace for some kinda support?

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My JKUR with plastic bumper has a brace also.

So, what does that bumper brace do? Can it just be removed, like is it just a thing to help on the assembly line or is an actual functional brace for some kinda support?
It is a brace for the plastic bumper. I just put a steel bumper on mine and the bracket was no longer needed. If you have the plastic bumper looks to me you need the brace.whole bumper weighs about 5lbs

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Not sure it has been said, the Tow package includes the Upgraded alternator and larger battery that is a part of the $800, however what I had an issue with is on the Sahara and Rubicon, the larger alternator and Battery were standard without the tow pkg yet they still charge $800 to add the tow package. So I just installed my own hitch and wiring from E-trailer on my Sahara. So for the JL/JLU Sports it is not a bad option to have

also not if you use a sleeve extension that typically reduces your tongue weight limits

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine didnt have the tow package, so I had to add it and all in at 380, with the factory auxiliary switch.
Sponsored