Gear Display - 6 Speed Manual?

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Guy who taught me to drive stick (30yrs ago) would not like you! Granted, there weren’t many cable shifters back then... I can hear him, now, “Get your goddamn hand off the stick! It’s not a goddamn arm rest. Every bump you hit with your hand on that shifter is incremental wear and tear. Don’t be a dummy.” :)
Well of course I don’t use it as an arm rest, mor put any pressure on it; just always hold it, with my elbow on the arm rest supporting all the weight. I just use my gears so much, even to just slow down...
Unless I’m cruising on the highway, which then make me not hold it, it’s usually in my hand
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Well of course I don’t use it as an arm rest, mor put any pressure on it; just always hold it, with my elbow on the arm rest supporting all the weight. I just use my gears so much, even to just slow down...
Unless I’m cruising on the highway, which then make me not hold it, it’s usually in my hand
I think with a cable system like in the JL you can leave your hand there all day. It won’t put pressure on the gears like in a JK.

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
Riding a motorcycle you kinda know- you can feel the engine topping out on whatever gear you’re in
Let me guess Harley Rider?

There's like a 500 RPM difference between gears on my bike. the 6th Gear and 5th gear feel almost exactly the same at 75 mph and as far as feeling the engine top out, sorry but I haven't taken it up to a 180 miles an hour that often so I'm not super familiar with that feel yet.

OP
OP

Jcaron9gt4

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WRX | 2018 JLU Sport S 6 Speed
Gear indicator is a nice to have. Surprised that the Wrangler doesn't have it. Who hasn't at least once missed a gear and/or forgotten which gear they are in. I call BS if someone claims 100% accuracy. I'll claim 99%, but the 1% times it is nice to have the indicator. The WRX has a long throw to 5th gear so sometimes it is easy to miss. Curious how the JL manual compares to your WRX. Not sure if it'll work, but when my Cherokee needs replacement, I would like to at least look at a JL pickup.
My 2015 wrx has awful rev hang. My 2017 was cleaned up a bit was still there. 1st to 2nd was always rough. There was aftermarket tune to fix it, but I always just dealt with it. The JL is much smoother of a transmission so far. The shifts are crisp and smooth compared to my wrx. Very happy with this transmission so far

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
My 2015 wrx has awful rev hang. My 2017 was cleaned up a bit was still there. 1st to 2nd was always rough. There was aftermarket tune to fix it, but I always just dealt with it. The JL is much smoother of a transmission so far. The shifts are crisp and smooth compared to my wrx. Very happy with this transmission so far
Good to hear more good reports of the trans. Any excessive rev hang in the JL? For the most part I hate any rev hang.

I remember driving a manual 2012 VW Passat that probably needed six seconds for the revs to drop to the correct rpm for the next gear...

Meanwhile my Honda drops but holds revs revs for the next two shifts. Kinda cool for 2004.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jcaron9gt4

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WRX | 2018 JLU Sport S 6 Speed
Good to hear more good reports of the trans. Any excessive rev hang in the JL? For the most part I hate any rev hang.

I remember driving a manual 2012 VW Passat that probably needed six seconds for the revs to drop to the correct rpm for the next gear...

Meanwhile my Honda drops but holds revs revs for the next two shifts. Kinda cool for 2004.
No rev hang that I've noticed. After all the initial reports of the manual having issues I was curious to see how it would drive. Very happy and pleasantly surprised.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Let me guess Harley Rider?

There's like a 500 RPM difference between gears on my bike. the 6th Gear and 5th gear feel almost exactly the same at 75 mph and as far as feeling the engine top out, sorry but I haven't taken it up to a 180 miles an hour that often so I'm not super familiar with that feel yet.
Nope- but you’ll know when you’re going through 1st , 2nd etc - I say engine topping out in that gear ( whatever gear you’re in)

yugi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
You can set it up if you have a automatic...not sure if it works for manual...to show the gear you are in......Go to the Instrument Cluster Display Menu Item Gear Display — If Equipped, it's there that it can be turned on.

iklln6

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I can't seem to find this anywhere, but I know you can display the current gear on the 8 speed automatics, but does anyone know if it can be done on a manual? I've always liked being able to quickly see what gear i'm in on the display. It's easy enough to look down at the shifter, but I've had it in my last few cars and have come to like that little feature. Anyone know if this can be done? It doesn't show up in the screen settings like the automatic transmissions do. Thanks.
Huh! Didn't know that was even a thing for MT vehicles. Seriously.

Sponsored

xefie

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Rubicon
Reviving this old thread. I just got the recall transmission flash and it now shows what gear I'm in on the dash. Kind of cool
Do you have more information about the 'recall transmission flash'? I brought my JL in to get the latest round of the clutch recall done, as well as fix some "havoc controls"[1] that took a minute+ to activate on startup, and now I see the MT gear in the cluster.

I'm curious what also might have come along with this recall, and if there's any change to the top gear relearn process as 37s and 4.88s are going on next week.

- Ashley

[1] Tragically I don't know the service techs well enough to get them to tease the service advisor mercilessly about this HVAC typo.

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Do you have more information about the 'recall transmission flash'? I brought my JL in to get the latest round of the clutch recall done, as well as fix some "havoc controls"[1] that took a minute+ to activate on startup, and now I see the MT gear in the cluster.

I'm curious what also might have come along with this recall, and if there's any change to the top gear relearn process as 37s and 4.88s are going on next week.

- Ashley

[1] Tragically I don't know the service techs well enough to get them to tease the service advisor mercilessly about this HVAC typo.
It was for this one
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-wranglers-produced-by-january-22-2021.65706/

I'm not entirely sure what all it changed besides the "clutch slippy, cut power" fix. But after that recall, the gauge cluster display showed the gear

Good luck with your havoc controls! :D
And let me know how it drives with new gears and the 37s

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying trying to make fun or anything but shouldn't you know what gear you're on if you're driving manual? I would understand if it was an 8 speed manual transmission but we're only talking 6. Speed/revs should give it out, or at least it has always been the case with me on most vehicles. If it's for aesthetic reasons then I would understand.
Sometimes we forget.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2021 has the gear indicator. I use it when I'm in 4lo on the trails. Sometimes I'm so focused on the trail I forget what gear I'm in.
Sponsored