Redjl20737

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl
Anyone use diode dynamics yet?
I’m finally switching to led or hid for my jl sport.
Sponsored

dugal

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 1974 BMW R90/6
Occupation
Retired, the best job I ever had.
You better check your local DOT regulations about HID. Here in Texas HID headlights are illegal. I had a motorcycle with HID and had to swap out to a standard headlight to get it inspected. I don't know the Maryland DOT rules. LEDs are awesome.

Cheers

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Not leagal in Texas, I’m so glad I saw this thread...

larrynjean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
There can be problems with LED's not getting warm enough to keep the ice and snow melted off in the winter...some company,s are offering heated LED's to fix the winter problem...

I live in PA and went with HID's from the company below in NY...GREAT service and QUICK turn around...Mine were $565.00 with shipping. (but they had a holiday sale)

They has a nice cut off line so they don't blind the on coming traffic...AND YOU CAN SEE GREAT on HIGH or LOW BEAM...

Tom Heusinger

President, HIDprojectors, INC

HIDprojectors.com

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
There can be problems with LED's not getting warm enough to keep the ice and snow melted off in the winter...some company,s are offering heated LED's to fix the winter problem...
I never thought of this. I'm getting a JLU with the LED package, guess I'll have to get used to scraping the snow/ice off of the headlights :(

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Most folks in the snow belt are intelligent enough to brush off the snow before they head out. :facepalm:

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!

I live in PA and went with HID's from the company below in NY...GREAT service and QUICK turn around...Mine were $565.00 with shipping. (but they had a holiday sale)

They has a nice cut off line so they don't blind the on coming traffic...AND YOU CAN SEE GREAT on HIGH or LOW BEAM...

Tom Heusinger

HIDprojectors.com

you make great HIDs but i know you know that LED's get very hot and the driver housing is expressly designed to extract heat from the driver which can melt. now if you want to argue that the heat is coming from the back end as opposed to the bulb housing okay.

Truth is HID's have a ballast, and take time to heat up. no instant on ability that LED's have. Not to mention, LED's way more compact. and consume less voltage. I doubt Jeep developed the lights with them freezing over in bad weather they were tested Im sure.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Most folks in the snow belt are intelligent enough to brush off the snow before they head out. :facepalm:
Agreed - but in my current daily-driver, if there's snow on it I'll remote-start it (which turns on the HIDs) and by the time I drive it the headlights are clear. No more of that with LEDs, oh well.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

Tom Heusinger

HIDprojectors.com

I have a commercial LED lighting company one of our specialty's is cold storage environments, whereas we design LED fixture for cold storage down to -40 (including blast freezers), No heating is needed the fixtures they thaw Ice just fine. LED produces plenty of heat.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
I have a commercial LED lighting company one of our specialty's is cold storage environments, whereas we design LED fixture for cold storage down to -40 (including blast freezers), No heating is needed the fixtures they thaw Ice just fine. LED produces plenty of heat.
yup! my thoughts exactly. And aside from the cool factor of hid, LED is the future. Low power draw and high output!

Sponsored

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi: Ordered 1/30/18 - Delivered 06/12/18- '06 TJ Rubi ( gone ), '75 CJ5 304-V8 (long gone)
All theory and conjecture.
I live in central NY. My Jl is garaged, but my stock LED headlights have been iced over for most of the winter on my forty minute commute to work.
I scrape it off when I arrive. They are clean and clear before heading home, but when I get home, they are covered in ice again.

Add that to the fact that the low beam coverage is not that great and the high beam coverage is only marginally better, I am looking for an alternate solution.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
You better check your local DOT regulations about HID. Here in Texas HID headlights are illegal. I had a motorcycle with HID and had to swap out to a standard headlight to get it inspected. I don't know the Maryland DOT rules. LEDs are awesome.

Cheers
I believe HIDs are legal in all states but they have to be DOT approved many aftermarket kits are not. According to the Texas Traffic Code, HIDs are legal as long as they meet U.S. Department of Transportation regulations and have a DOT symbol stamped on them.
Sponsored