Hard top wind noise

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
I'm considering beefing up all the seals to reduce windnoise on my jlus with hardtop. Were you able to find a solution? I'm getting an avg of 74 decibels at 75mph on smooth asphalt hwy in calm conditions. I did a 8 hour road trip today and it's very annoying. I want to fix this bad!
I never did find a solution. I’ve just been living with it. I plan to drive a 2019 JL when they come out to see if there is any difference. Surely it has to be more people that notice the wind noise, because at 75 mph it’s VERY noticeable! But I came from a Jeep TJ with soft top, so I just assumed the hard top was quieter. I have the hothead headliners and they don’t really do anything to the rushing, buffering noise from the wind. I may end up swapping my hardtop for a soft top; if I’m gonna hear wind noise all the time, I may as well be able to flip the top up and down easier.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
@Wfd1244
Thanks for the reply. I actually just ordered the hothead headliner this morning hoping it would help with wind noise and make my sound system sound better. At $500, it needs to be a meaningful upgrade. Was it worth it for you?

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Wfd1244
Thanks for the reply. I actually just ordered the hothead headliner this morning hoping it would help with wind noise and make my sound system sound better. At $500, it needs to be a meaningful upgrade. Was it worth it for you?
The hotheads are a good upgrade. The jeep is fairly cooler in the summer (still waiting for winter to see how the insulative properties are.) They have a reflective foil to repel heat, and actually class up the interior of the jeep. But, the wind rushing noise that hits the front windshield is still there. It seemed like the headliners and assasin strips did “deaden” ambient noises a little, but I’ve just come to terms with the louder interior of the jeep. I try to drive with the windows down; it’s almost more enjoyable that the wind noise with the windows up.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Have you tried to dynamat the entire hard top interior.

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried to dynamat the entire hard top interior.
Would that help? It already has the sound assasin strips. Can’t see where I would gain much more sound dampening?

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The hotheads are a good upgrade. The jeep is fairly cooler in the summer (still waiting for winter to see how the insulative properties are.) They have a reflective foil to repel heat, and actually class up the interior of the jeep. But, the wind rushing noise that hits the front windshield is still there. It seemed like the headliners and assasin strips did “deaden” ambient noises a little, but I’ve just come to terms with the louder interior of the jeep. I try to drive with the windows down; it’s almost more enjoyable that the wind noise with the windows up.
I also bought 72 sq ft of Noico 80mil butyl sound deadener and am going to do the floor/doors. I'll report back on how it goes. I'd like to add some black 1" thick sound absorbing tape to the door/freedom panel/windshield seals to see if that helps.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Would that help? It already has the sound assasin strips. Can’t see where I would gain much more sound dampening?
But those don’t really fill the entire hard top.

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also bought 72 sq ft of Noico 80mil butyl sound deadener and am going to do the floor/doors. I'll report back on how it goes. I'd like to add some black 1" thick sound absorbing tape to the door/freedom panel/windshield seals to see if that helps.
Let us know how that goes! I may replicate it!

I don’t have the upgraded stereo; the Alpine comes with “acoustic glass” which is supposedly more noise cancelling. Maybe after my first Rock chip I’ll try to get the acoustic glass.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Let us know how that goes! I may replicate it!

I don’t have the upgraded stereo; the Alpine comes with “acoustic glass” which is supposedly more noise cancelling. Maybe after my first Rock chip I’ll try to get the acoustic glass.
I will report back...I asked my dealer about the acoustical windshield and they said the jlus and rubicon has acoustical glass. I'm convinced the sound is coming from the seals around window/door or windshield. You?

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will report back...I asked my dealer about the acoustical windshield and they said the jlus and rubicon has acoustical glass. I'm convinced the sound is coming from the seals around window/door or windshield. You?
I feel like the worst of my noise comes from the windshield area, mostly the top crossmember that runs from the front A pillars. Where the freedom panels meet the windshield frame.

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
It sounds to me like my noise is coming from the door seals. The dollar bill trick pulls awful light. I tried to tighten the latches without much luck. The glass and the active noise cancelling is a waste. So far it's still two thumbs up on the JL, but I really could have used less wind noise.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
It sounds to me like my noise is coming from the door seals. The dollar bill trick pulls awful light. I tried to tighten the latches without much luck. The glass and the active noise cancelling is a waste. So far it's still two thumbs up on the JL, but I really could have used less wind noise.
In my older GM trucks, when door weather seals got old and less sponge-eee I bought some thin round rubber weather strip and slid it behind to make it thick again. Maybe that’ll work

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Just remember a tiny adjustment goes a long way.
I'm curious...Have you ever added foam weather strips to improve door seal/hardtop seals? For example, I drive 30k miles/year and when a harley or 18 wheeler is remotely close, I'd like to quiet the sound if possible. I made the windshield hinge adjustment you recommended with minimal improvement. I would like to improve the door & freedom top seals, but dont see onvious flaws in the seals after inspecting. Going 75mph on smooth asphalt hwy, my decibel app is reading around 75db holding in air above center console. Thanks for your feedback.

Lotchs

First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I guess I’m a “lucky” one? I have no noise at all inside my Jeep. (Unless I’m just assuming wrong) All I can hear is the sound of the engine purr. I’ve driven it at speeds to 70 with the radio off trying to hear what others are describing. Leaning forward towards the windshield. Putting my ear up towards the panels.... nothing. Maybe I need an experienced Jeep person to drive it (?) to tell me what they think, but I think I’m pretty solid. :whew:

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
UPDATE:: REGARDING THE "CROSS WIND WHISTLE" (you know who you are)... I was active in this thread for a while, but have been not keeping up so here goes... I installed the Alien Sunshade (birthday present) which involved me dropping the windshield for the first time. I noticed that the drivers side, far left, windshield bolt was a little loose (not tight). I didn't think much of it. I got everything installed, the shade is awesome btw, and since then, the whistle, which only occurred in high cross or against winds at highway speeds, on the drivers side , is gone. MAKE SURE YOUR WINDSHIELD BOLTS ARE TIGHT! Maybe, if the windshield is not seated tight, maybe a slight gap is created causing a wind leak. AKA whistle.
Sponsored