Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well guys I made the decision to get a mini polisher to add to what I recently picked up

I did my wife's vehicle several weeks ago and used 6.5” pads with a Griots G9 with LC CCS pads and had to do some areas by hand so after looking at the Jeep I decided after doing some searching and reading and chatting with some guys like @Chocolate Thunder to get a mini polisher and added the Griots G8 mini and will use 3.5” LC CCS pads as well, it comes with a 2” backer to but I don’t think I need to go that small so will not get pads for it yet.

So in a few weeks when my schedule allows I will:

*Chemical wash (Wheels separate)
*Dry
*Clay
*Megs 34 wipedown

Paint correction (3D One using LC CCS pads *Orange, White, Green/Blue for correction, may have to use orange on just the hood but will see what a white pad does first and step down use the 3D One using different pads

Wipe with Megs 34, was thinking about a IPA wipedown but changed my mind.

** 3D Poxy sealant** this is optional and still seeing if I can use with the Megs wax

Megs Hybrid Ceramic G200416 ( cure time and compatibility I’m checking on using it with the Poxy )
Megs Hybrid Ceramic Detailer G200526

Will take some pics as I go and then some finish ones, it was suggested to me to consider a ceramic coating but I like to detail so if I did the ceramic coating it would reduce my relax time washing and waxing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner 2C80AFD4-895E-410D-BA80-F31361751540
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well guys I made the decision to get a mini polisher to add to what I recently picked up

I did my wife's vehicle several weeks ago and used 6.5” pads with a Griots G9 with LC CCS pads and had to do some areas by hand so after looking at the Jeep I decided after doing some searching and reading and chatting with some guys like @Chocolate Thunder to get a mini polisher and added the Griots G8 mini and will use 3.5” LC CCS pads as well, it comes with a 2” backer to but I don’t think I need to go that small so will not get pads for it yet.

So in a few weeks when my schedule allows I will:

*Chemical wash (Wheels separate)
*Dry
*Clay
*Megs 34 wipedown

Paint correction (3D One using LC CCS pads *Orange, White, Green/Blue for correction, may have to use orange on just the hood but will see what a white pad does first and step down use the 3D One using different pads

Wipe with Megs 34, was thinking about a IPA wipedown but changed my mind.

** 3D Poxy sealant** this is optional and still seeing if I can use with the Megs wax

Megs Hybrid Ceramic G200416 ( cure time and compatibility I’m checking on using it with the Poxy )
Megs Hybrid Ceramic Detailer G200526

Will take some pics as I go and then some finish ones, it was suggested to me to consider a ceramic coating but I like to detail so if I did the ceramic coating it would reduce my relax time washing and waxing.

2C80AFD4-895E-410D-BA80-F31361751540.jpeg
What made you decide to use Meg 34 for a pre-wipe before using the sealant, instead of IPA?

The instructional vids and literature with my Avalon King ceramic has me using IPA dilluted and warnings about leaving any product contamination on the surface. They are concerned about incompatibility and preventing the ceramic from bonding to the paint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
What made you decide to use Meg 34 for a pre-wipe before using the sealant, instead of IPA?

The instructional vids and literature with my Avalon King ceramic has me using IPA dilluted and warnings about leaving any product contamination on the surface. They are concerned about incompatibility and preventing the ceramic from bonding to the paint.
After doing my countless searching, reading, calling and emailing makers of various products like I always do due to my OCD 🤪 they all danced around doing a IPA chemical wipe-down, they all advised that heavily diluted IPA in the 10-20% range was ok but it still does cause some clear coat swelling and softening of paints used on modern finishes but all said it’s not going to melt the paint and CC off our vehicles.

After contacting all the folks of products I will use (Pinnacle, Mequiars, Blackfire) they all suggested it’s best to do the least aggressive and go from there, there’s really no way visually to tell if the Megs 34 is better or worst than doing a IPA wipedown prior to doing a true ceramic coat but I’m not doing that and it has nothing to do with cost.

Ceramic coatings allow the end user to enjoy a great long lasting protective shine for a very long time (some over a year) and minimal upkeep is needed but on the other end like a good Carnauba wax only last a few months at best and weather and heat is the enemy of those waxes but they give the paint that warm deep rich color but as I said it’s short lived compared to what you are doing.

