Sponsored

Going in 4WD over 45 mph

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It should be clarified that this “ slap “ comment was an expression to be taken on par with how ridiculous it sounds to be speeding during a snowstorm. I can promise you with 100% certainty that whether anyone feels invincible driving at these speeds in dangerous road conditions if you cause an accident a hand print on the side of the face will be the least of anyone’s worries. Love and peace to all during the holidays.
Totally agree 💯 % 👍
Sponsored

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Use 4WD Auto
I have never used that does it work as good as the normal way. So my I understanding is in 4x4 auto it automatically in gauges in 4 wheel and then disengages when it’s not needed is this correct.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Newbie question. It's recommended to go into 4WD less than 45mph. What if I'm going 70 and hit a snow storm? Must I slow down on the interstate?
No, it's not a problem with part-time 4WD. I usually take my foot off the gas first (and put the clutch in , if equipped). Also, the transfer case engages and disangages 4WD upon torque reversal. So you may have to accelerate and decelerate a time or two before it's functioning.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
There are many types of snow storms and many location and traffic variables. The highway patrol will likely be cruising 70 mph right along with you in a light Nevada or Utah snow storm for instance. It's not speeding when you're still under the speed limit. An ice storm, several inches of snow on the freeway, heavy traffic, poor visibility, etc are reasons to slow down. In many western snow storms, the freeway remains dry and thus safe than a rainy day. And I agree whole heartedly with the last guy, as soon as you initiate a physical altercation the victim is defending themselves even if they shoot you. You stalked them into a gas station and attacked them unprovoked, at no point are you the victim.
I just want to add that in most states, you can be cited for speeding or reckless driving (as opposed to “wreckless”) if you are driving faster than conditions indicate your speed SHOULD be - in spite of the posted speed limit, in inclement weather.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I just want to add that in most states, you can be cited for speeding or reckless driving (as opposed to “wreckless”) if you are driving faster than conditions indicate your speed SHOULD be - in spite of the posted speed limit, in inclement weather.
As I’ve stated numerous times, in an ice storm 70 is reckless. In a light snow, it’s bellow the average freeway speed you’ll see in Nevada or Utah. Everyone from the truckers to the highway patrols will still be rolling along at the speed limit.

tuffytuffy

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sahara unlimited
I have never used that does it work as good as the normal way. So my I understanding is in 4x4 auto it automatically in gauges in 4 wheel and then disengages when it’s not needed is this correct.
exactly...again that's at highway speed... when in tough conditions use the other option

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
The real dangerous situation is the fuck tard that is driving 35 mph on the Hyw with 100 cars backed up behind him like a traffic jam. I always think those drivers should have stayed home or stayed off the Hyw.
I run a trucking company and we see this shite all the time (ergo dash cams in every truck). People who are terrified to be driving, simply should not be driving ... ever.
Fact of the matter is that driving is a complex mental exercise in time and space management for which a considerable number of people are ill equipped to handle.
I've heard it unofficially suggested in some official circles that as many as 65% of all recreational drivers really should not have a driver's license. Scary number.

FWIW ... probably better than 80% of all commercial trucks out there employ video surveillance of some sort ... a.k.a. dash cams.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Does that go for people driving slower i
I run a trucking company and we see this shite all the time (ergo dash cams in every truck). People who are terrified to be driving, simply should not be driving ... ever.
Fact of the matter is that driving is a complex mental exercise in time and space management for which a considerable number of people are ill equipped to handle.
I've heard it unofficially suggested in some official circles that as many as 65% of all recreational drivers really should not have a driver's license. Scary number.

FWIW ... probably better than 80% of all commercial trucks out there employ video surveillance of some sort ... a.k.a. dash cams.
Not disagreeing with what you said but there are some truck drivers on the roads that shouldn’t be driving also.

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Does that go for people driving slower i

Not disagreeing with what you said but there are some truck drivers on the roads that shouldn’t be driving also.
Wholeheartedly agree with that !!! :)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

My bud drives truck. His truck keeps track of everything he does, how fast he drives, how hard he accelerates, how hard he brakes, how fast he goes around corners, how long the truck idles, how much room there is between him and the vehicle infant of him. I am sure there is more. He even stated that there are cameras in the truck that face the driver and cameras that face out the windshield. The truck also tracks how efficient he is as a driver. The company does pay an incentive check each month for safe efficient driving.

On the same note, I had three different drivers including a commercial truck run me off the road in one day while in North Carolina. That prompted me to install a dash cam.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
My bud drives truck. His truck keeps track of everything he does, how fast he drives, how hard he accelerates, how hard he brakes, how fast he goes around corners, how long the truck idles, how much room there is between him and the vehicle infant of him. I am sure there is more. He even stated that there are cameras in the truck that face the driver and cameras that face out the windshield. The truck also tracks how efficient he is as a driver. The company does pay an incentive check each month for safe efficient driving.

On the same note, I had three different drivers including a commercial truck run me off the road in one day while in North Carolina. That prompted me to install a dash cam.
Good move but we as smaller vehicles must realize we have to give them some room. I see truck drivers trying to stay a safe distance from the vehicle in front and people just cut in front of them slow down or even hit the brakes because they didn’t realize traffic was coming to a stop and the truck driver has to pull a miracle out of his ass so he does run over them.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
@wibornz ... there are 22 computers that run today's trucks, and that's without all the safety mitigation systems. We monitor everything ... LOL ... and we do pay for above average performance as well.
However, the one thing I do not agree with is the driver facing camera, so we don't put those in ours. Had to have a big argument with the insurance company over that one, but in the end they saw my point. At the end of the day though, everyone should have a dash cam. I've yet to figure out why they are not put in right at the factory.

@Haberrj ... Pound for pound, we stop quicker than cars. Add in disc brakes and we stop even quicker. The caveat being, we weigh 80,000 lbs versus a car's 5,000 lbs. When cars do dumb shit, it gets ugly.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
If I need to cut a semi, I always go way ahead of the driver and stay in my lane with my signal on for a couple seconds to make sure the trucker is prepared for me to move in. Do you truckers appreciate that or wonder wtf I'm doing?
Sponsored