Hiding the FOB while hiking

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
I have to use a key to unlock my door, but i seem to remember something that would stop me from leaving the FOB in the jeep overnight. I was thinking about taking the battery out of the FOB and just taking the key with me. Would that still cause issues with the FOB talking to the computer in the Jeep. I seem to remember that by waving the FOB near the ignition button it would still start even if the battery was dead. I normally go hiking for 3 days before returning to the Jeep and dont want a dead Jeep when i return or someone seeing me hide the FOB and taking off. Any help appreciated
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have to use a key to unlock my door, but i seem to remember something that would stop me from leaving the FOB in the jeep overnight. I was thinking about taking the battery out of the FOB and just taking the key with me. Would that still cause issues with the FOB talking to the computer in the Jeep. I seem to remember that by waving the FOB near the ignition button it would still start even if the battery was dead. I normally go hiking for 3 days before returning to the Jeep and dont want a dead Jeep when i return or someone seeing me hide the FOB and taking off. Any help appreciated
7912CBDB-7A47-4E59-BD8D-E59ABE87F500.jpeg

FB9DA460-BC56-483D-AFF0-12F079A9C3C0.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
citzen z

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
thats is such a great idea. thanks. i guess the heavy guauge steel would shield most of the signal. thanks alot for posting that

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
does not recommend those hitch-safes.
Heh. What?
To be fair, if anyone wants to pick any locks, it’s about a minute’s work. Just ask my lock smith who opened my home lock under 10 seconds flat with tooth picks. Or about 2 seconds to cut a bolt lock with bolt cutters.
If someone really wants something, they’ll get it.
Most locks are designed to keep out finder’s-keepers. Not for keeping out professional thieves.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Try the old "tried and true" method. Grab you a small fanny/waist pack and throw your keys, phone, ID, etc. in it. Simple. Cheap. Safe.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

could wrap the key fob in the aluminum foil before placing it into the hitch receiver. should stop most

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Jaguar Land Rover has an ‘Activity Key’. Basically a wearable key fob that’s water/shock proof etc.

04CDCF0E-B0FE-46A4-B448-08FEC81BFFFF.jpeg

This has been available for a couple of years from JLR but doesn’t seem to have been offered by other manufacturers or the aftermarket yet.

You can use it to lock the vehicle, with the key fob left inside, which it deactivates until you return. Leaving the fob inside the vehicle though causes all sorts of difficulties with British insurers and their definitions of ‘negligence’.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
IMO, this was really a missed opportunity on Jeeps part.
There are a few cars out there that have a good solution for this already. Ford has the key code on the door.
Jaguar has the best solution in my opinion though.
They have a rubberized waterproof bracelet which can unlock the trunk when pressed against the logo. You pop your keys into a compartment which cannot be opened unless the truck is open, close the trunk then press the bracelet against the logo to lock it.
It is adjustable enough to safely wear while surfing or other high movement activities.
Given that Jeep is all about "getting out in the wild", I think something like this was obvious to include and the additional costs would have been next to nothing.
Then again, seems like something a 3rd party could do.
Maybe a fingerprint scanner or something.
Sponsored