Hiding the FOB while hiking

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Jaguar Land Rover has an ‘Activity Key’. Basically a wearable key fob that’s water/shock proof etc.

04CDCF0E-B0FE-46A4-B448-08FEC81BFFFF.jpeg

This has been available for a couple of years from JLR but doesn’t seem to have been offered by other manufacturers or the aftermarket yet.

You can use it to lock the vehicle, with the key fob left inside, which it deactivates until you return. Leaving the fob inside the vehicle though causes all sorts of difficulties with British insurers and their definitions of ‘negligence’.
was literally typing that out as you posted yours.
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I know the key fob is huge, but why not just carry it on the hike?
Weight. In August we did 23miles over 4 days, at 10,000ft elevation, and ate like kings so weight is a big issue. We even trimmed our backpack straps to get rid of the excess length, haha. Wife, kids and myself still had about 120lbs total including fly rods. Kids are 9 and 13. Good times.

I hid the FOB under the hood in the subframe hole. Worked good.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Weight. In August we did 23miles over 4 days, at 10,000ft elevation, and ate like kings so weight is a big issue. We even trimmed our backpack straps to get rid of the excess length, haha. Wife, kids and myself still had about 120lbs total including fly rods. Kids are 9 and 13. Good times.

I hid the FOB under the hood in the subframe hole. Worked good.
Yep. I get it. Done my share of 10-15 day treks of 80-115 miles and forced ruck marches, so I have made those choices for goes and what doesn’t. It’s a key fob. I’ll carry mine. It’s easier than explaining to an insurance company how someone stole my Jeep because the key was there ‘somewhere’ and I was not. Trimming the straps is overkill. SMH.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
The weight of the fob seems inconsequential compared to other gear you probably have with you when hiking. I never have any issues tossing it in the small top pocket of my backpack.

At 2.90oz, even if you're an ultralite backpacker with a 28lb pack weight, it'll increase your pack weight by 0.3%...

20191104_122937.jpg

OP
OP
citzen z

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
i should have been more specific and i apologize. while i carry a key with me, i was looking at hiding a spare fob so that if anything happened to the fob i was carrying (lost, water logged) i would still be ok when i arrived at the jeep when i was finished.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
i should have been more specific and i apologize. while i carry a key with me, i was looking at hiding a spare fob so that if anything happened to the fob i was carrying (lost, water logged) i would still be ok when i arrived at the jeep when i was finished.
Do you hike alone? If not, have the buddy carry the other one and stow it in a dry bag or small pelican along with other ‘keep dry’ items. Two fobs on the hike. Solved.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Stand behind the Jeep, turn right, walk 100 paces, dig a hole, drop in FOB, fill in hole, go on hike. ;)

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I had spare key concerns before a recent trip, so I took the circuit board and battery out of the fob and also hid an extra key blade on the outside of the jeep. I could start using the tip of the fob to push the start button or by holding the battery in place in the bare circuit board. Carry the now water proof (no electronics) fob with you and if you lose it, use the hidden key blade to unlock and use the circuit board to start. I actually put a small circle of 3M protection film on the start button so the constant starting with the tip of the fob wouldn't damage it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I’ve trekked all kinds of through hikes , we are talking about maybe 6 oz? I understand some people want to go ultra lite on all their gear but a little piece of mind is better than worrying about 6 more oz in my osprey. Most of the trough hikes I have done require me to leave my vehicle next to 6 others off the beaten path. Anyone could easily break in to my vehicle and it would not be noticed till I made it back 60 hours later. This is almost up their with the trail gun debate. ( which I don’t carry). Door locks and windows only keep the honest people honest

OP
OP
citzen z

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you hike alone? If not, have the buddy carry the other one and stow it in a dry bag or small pelican along with other ‘keep dry’ items. Two fobs on the hike. Solved.
normally hike alone. but i have received some good ideas here .

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If Jeep would just make a smaller FOB, I'd be happy. It's almost like their marketing department designed it for the billboard space so they could put the big letters "JEEP" on there.

OP
OP
citzen z

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If Jeep would just make a smaller FOB, I'd be happy. It's almost like their marketing department designed it for the billboard space so they could put the big letters "JEEP" on there.
i wish it was smaller also. i hate the fob and would rather have a key to turn in the ignition
Sponsored