OP

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Thanks. These intermittent problems are killing me. Like my axle locker issue it will not be present when I take it in. I drove 80 miles today and sounds totally fine. Hoping to narrow it down to something specific to have them check if it isn’t making the sound when I go
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The timing of the noise coming in right as the oil pump kicks to stage two is suspicious.

Is everyone who is having this problem driving a manual transmission?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So of course although it made the noise all day yesterday it wasn’t this am when I was scheduled to bring it it. When I played my video for the service advisor he thought it could be a heat shield or something. They said they checked everything and everything was fine and could not reproduce the sound. Typical. I am sure it will be back tomorrow

OP
OP

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
The timing of the noise coming in right as the oil pump kicks to stage two is suspicious.

Is everyone who is having this problem driving a manual transmission?
I have noticed that when it is happening it is only when the car is in gear. If I take it out of gear and rev the engine to mid 3000 rpms it sounds normal. If i put it in gear and do the same I get the sound. Not sure what the significance of this is.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I have noticed that when it is happening it is only when the car is in gear. If I take it out of gear and rev the engine to mid 3000 rpms it sounds normal. If i put it in gear and do the same I get the sound. Not sure what the significance of this is.
could be a number of things, might be a drivetrain noise, or could just happen under load on the engine.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Mine has made that noise since the first couple thousand miles. Always told by multiple dealerships that it was normal and they never wrote it up for me. I hit almost 60k before it got slightly louder. Took into dealer and they found bad cam and rockers. The only way I could get the service manager to understand was making him drive next to a concrete dividing wall for a couple of miles. I'll be out of warranty before I know if they fixed it

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Did you have any luck figuring out what this is?
Sponsored