Sponsored

Gas cap tether too short?

How do you feel about your gas cap tether?

• Total voters

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Clearly a Darwin Award overachiever.:clap:
The problem Paul is that some of the Darwin Award overachiever's of the world can take us non Darwin Award overachievers "out" with them.
Sponsored

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
And here's a few shots of my "fix" for the tether. I didn't want the cap hanging on my paint, so I put on the hook as described before. As you can see it holds the cap up out of the way so I can fill the tank, and it keeps the cap off my paint.

Fuel door and hook (1).jpg

Fuel door and hook (3).jpg
Is that the stock tether?

Why, why, why are there tethers of different lengths??? Mine can’t reach the paint - I have to hold it out of the way of the nozzle, and turn it sideways to be able to fill the tank at all.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
That wouldn't work for me. The tether is shorter than that. Doesn't reach very far at all. They must have run out of tether plastic. I just need another inch....that's what she said. :cwl:

20181208_070516.jpg

20181208_070540.jpg

20181208_070528.jpg

20181208_070553.jpg
I think mine is even shorter than yours, maybe by another half inch/inch? It’s ridiculous.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I think mine is even shorter than yours, maybe by another half inch/inch? It’s ridiculous.
;)Fellas, fellas, we all have different size...…"tethers." "It's not the size of the tether, it's how you pour the gas.";)

Sponsored

Bill 13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR
Does anyone know why the JL's gas cap tether is so short? I find it's a pain everytime I fill up. I only have a guess in mind....

20181206_185231.jpg
This cracks me up because it has driven me crazy for the last 6+ months and I couldn't believe nobody had posted about it. It's completely ridiculous and I can't believe it made it out of the factory like this.

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
This cracks me up because it has driven me crazy for the last 6+ months and I couldn't believe nobody had posted about it. It's completely ridiculous and I can't believe it made it out of the factory like this.
The person that fills the gas tanks on the factory line must be losing their schmidt :angry: :swear: or the fill up occurs before the cap and tether goes on.

I think this thread needs to become so huge that Jeep notices, decides to do a recall, and throws in a few drops of gas :clap:

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
My Moab I just got about 6 weeks ago has fuel door and the Tether on the cap is plenty long and I just hang the gas cap over top of the door when filling up.

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Moab I just got about 6 weeks ago has fuel door and the Tether on the cap is plenty long and I just hang the gas cap over top of the door when filling up.
You can thank the impact of this thread for your adequate tether :clap:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Is that the stock tether?

Why, why, why are there tethers of different lengths??? Mine can’t reach the paint - I have to hold it out of the way of the nozzle, and turn it sideways to be able to fill the tank at all.
Yup, stock tether. This really is a confusing thread. I understand them being a millimeter or two different, but how can they be so noticeably different? Shouldn't there be a giant box full of tethers that get slapped on at some point in the assembly. Why would there be different sizes? Weird. Glad I got a good one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah another short tether brother! Stay strong, we can get through this :muscle:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The tether sucks. The main problem is there's no where to hang the cap, so the cap gets fuel dripped all over it and then that fuel gets on your hands when you screw the cap back on. Is a cap hanger too much to ask for on a $40,000 vehicle?

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Yup, stock tether. This really is a confusing thread. I understand them being a millimeter or two different, but how can they be so noticeably different? Shouldn't there be a giant box full of tethers that get slapped on at some point in the assembly. Why would there be different sizes? Weird. Glad I got a good one.
I also got a "good" one that I drape over the fuel door. However to answer your post this is hypothetically what happened on the assembly line;

BILL: Crap. ran out of tethers. Joey! Go get me another box of tethers quick - the next jeep is coming up!
JOEY: Searches stock room, sees a box that says "Tethers". Runs back with them.
BILL: Thanks man! Just in time! (not realizing the box says "Chrysler Pacifica" in small lettering). Hey Joey! These seem a bit shorter?
JOEY: No sir, that's what was in the stockroom.
BILL: Oh, FCA must have changed the part to save a few pennies in plastic. Carry on.

Thus Some Jeeps got short changed and some not. But seriously it makes no sense unless the early ones got the short tethers and the later the longer ones. Bet the dealer would change it out under warranty (once they realize that size DOES matter - in this case at least).

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Can some of you measure the tether length? Objective data is meaningful. I can't believe on a six page thread about short tethers there are no actual measurements. Measure length of tether only.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Mine is so long when I hang it over the door it rests on the fender. :giggle:
Sponsored