First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
How are all of you hanging your 2 door hard top without crushing the foam seals? I have a DIY system in mind but am worried about crushing the foam around the top and don't want to create leaks or air noise.
Thanks
Sponsored

texasrugby911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S 2 Door
I went overboard on my DIY system. I bought 4 X-mounts, and mounted them to the studs on my garage ceiling. Then I ran 2 buckle straps going from the front to the back between the glass and the top. It does push on the seal, but there hasn't been any leaking, and no additional wind noise that I have noticed. The buckle straps work great when lowering, and I am able to raise and lower it by myself. There's several threads out there that I followed.
Buckle straps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5K9D7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
X-Mounts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAGFNYD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
X-post from another post. As to the "crush seals" question, you can pull the rear seal off just a tad at the corner. Slip the strap through, and leave the seal unattached while hanging. Then, when you put it back on, just clip the seal back. It pulls off and on pretty easily.

With this, your goal isn't to "raise" the top to the roof. Just get it a couple inches off the frame, then drive out from underneath it. When you want to put it back on, just back up under it. Works like a charm.

Installed a DIY top hoist/hanger in my garage. Total cost = $33. It is simply 4 screw eyes (something like 3/8" x 5") and a couple of ratchet straps from Home Depot (3333lb, 27' x 2"). $15 for the screw eyes and the straps are $8.88 apiece.
jeep-top-hanger-png.png

But, you know the best part? When I take the Jeep to the camp, all I had to do was put some heavy-duty lag bolts in the floor joists, and I can remove the top there (yes, I have to get on a ladder to raise it - but I have to anyway to attach the straps, because we don't want stuff hanging all the time there).

jeep-top-hanger-camp-front-png.png

jeep-top-hanger-camp-side-png.png

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I actually plan to raise it to the roof. I will pull the Jeep into my barn and use a electric hoist to lift it up and out of the way. I like the idea of just pulling the seal away and putting a strap through it.
Thanks
Sponsored