Sponsored

hard top detailing.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
I used chemical guys V07 on my hard top when I waxed the Jeep. It wiped off just fine.
Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I use Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Black spray wax. It has black parrafin in it that fills in minor surface scratches from branches and such. Beads like crazy and lasts a long time. If I don't have the black on hand, the regular works perfectly well, too. Both have UV protection in it, too. I do the hard top once a year, when I first re-install it in the Fall.

Nearly 14 years of Turtle Wax Ice products on my JK hard top have left it in great shape, too.

1624796606319.png
This is an interesting product. I'm a huge meguiar's fan and have been using their hybrid ceramic sprays and washes. I recently bought a roof top tent that I accidently scratched a bit. This product may help fill the scratches in and protect them in the future. Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
The black hardtop is painted. It’s a very thin coat of matte black on the white SMC. The paint is very easy to rub through. Keep products to a minimum. Turtle Wax Ice leaves no residue and has no cleaner abrasives in it. 303 is great on plastic, but not really meant for paint.

I just wipe mine down with a damp micro fiber and detail spray every once in awhile. The more product you put on it, the more the paint is stressed. This and drive through car washes are why you see 5 year old Jeeps with the paint worn off of the roof. Absolutely do not use Armor All on the roof, that will remove the paint quicker than anything other than a buffer.
i was wondering how thin the paint is on the jl top. because i've seen scratches on other jeeps and it has gone down to the base layer.

i dont like like the drive thru wash because the brushes, cloths, etc are never aligned right and misses spots. so the jl will never see it.

i've used armor all a long time ago and didnt like it due to formula they use. it tends to dry out the rubber. now today formula might of changed. idk and wasnt looking into getting it.

thanks for the heads up on so good info.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I’ve been using Turtle Wax Ice on the whole Jeep - body, fenders, black top, bumpers - for almost 3 years now with great results. I’ve read a lot about the 303 protectant too but haven’t tried it.
After reading multiple threads on the forum, I also went with the Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax. I’ve only been using it for a month but it seems to work well and is very easy to use.

I almost bought the Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine by mistake at first. I’ve seen conflicting reports on whether or not the seal & shine is as good for the plastic, matte paint, stickers, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I would think 303 on a roof would streak down on your windshield when it rains and make a big mess.
i see what you are saying. however, when it dries, theres should be no problem. if that was the case, no one would use it.

Billy Baldone

First Name
William Stutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 JL Willy's
When I am ceramic coating Jeeps, I use a ceramic on the hard top too. P&S Sole ceramic coating is available to the general public, and a great product. It will work very well on hard tops

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I hadn't thought of that. I slathered mine in 303 the first time I had it off, and that seemed to do well, but I never paused to consider that it's painted fiberglass or whatever, and not plastic. I used Turtle Wax Blue Ice on my truck from the time it was new, twice a year, and all the plastic trim looks factory. I used Blue Ice on the new Jeep's painted surfaces, but for some reason, I had it in my head that the top was plastic.

Hmmm. Not too late to change my game plan. I'm glad we had this conversation.
i knew the top is fiberglass. thats was one reason for this post. to not only see whats everyone method is. also what product is used.

this is a pretty good conversation, because it gives you a better view on things.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
great info. here. in general, "most" of the products is good for the top and it comes down to personal preference. sound like waxing the top is not all that bad to do. since i have nu finish products (wash soap, wax, detail spray) i think i'll see about doing the wax once a year on the top and detail spray if necessary. might just use the nu finish wash soap and call it quit since the soap does bring out a nice shine on the top. 303 is on my list for the fenders, etc.

but keep the info coming. we are always open to different ides and info.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you put NuFinsh on it (great product by the way) you will never get it completely off the paint. You will forever have white residue in the texture. I believe the instructions say not to use it on matte paint. Plus, it has mild abrasives and petroleum based chemicals in it that will damage the matte paint. It isn't like regular automotive paint with a base coat and clear coat. It's single stage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
If you put NuFinsh on it (great product by the way) you will never get it completely off the paint. You will forever have white residue in the texture. I believe the instructions say not to use it on matte paint. Plus, it has mild abrasives and petroleum based chemicals in it that will damage the matte paint. It isn't like regular automotive paint with a base coat and clear coat. It's single stage.
well. that what i was thinking. wax on a textured surface will leave the white residue behind. i think i'll just use the nu finish wash soap on the top and call it a day. the soap itself does a pretty good job.

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, BMW M5 E34
I used to use Autoglym plastic and rubber care on pretty much anything that was black on my cars, from door/window rubber to bumpers, door handles, everything. I even on occasion used it on my tyres but that's probably a waste of product.

It always seemed to last well and I only recently bought some more in preparation for when I pick up my Rubicon, that I'm finally due to pick up tomorrow but was surprised to see that it is no longer a green gel and looks almost clear. Unsure when it changed as I had several bottles that have lasted me well through the years. Hopefully this new look/formula will work as it once did.

Anyway, I think unless advised otherwise, I'll be using this on bumpers, wheel arches (fenders), mirrors etc and roof sections.

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Doing a search before asking about this exact product and found your post. I was about to order it but noticed on the back it says not to use on matte finishes. It seems like the regular (non-painted) black hardtop is more of a satin finish but just curious if you’ve had any issues since posting this? Seems like the perfect product for the basic hard top. Thanks!

I use Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Black spray wax. It has black parrafin in it that fills in minor surface scratches from branches and such. Beads like crazy and lasts a long time. If I don't have the black on hand, the regular works perfectly well, too. Both have UV protection in it, too. I do the hard top once a year, when I first re-install it in the Fall.

Nearly 14 years of Turtle Wax Ice products on my JK hard top have left it in great shape, too.

1624796606319.png
Sponsored