Sponsored

Fox Performance Elite 2.5" How to adjust.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
A few months ago I put a set of Fox Performance Elite 2.5" shocks on my JL. I got them from Accutune set up in their "Adventure" tune. When I first put them on I couldn't be happier because they road so much better than what I had before. I basically put them on and turned the dials back one click from full + and drove it. Now I'm wondering if I can get it to ride even better, but I don't understand what the dials are actually doing. I've read the directions but I just don't understand them. I think that I would like the shocks to rebound less harshly. The roads I'm driving on are bumpy country roads. Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored

dcm80401

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe / 2023 JLUR 4xe
FYI, I run the Duel Sport Tune pretty much as loose as possible on streets. I stiffen the low speed if I am on Interstate type driving. Overall it handles excellent on the street yet firm enough to remind what you are driving.

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
FYI, I run the Duel Sport Tune pretty much as loose as possible on streets. I stiffen the low speed if I am on Interstate type driving. Overall it handles excellent on the street yet firm enough to remind what you are driving.

I wish i had two sets so i could see which tune i liked best. I have the adventure series tune and its really damn good but it could be better. Set flat to the left its loose feeling. Soft doesn't describe it. With the high speed at 8 and the low speed at 2-4 it's enjoyable. The high speed maxed out it makes things on the road feel like pebbles. You start cranking the low speed up above 2 and its like you're riding with 1" of shock travel. Stupid stiff.

My biggest issue is, i feel there could be a little more comfort. I don't mean soft just more plush through the shock travel. It's like it's either sloppy or stiff. I cannot find a sweet spot. At the same time, there's been many situations I've been impressed. I'm not taking anything away from accutune. I know it's gotta be extremely difficult to meet everyone's expectations without an in person tuning session. I'm happy as hell with my purchase. I just know it could be better. Nobody even close to me does shock tuning. And sending them off for a revalve without the language of what i want and what i have experienced is going to be hard to portray to them. I don't want it to be more harsh šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
A few months ago I put a set of Fox Performance Elite 2.5" shocks on my JL. I got them from Accutune set up in their "Adventure" tune. When I first put them on I couldn't be happier because they road so much better than what I had before. I basically put them on and turned the dials back one click from full + and drove it. Now I'm wondering if I can get it to ride even better, but I don't understand what the dials are actually doing. I've read the directions but I just don't understand them. I think that I would like the shocks to rebound less harshly. The roads I'm driving on are bumpy country roads. Any thoughts? Thanks
I would try setting everything to the left. Soft as you can. Move the low speed adjuster one click at a time until you are comfortable with the body roll and the comfort on road. Set too high it will make it harsh/rough. Once you find the low speed you want don't he same for the high speed. Find a rougher road. Go over the same spot while making adjustments. Feel the difference.

Sponsored

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
What was mentioned above is great advice. :handsinair:

@psdtime (or anyone for that matter) Send over a message if you any questions about DSC adjusters, happy to help.

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all for the replies, I went to do what Bombout800 suggested and realized that I had all the shock setting at or nearly full stiff (+ setting). I could have sworn that I had them full soft. I think time for glasses for me, because I couldn't even read the dial. I had to take a picture of it and zoom it in. I have only been able to drive it about 2 miles, but I think it feels much better. Thanks again. I plan to play with them a bit when I get a chance to drive it more.

my_jeep_sucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 4XE
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I think you need to go to the Factory series to get rebound adjustment. The performance elites only have high and low speed compression adjustments. I second what @Bombout800 noted about tuning. I have a set of performance elites with Accutune adventure tune on order and will set my baseline this way.

If I'm not happy on the trail my plan is to do bracket adjustments like I do on my MTB. You'll need a repeatable trail to do this. Run the trail and take notes on how it feels. Then add 2 clicks of low speed and run the trail and take notes. Was it better or worse? Then go back to baseline and remove 2 clicks of low speed and run the same trail. Better or worse? The larger adjustments will help you notice the changes your making. From there you can add or remove clicks to dial it in. After that you move on to highspeed and repeat the above steps.

