OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
There went another $22
Worth every penny. Mine’s been installed for 6 months and still fits perfectly. Also, no chips, of course.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Ordered mine from @R 3 on BF......still waiting to get my 2019 JL.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered mine yesterday. My Jeep is due to arrive any day now.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
R 3 Hinge covers went on but maybe its because I'm not a professional but just didn't look good enough for me ... some parts wouldn't stick, the top wasn't aligned perfectly so there was extra film hanging off. Instead of spending another 40 to try again, I got these hinge protectors and did the matte spray as another poster did. Wasn't my intention when I started but now I have ultra hinge protection lol (film + plastic). Got to say, took me a lot less time to put on the covers.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1431.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1432.jpg

Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I installed the @R 3 hinge protectors yesterday. Have 50 miles on the Jeep and did already have a small chip. The first hinge was not easy. The others went on without issue. It was cold in Colorado yesterday and heating my garage did not do the trick. I used a heat gun on low and kept it away from what I was doing, but a little heat went a long way in making the film flexible and easy to install. I am not sure if I was supposed to do this, but they went on really easy once a tried. Lastly, I just used my fingers. I bought a set of tools and quickly found my fingers to be sufficient.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the @R 3 hinge protectors yesterday. Have 50 miles on the Jeep and did already have a small chip. The first hinge was not easy. The others went on without issue. It was cold in Colorado yesterday and heating my garage did not do the trick. I used a heat gun on low and kept it away from what I was doing, but a little heat went a long way in making the film flexible and easy to install. I am not sure if I was supposed to do this, but they went on really easy once a tried. Lastly, I just used my fingers. I bought a set of tools and quickly found my fingers to be sufficient.
You have more patience and skills than the average consumer of the R3 product ....

But to prove the point, after only a few hundred miles I already had nicks and chips after mild off roading and just a few gravel roads.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
R 3 Hinge covers went on but maybe its because I'm not a professional but just didn't look good enough for me ... some parts wouldn't stick, the top wasn't aligned perfectly so there was extra film hanging off. Instead of spending another 40 to try again, I got these hinge protectors and did the matte spray as another poster did. Wasn't my intention when I started but now I have ultra hinge protection lol (film + plastic). Got to say, took me a lot less time to put on the covers.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1431.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1432.jpg
Those definitely look easier to install. Do you think there would be any chance of the paint clouding, from moisture getting trapped under the hinge covers?

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those definitely look easier to install. Do you think there would be any chance of the paint clouding, from moisture getting trapped under the hinge covers?
Well they are held on with automative 3M tape thin strips on the inside - not water sealed, so yes. I'd be surprised if the paint was affected with moisture being there. If you are super worried I suppose you could add the 3M clear film hinge from R 3 in prior to the covers. But then, if you do that, why not just do the R3 ?

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I found this product on Amazon. Rock Stopperz. Really easy install also
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge rock chip protection 1659887753063
Sponsored