First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Any words of wisdom from those that have made the switch? How is the comparative on-road ride quality?
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
They're a tad quieter on pavement, but I don't notice a huge difference in general ride quality compared to the KM2. However, the biggest difference in off-road/weather performance for me is they handle snow phenomenally better, obviously something you aren't going to deal with in Phoenix. I did some wheeling in fairly thick powder a while back and I didn't fishtail or slide hardly at all, something much more common with the KM2. It's really a great tire.

jkandjlsnow.jpg

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I find (on my JK) that they seem to be lasting longer and are much quieter. Impressed so far!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
They're a tad quieter on pavement, but I don't notice a huge difference in general ride quality compared to the KM2. However, the biggest difference in off-road/weather performance for me is they handle snow phenomenally better, obviously something you aren't going to deal with in Phoenix. I did some wheeling in fairly thick powder a while back and I didn't fishtail or slide hardly at all, something much more common with the KM2. It's really a great tire.
How do you find the KM3s handle snow on the roads (plowed/packed snow)? I'm seem to be bouncing between KM3s and KO2s for when I upsize things.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Looks like they'd be stickier on the rocks too.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
One overlooked yet worthy contender should definitely be the GY Wrangler Duratracs. They’re relatively quiet on road and are surprisingly agile on low traction surfaces. In the rain, they make the Jeep feel like it’s on dry pavement!

I’ve had the TA KOs and the KM2’s on my TJ: both were really great but I’ve fallen in love with the Duratracs: they’re smooth, make the Jeep feel really planted and I run them at 32psi cold.

383C8A1C-DA90-450C-A9FC-3B6BABB64118.jpeg

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have the Duratracs on the JK and love them. Went KO2 on the JL. Wish I had gone Duratrac now. Just like the Duratrac. May sell these KO2's and put on the DT.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One overlooked yet worthy contender should definitely be the GY Wrangler Duratracs. They’re relatively quiet on road and are surprisingly agile on low traction surfaces. In the rain, they make the Jeep feel like it’s on dry pavement!

I’ve had the TA KOs and the KM2’s on my TJ: both were really great but I’ve fallen in love with the Duratracs: they’re smooth, make the Jeep feel really planted and I run them at 32psi cold.

383C8A1C-DA90-450C-A9FC-3B6BABB64118.jpeg
They are also on my short list (I had KM2s on my two last JKs). For some reason, I have it in my head that the GYs are heavier. Are they?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you find the KM3s handle snow on the roads (plowed/packed snow)? I'm seem to be bouncing between KM3s and KO2s for when I upsize things.
I haven't found much of a difference between how any BFG AT or MT handles packed snow. At the end of the day, they're pretty much the same to me. The KO2 is an awesome tire, too. My only complaint with them is they fling rocks like crazy, but that is by nature of the tighter treads.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are also on my short list (I had KM2s on my two last JKs). For some reason, I have it in my head that the GYs are heavier. Are they?
The only thing I can think of that would make the tire heavier is the fact that you're literally getting more tire. Goodyear tires are much closer to their rated size when mounted and aired up whereas BFGs are at least an inch shorter. My 37s at 32-35psi measure 35.5". I haven't encountered a single BFG MT/AT tire that isn't like this. Even the stock Rubicon KO2s that are technically a 33" tire barely measure 32".

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
315/70R17s in both sizes:

BFG km3 are 74 pounds/tire
GY Duratracs are 61 pounds/tire

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay. That solves my "they're too heavy" prejudice. Thanks.

mrphillips

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
ran km2's on our jk they were great .. have km3's now and i hate them because i couldnt go up a slick mud hill because they wouldnt clean out but a 4cyc yj on pats made it just fine ughhh

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ran km2's on our jk they were great .. have km3's now and i hate them because i couldnt go up a slick mud hill because they wouldnt clean out but a 4cyc yj on pats made it just fine ughhh
That's a bummer. I did some wheeling a couple weeks ago and finally got to truly test my KM3s in mud and they did fantastic. Hills, mudpits, and slick spots weren't an issue at all. Of course, the blue JL with me had Duratracs and didn't get stuck, either, so maybe the mud just wasn't challenging enough for our Jeeps. Nonetheless, I love these tires.

mudding1.jpg

mudding2.jpg
Sponsored