First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
I am looking at a 2021 Rubicon at an out of my state dealership. I was thinking of trying to work a lifetime powertrain warranty within the total price negotiation. The dealership includes a third-party lifetime powertrain warranty in their asking price. What are your thoughts on these. In the past, I have not been a fan of anyone's extended warranties but maybe this is different?? Does Mopar have a plan? Cost?
Thanks in advance for advice.
Sponsored

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Read the extended warranty contract very carefully, and you should seek expert help when there is something you don't fully understand. Most, not all, extended warranties not worth the paper they are printed on.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that Mopar stopped offering the Lifetime warranty due to the outstanding liability. I would check very carefully what this so-called "Lifetime" warranty really is. If it is a dealer warranty, chances are you won't benefit from it given that you live in another state.

FWIW, I am one of those skeptical about extended warranties. However, due to COVID, work-from-home, and fast raising prices, my 3-year old JL only has 15,000 miles. The Jeep's been trouble-free; it makes no sense to get rid of it. So I recently got a Mopar MaxCare 7 Year/60,000 mile warranty with a $100 deductible. Due to the low miles on my Jeep, I paid only $1,200 for the warranty. I figured I'd pay at least that much if one of the many fancy electronics on my JL croaked.

Good luck.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
These warranties, particularly those offered from dealerships via 3rd party insurance companies, often have plenty of fine print that reduce their value considerably. Yes they will typically cover big-ticket expenses in the case of catastrophic engine or transmission failures; but they often exclude many medium-ticket expenses (like coolant pumps etc.) that are more frequent failures and considered wear items. I don't have experience with the Mopar warranty, but a third-party warranty offering for my Mercedes and my brother's BMW both ended up only saving us about 50% of our major repairs over the last few years. Nice, I guess? But we still had plenty of big bills.

Whether or not to buy an extended warranty is primarily a personal finance question. Can you only afford the upfront price of the warranty (or more likely, marginally higher monthly cost when financed)? Or is a potential multi-thousand-dollar repair(s) down the line manageable? Are you capable of saving a bit on your own just in case?

Take how long you're expecting to own the truck, divide the warranty cost across those years, and understand that even after doing so you're still going to have to pay out of pocket for some repairs (and all of the regular maintenance!) -- it's a pretty simple calculation. At perhaps $1500 for a warranty spread out over 5 years of expected ownership, you're paying $300/yr for the peace of mind that there will be no massive repair bills coming your way. A lot of people will happily pay that even if they know that a majority of the time they'll drive the full 5 years and never touch the warranty.

Sponsored

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
My understanding is that Mopar stopped offering the Lifetime warranty due to the outstanding liability. I would check very carefully what this so-called "Lifetime" warranty really is. If it is a dealer warranty, chances are you won't benefit from it given that you live in another state.

FWIW, I am one of those skeptical about extended warranties. However, due to COVID, work-from-home, and fast raising prices, my 3-year old JL only has 15,000 miles. The Jeep's been trouble-free; it makes no sense to get rid of it. So I recently got a Mopar MaxCare 7 Year/60,000 mile warranty with a $100 deductible. Due to the low miles on my Jeep, I paid only $1,200 for the warranty. I figured I'd pay at least that much if one of the many fancy electronics on my JL croaked.

Good luck.
Same here. I needed time more than mileage. I’m usually not a fan of extended warranties, but with the JL’s rising cost, parts availability/product substitutions, assembly line staffing, etc, it made sense for me. Purchased from Tom Winkles for peace of mind. 8yr/60k, $100 deductible, for $980. Hopefully I never need it, but the money I made selling my 21 to buy a 22 and buying from Gupton, more than covered a Sunrider top and MaxCare!

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
You really need to read fine print and pay attention to what is covered, coverage limits, deductible, etc.

Some of these plans are great others no so much and can be restrictive. Bought one for my sons first car (used Nissan) and it was great. Transmission went out after 10K of ownership and for $100 deductible got a brand new transmission with no issues at all. Had one on my daughters 1st car (used BMW) and while the coverage was great it restricted me to certain service centers. It wasn't a problem at the time but had she taken that car away to college it would have been an issue.

OP
OP
HDSlowride

HDSlowride

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
I ended up buying a 2021 Rubicon from a dealer in state. Before I left the dealership, I turned down their 3rd party extended warranty plan, which was out of sight. I called Mopar from the dealership and got the 6 year/100K mile Maximum Care plan for less than $2K. ($200 deductible) I am quite satisfied with that.
The Rubicon that I found checked 90% of my boxes. Snazzberry Pearl, body color matched fenders, black hardtop, LED light package, steel bumper group. It didn't have the leather seats but I can live with that. One owner that had it serviced at a dealership about every 6K according to the clean CarFax.
Beat on the salesman until I got him down to just a bit over 43K. Tax, title, license, etc out the door was 45,600. I'm not mad about that.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I ended up buying a 2021 Rubicon from a dealer in state. Before I left the dealership, I turned down their 3rd party extended warranty plan, which was out of sight. I called Mopar from the dealership and got the 6 year/100K mile Maximum Care plan for less than $2K. ($200 deductible) I am quite satisfied with that.
The Rubicon that I found checked 90% of my boxes. Snazzberry Pearl, body color matched fenders, black hardtop, LED light package, steel bumper group. It didn't have the leather seats but I can live with that. One owner that had it serviced at a dealership about every 6K according to the clean CarFax.
Beat on the salesman until I got him down to just a bit over 43K. Tax, title, license, etc out the door was 45,600. I'm not mad about that.
Good choice. I was scrolling down to post NEVER GET A THIRD PARTY WARRANTY!! and am relieved to see that you made the right decision.
Sponsored