Help with pricing

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm trying to step through the buying process and think I have things figured out. I wanted to post here and see if I'm on the right track. I hate haggling and trying to play games so I'm planning on joining tread lightly for the best deal. It would also be helpful to have a second set of eyes look at this to see if I'm doing something stupid. My goal for the Jeep is to buy something where we're going to be able to explore the forest, planning on towing an A-Frame camper, NOT doing any crazy rock crawling, and get decent mileage and reliability. I also plan on doing the usual mods in the future; 2.5" lift with bigger tires.

If I plug everything into the JLU spreadsheet, I get 61,500, which is pretty close to the $60,720 when I use the web site. If I understand this correctly, with the tread lightly discount, I would be paying 56k for all the options? Thank you in advanced for the help!

Here is what I priced out on the web site:

EXTERIOR
Exterior Colors:Granite Crystal Metallic Clear-Coat Exterior Paint $245
Wheels:17-Inch x7.5-Inch Machined Whls with Black Pockets $0
Tires:LT285/70R17C BSW Off-Road Tires $0
Doors:Hinge-Gate Reinforcement by Mopar $675
Tops:Black 3-Piece Hard Top $1,395
Tops:Mesh Sunbonnet Top by Mopar $175

INTERIOR
Interior Colors:Premium Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats $0
Sound Systems:Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4-Inch Display $0
Speaker Systems:Alpine® Premium Audio System $1,295
Additional Interior Features:Grab Handle Kit by Mopar $80
Additional Interior Features:Plastic Door Sill Guards by Mopar $125
Safety & Security Systems:Remote-Start System $495

PACKAGES
8.4-Inch Radio and Premium Audio Group $1,895
Advanced Safety Group $795
Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group $795
Safety Group $895
LED Lighting Group $1,295
Steel-Bumper Group $1,645
Cold Weather Group $995

POWERTRAIN
3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel Engine with Start Stop $4,500
8-Speed Automatic 8HP75 Transmission $1,500
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio $0
Sponsored

Attachments

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
You need to select the expected discount below invoice. Tread Lightly should get you Invoice -1%, so $56852 (before tax) if you have selected your options correctly. Sales tax is added to that for the total shown at the very bottom.

Look at cell E 128 to see the spreadsheet calculated MSRP. If the value in E128 different from the website, then either your selections are incorrect, the pricing has changed, or there is an error in the spreadsheet.

The website price does not show sales tax whereas the spreadsheet includes the Tread Lightly discount but increases the price from the sales tax.

Spreadsheet: ~(MSRP-7%)+8.625%

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
If I plug everything into the JLU spreadsheet, I get 61,500, which is pretty close to the $60,720 when I use the web site. If I understand this correctly, with the tread lightly discount, I would be paying 56k for all the options?
Looks closer to 57k than 56k but yes, you are correct. But, just be aware that not all dealers will honor the Tread Lightly discount and there are much better discounts available in some markets.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses. I was just really looking to see if I was on the right track with the spreadsheet or not. It took a bit to figure things out but it looks like I did it right.

As for the discounts, I was surprised that a local dealer was offering about 6% under invoice, and this was just the posting on their web site. I just figured I didn't want to play the game of going back and forth a lot but it's something to keep the eyes on.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Thanks for the responses. I was just really looking to see if I was on the right track with the spreadsheet or not. It took a bit to figure things out but it looks like I did it right.

As for the discounts, I was surprised that a local dealer was offering about 6% under invoice, and this was just the posting on their web site. I just figured I didn't want to play the game of going back and forth a lot but it's something to keep the eyes on.

Thanks!
The price of the vehicle is not the entire story. When you consider buying any new vehicle you need to factor in ALL dealer fees. Some charge high doc fees, others have add on's for glass etching, nitrogen filled tires, etc.
When comparing prices always insist on getting the out the door price.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
The difference you might be seeing is the Jeep configurator isn't up to date on the pricing. (unless the recently updated)

Last edited:

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
As for the discounts, I was surprised that a local dealer was offering about 6% under invoice, and this was just the posting on their web site.
Mike, be very, very careful with dealers offering 6% under on their website. Chances are good that it's a bait and switch.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike, be very, very careful with dealers offering 6% under on their website. Chances are good that it's a bait and switch.
Sigh, you're probably onto something. It seems odd... Going back to my original reply, this is why I would rather join tread lightly to get 1% under and not have to deal with the fine print of 'oh btw, here's that bottle of dehydrated water for $200'.
Sponsored