Sponsored

HID projectors legal? or not? va inspection.

HID projectors legal or not?

• Total voters

jhonybravo

First Name
marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler JL
so, i just ordered the new revision Jl Chroma set from HID projectors for my 18 JL jeep , while looking at their page saw i guy claiming he needs to “revert” his headlights bc deeler won’t pass va safety inspection... is this legit did i just throw $1,400 in the gutter? help? opinions?

B90600C1-EE26-4736-8BD4-65F9F73CC408.png
Sponsored

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Well, each state's motor vehicle statutes and regulations will differ, but in New Jersey where I was a Trooper until my retirement, there is no such restriction against projector headlamps and, more importantly, no vehicle manufacturer would offer projector headlamps on their vehicles if they were illegal in any of the fifty states. As an example, my 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie came with projector headlamps as standard equipment and that just wouldn't have happened if they were illegal.
I call BS.

P.S.- Are these headlamps advertised as being street-legal? The only possible problem is if these lights you ordered are for off-road use only, but that should be made clear in their marketing. In Jersey and I suspect all other states, concerning any type of headlamp, and I'll quote the statute, "none of the high-intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver." In other words, if a headlamp is designed so that it always creates a "high-beam" situation, they would likely be a no-go and would be approved for off-road use only.

Last edited:

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked up these headlamps and I think I see what the problem is and it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they are HID projectors. By Federal DOT regulation and state laws, vehicle headlamps are required to be white light only. If a portion of the headlamps you ordered project any color light other than white, they will be illegal on the street.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Not at all being a jerk, but dee-yam! 1400 bucks for headlights. They shine shoes too, right?

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If they are approved by the DOT then they will pass inspection.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jhonybravo

jhonybravo

First Name
marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler JL
Well, each state's motor vehicle statutes and regulations will differ, but in New Jersey where I was a Trooper until my retirement, there is no such restriction against projector headlamps and, more importantly, no vehicle manufacturer would offer projector headlamps on their vehicles if they were illegal in any of the fifty states. As an example, my 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie came with projector headlamps as standard equipment and that just wouldn't have happened if they were illegal.
I call BS.

P.S.- Are these headlamps advertised as being street-legal? The only possible problem is if these lights you ordered are for off-road use only, but that should be made clear in their marketing. In Jersey and I suspect all other states, concerning any type of headlamp, and I'll quote the statute, "none of the high-intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver." In other words, if a headlamp is designed so that it always creates a "high-beam" situation, they would likely be a no-go and would be approved for off-road use only.
thanks for the info chief appreciated

OP
OP
jhonybravo

jhonybravo

First Name
marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler JL
I just looked up these headlamps and I think I see what the problem is and it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they are HID projectors. By Federal DOT regulation and state laws, vehicle headlamps are required to be white light only. If a portion of the headlamps you ordered project any color light other than white, they will be illegal on the street.
yes HID projectors produces headlights with halo, angel eyes and devils eyes multicolor, but this will not be on if headlights r on low or high beam, the multicolor aplication is for off road, but not the halo,angel eyes or devil eye would reflect any color of them applications r on , no color at all when them applications is off

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yes HID projectors produces headlights with halo, angel eyes and devils eyes multicolor, but this will not be on if headlights r on low or high beam, the multicolor aplication is for off road, but not the halo,angel eyes or devil eye would reflect any color of them applications r on , no color at all when them applications is off
Thanks for the information on them. I have no experience with them so I had no idea they were so versatile!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jhonybravo

jhonybravo

First Name
marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler JL
Thanks for the information on them. I have no experience with them so I had no idea they were so versatile!
yeah they have very cool stuff, i wish state laws wouldn’t be soo tight about this kind of stuff

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
Depends on the inspector, if they aren't DOT approved then yes the inspector can fail them.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
As most people have stated already, if the lights are not DOT approved they cannot pass a VA Safety Inspection. Here is a link to the "Approved Equipment List" published by the VA State Police, Safety Division. It's always best to check on things before making the modifications, especially to vehicle equipment that is directly related to safe operation of the vehicle. Those items, as opposed to appearance or other less critical modifications, will always be held to a higher standard.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety_Approved-Equipment-List.shtm