I personally love the time of detailing and even before I started my recent rabbit hole of power detailing I enjoyed it and doing a ceramic coating in my thinking would take away from that due to its longevity.

But back to your question of the IPA, the only reason I chose to not do one is because it’s the least aggressive for the LSP I will be using and I will be layering products and after contacting all the folks of all the products I will be using that all agreed the Megs 34 was perfect as the way it’s designed is it floats the oils and contamination and traps is so it can be wiped off using good MF towels.

My plan is to layer as I said so initially I will do a light chemical wash with stripping soap then dry and clay and then use the 3D One followed by a wipe down with Megs 34 and then use 3D Poxy glaze prior to the Megs Hybrid Ceramic wax and technically my LSP would be the Megs Hybrid detailer even though the detailer has the shortest life but from my research one applies the longest lasting product first and that would be the 3D glaze.

If AK says do a IPA then by all means do one as they surly know their product but for me and the products I will be using I chose a different route after talking with the makers of what I will be ussing.

I am slowly finding out why serious detailers get the $$ they do as it’s all about compatibility.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
After doing my countless searching, reading, calling and emailing makers of various products like I always do due to my OCD 🤪 they all danced around doing a IPA chemical wipe-down, they all advised that heavily diluted IPA in the 10-20% range was ok but it still does cause some clear coat swelling and softening of paints used on modern finishes but all said it’s not going to melt the paint and CC off our vehicles.

After contacting all the folks of products I will use (Pinnacle, Mequiars, Blackfire) they all suggested it’s best to do the least aggressive and go from there, there’s really no way visually to tell if the Megs 34 is better or worst than doing a IPA wipedown prior to doing a true ceramic coat but I’m not doing that and it has nothing to do with cost.

Ceramic coatings allow the end user to enjoy a great long lasting shine for a very long time (some over a year) and minimal upkeep is needed but on the other end like a good Carnauba wax only last a few months at best and weather and heat is the enemy of those waxes.

I personally love the time of detailing and even before I started my recent rabbit hole of power detailing I enjoyed it and doing a ceramic coating in my thinking would take away from that due to its longevity.

But back to your question of the IPA, the only reason I chose to not do one is because it’s the least aggressive for the LSP I will be using and I will be layering products and after contacting all the folks of all the products I will be using that all agreed the Megs 34 was perfect as the way it’s designed is it floats the oils and contamination and traps is so it can be wiped off using good MF towels.

My plan is to layer as I said so initially I will do a light chemical wash with stripping soap then dry and clay and then use the 3D One followed by a wipe down with Megs 34 and then use 3D Poxy glaze prior to the Megs Hybrid Ceramic wax and technically my LSP would be the Megs Hybrid detailer even though the detailer has the shortest life but from my research one applies the lo lasting product first and that would be the 3D glaze.

If AK says do a IPA then by all means do one as they surly know their product but for me and the products I will be using I chose a different route after talking with the makers of what I will be ussing.

I am slowly finding out why serious detailers get the $$ they do as it’s all about compatibility.
WM,
Thanks for your explanation. When I read about the constituents in the Meg 34 MSDS and looked them up, it appears they would leave a residue. For my application, that residue would likely be detrimental to the bond of the ceramic. But for your application, it would seem to be a compatibility question and you were able to ensure compatibility.

We are dealing with paint conditions and coatings on the opposite ends the spectrum. My truck was badly neglected and was imbedded very badly with contaminants. I had never so much as waxed it since new in 2014. It was dramatic the color change (the truck is bright GM white) when I used the chemical iron remover and once the correction was done, it really brought the color back to that crisp white it was when new. I was fortunate that the paint/cc hadn't started peeling. This truck has had to live outside its entire life as it is so big it won't fit in my garage. This ceramic should help it last longer with the added UV protection. Since this truck is not used as a primary driver, I also just received a new cover that will cover the front end and cab (but not the camper-bed), which should help ensure further sun damage to the paint and interior is mitigated.

The contaminants in the air around my house are heavily laden with brake dust, since there is a large street very close that is near the bottom of a steep downhill section where cars brake.

While I find paint correction rewarding, doing it on the scale of my truck is fatiguing.
Sponsored