Hanging top from garage ceiling.

Mthayeck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Have any of you hung your hardtop vertically from the ceiling using the front mounting holes? My ceiling in the garage is too low to hang it like it sits on the Jeep but I have room to hang it vertically in the corner where it wouldn’t get in the way. Just worried that the holes wouldn’t support the weight. Thanks in advance and any pics would be great!!!

B1FF21A3-E65E-499E-9B52-74379562BB77.jpeg
Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Have any of you hung your hardtop vertically from the ceiling using the front mounting holes? My ceiling in the garage is too low to hang it like it sits on the Jeep but I have room to hang it vertically in the corner where it wouldn’t get in the way. Just worried that the holes wouldn’t support the weight. Thanks in advance and any pics would be great!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Hanging top from garage ceiling. B1FF21A3-E65E-499E-9B52-74379562BB77
I would not do that.

Just install some D rings or eyelets in the ceiling, then run a few straps underneath the hardtop as the above poster suggested. Get some pool noodles to put on top of the top then you can cinch it all the way up to the ceiling

If you have any kind of wood working ability (we're talking the most basic possible here) put some threaded inserts in a 2x4 that's cut to about the length of the bottom part of the top. Then run some bolts through the hard top mounting holes to secure the 2x4 to the top, and then you can run the strap under that. Keeps the strap off of the paint and reduces the stress on that tiny little edge.

I used to have that setup, I'll see if I have any pics

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ‘20 Grand Cherokee White; ‘12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
I would be more inclined to use a couple of wide webbing straps around the the hardtop to form a cradle. It would spread any load over much more area and likely be more secure.
Agreed. That would be a lot of weight to support from those two mounting points. Maybe use them to secure it in the upright position at most but definitely not to hold it up.

Out of curiosity, how is it that the ceiling is too low to hold it as it sits on the Jeep but tall enough to hang the top vertically?

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Oh Jesus, I just re-read that you wanted to hang the top vertically from only those 2 holes?

I'm gonna change my "I wouldn't do that" to ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO THAT.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE..

Unless you’re looking for an excuse to buy a new hard top.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
After re-reading your post one thing is not clear to me - can you drive your Jeep in to your garage?

If so, you likely have enough room to lift it vertically from the Jeep and park forwards with the hood under the hanging top. It doesn't need to be lifted too high to be able to drive the Jeep out from under it, although awkward walking under it when the Jeep is out of the garage.

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
That is NOT a good idea. Those holes will not support the weight of the top, unless you plan on taking out the glass to lighten the load.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Agreed, would not hang entire top from those two holes. 4 HD eyelet screws into the joists, 2 ratchet straps equalizing load. Bought from home depot for about 30 bucks.

20200605_173232.jpg

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
I dont hang the whole thing off those.
I do lift and hang it using them, splitting the load with Topsy brackets in the back.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hanging top from garage ceiling. 20200329_112313

Jeep Wrangler JL Hanging top from garage ceiling. 20190525_130331
Sponsored