Sponsored

Gas cap tether too short?

How do you feel about your gas cap tether?

• Total voters

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know why the JL's gas cap tether is so short? I find it's a pain everytime I fill up.

20181206_185231.jpg
It doesn't get in the way if you let it hang below.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've tried, but it's still tricky to get the pump in a good spot.
we might need to see a better photo of the tether itself then.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I simply flip it over the lid and out of the way. No big deal but only car I have that doesn’t have a simple holder.
Something is off on the OP picture. That seems either too short or stuck like @Sean K. says.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Does anyone know why the JL's gas cap tether is so short? I find it's a pain everytime I fill up. I only have a guess in mind....

20181206_185231.jpg
(Said with layers of sarcasm directed at FCA)

Now Steve, if you had gone out and purchased the high end locking gas cap from FCA with the matching Fob key cylinder:

https://www.justforjeeps.com/822151...MI7tzfpYaO3wIVkODICh0rlQWhEAQYAiABEgJcW_D_BwE

matchingkeygascap.jpg

You would have found that it features the "easy break" tether, composed of pre-brittled cheap plastic that's bound to malfunction after 3 or 4 uses.

You'd then go out and buy yourself a replacement tether and solve your problem!;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZNK04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tether.jpg

Seriously, maybe the new tether, whose metal band I had to make the diameter on smaller to achieve better grip might solve your distance problems.

======

(Serious tone)

I have the gas cap cover from MOPAR as well. Two neodymium magnetic disks, about 3/4" in diameter, one magnetically attached to the inside of the gas cap cover, the other epoxied to the gas cap, stick together to keep the cap out of the way when refilling, and prevent it from getting lost.

(Final note: if you ever buy the matching keyed gas cap, watch this video first)

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
(Said with layers of sarcasm directed at FCA)

Now Steve, if you had gone out and purchased the high end locking gas cap from FCA with the matching Fob key cylinder:

https://www.justforjeeps.com/822151...MI7tzfpYaO3wIVkODICh0rlQWhEAQYAiABEgJcW_D_BwE

matchingkeygascap.jpg

You would have found that it features the "easy break" tether, composed of pre-brittled cheap plastic that's bound to malfunction after 3 or 4 uses.

You'd then go out and buy yourself a replacement tether and solve your problem!;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZNK04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tether.jpg

Seriously, maybe the new tether, whose metal band I had to make the diameter on smaller to achieve better grip might solve your distance problems.

======

(Serious tone)

I have the gas cap cover from MOPAR as well. Two neodymium magnetic disks, about 3/4" in diameter, one magnetically attached to the inside of the gas cap cover, the other epoxied to the gas cap, stick together to keep the cap out of the way when refilling, and prevent it from getting lost.

(Final note: if you ever buy the matching keyed gas cap, watch this video first)

LOL watch a 26 minute video on a locking gas cap? I'm waiting until they gave the close proximity lock with it so I don't have to use my key :)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL watch a 26 minute video on a locking gas cap? I'm waiting until they gave the close proximity lock with it so I don't have to use my key :)
lol! You're lucky its Quadratec instead of your average Youtuber that'll run their mouth for an hour about how awesome they are, then spend 2 seconds showing the gas cap...

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I hear you Joe! And let me tell you, for the first time MOPAR JL key configuring installer like myself, this video was NOT optional.

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Not a fan of locking gas caps.

My theory of why it's short is the overfilling issue that is very common pouring gas on the side of the vehicle and floor. I figure maybe not having the nozzle going in enough helps avoid overflow.

Mind you it hasn't occurred on my JL, but it certainly happens on my Liberty and if you YouTube jeep overfill, you'll see what I mean.

Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Not a fan of locking gas caps.

My theory of why it's short is the overfilling issue that is very common pouring gas on the side of the vehicle and floor. I figure maybe not having the nozzle going in enough helps avoid overflow.

Mind you it hasn't occurred on my JL, but it certainly happens on my Liberty and if you YouTube jeep overfill, you'll see what I mean.
I see some saying it's too short but others saying loner ones let the cap scratch the paint. My Suburban doesn't have a gas cap at all. I like that. But then again I don't plan on running it in the mud up to the windows. Maybe Jeep will make long tethers optional for $5

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I hear you Joe! And let me tell you, for the first time MOPAR JL key configuring installer like myself, this video was NOT optional.
I'll have to say after watching the first minute and skipping through it to see what it was about I won't be buying one, so in that respect I'm glad it was 26 minuites....it was a good warning to lazy people like myself

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Am I the only one here that doesn't have the gas door?

giphy.gif
Sean, with sarcasm, don't you know that loving a brand of vehicle is defined as accepting the fact that no other brand designer in his/her right mind would fail to include a feature like a gas cap cover, that we as Wrangler owners have come to expect is an accesory?

I literally coined a word for it:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chjeeped

As an aside, I just looked at my link for the locking gas cap cover and it reads:

"Wrangler JL Keyed to Ignition Locking Gas Cap"

I'm going to suggest that the sellers re-word this title to read:

"Wrangler JL Capable of Being Keyed to Ignition Locking Gas Cap with Needle Nose Plyers, Previous examination of an instructional video, and a Sedative"

Sponsored