As far as I know low speed dictates slow or sustained corners, acceleration/deceleration movements, wallowy bumps, and anything that has low damper shaft movement. High speed dictates big hits/bumps, abrupt directional changes, and square edges (falling off a ledge) where the damper shaft moves very quickly through it's travel.

Looking forward to tunning these down the road (trail).

@psdtime don't go by visuals, go by clicks. I'm pretty sure the low speed adjuster moves with the high speed knob. Fully open the compression counter clockwise and then count the clicks you add. You'll drive yourself crazy eyeballing this.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I think you need to go to the Factory series to get rebound adjustment. The performance elites only have high and low speed compression adjustments.
The only shocks that offer external rebound adjustments would be external bypasses or UTV shocks. Factory Race Series shocks are more or less being replaced by Performance Elite Series, their DSC adjusters are identical, just different colors. Both do not offer external rebound adjustment.

Lots of great videos above explain what High and Low Speed compression is.

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to test drive my Jeep yesterday for a longer distance, I the ride is so much better now. I have no complaints. I will probably play with the dials again to try to figure out what each adjustment gives me, but it's a little hard since the Jeep isn't my daily driver. Thanks again.

Sponsored

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
I was able to test drive my Jeep yesterday for a longer distance, I the ride is so much better now. I have no complaints. I will probably play with the dials again to try to figure out what each adjustment gives me, but it's a little hard since the Jeep isn't my daily driver. Thanks again.
As i mentioned above, the shocks are valved by accutune for what works. Daily driving, off road, and the occasional oh s#@t moment (adventure series). How they valve them is from personal experience as well as feedback. No tuned shock is the same to any one person. What i like may not be what you like. There's been times where i feel like i have too much rebound, sure. Then again, sometimes, if i didn't have enough, id be deep into compression. Wondering when i was going to come off bump stop.

At the end of the day,if you want to change something call them. Reach out. You have a free revalve. Let them work for you. The biggest problem is( I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about) there's a confusion in tuning. Most people want a very smooth and controlled ride. Like a suv but also want it to handle everything else. It's just not possible. Two completely different vehicles. Can it be refined? Absolutely. But it's going to take your specific setup, in the hands of accutune, to make that possible. You would need to be there in person to explain what you wanted, revalve, test, revalve. It's a process. There's always going to be a sacrifice. Maybe not be crazy significant but something has to give. You can't have a Cadillac on the street and take whoops, or vice versa. Too many factors. I'm sure with hours and hours, they could dial it in to be exactly what you wanted. At bare minimum what you would enjoy. I would absolutely play with the dsc. Balance body roll and comfort with low speed. Find the exact spot you prefer. High speed set all the way to the left. Hit some pot holes. Hit some railroad tracks. Go to adjusting high speed. Feel the change between open(all the way to the left) and work up one click at a time. You can actually feel open to the first click.

If you can't seem to figure it out or find a happy medium call them. They are amazing at answering questions. If you need reassurance on anything, call them. They have first hand experience with this. Trust me, your money was well spent. If anyone can help you out it's accutune. Do your own testing. If you have to write down what settings you preferred. Write down what you liked and disliked. I will say, make sure you do at least 500 miles on different terrain before giving up. You may just realize it works for you.

As mentioned above, i think my shocks could be refined a little, for my driving style. But they are really damn good. Just when you think you found the best adjustments, you're wrong. I promise you šŸ¤£šŸ¤£. Sometimes more is better. Sometimes less it better. It depends on the day of the week. Your mood. How you are driving that day. Be patient and enjoy the process. If you aren't happy, don't get frustrated. They are absolutely there to help you. Reach out to them. Good luck!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Keep messing with it brother, Iā€™ve had mine for 3 years and Iā€™m still trying different combinationsā€¦..Iā€™ve found my go to settings for specific driving scenarios for my ass in seat , but I still try different things in different situationsā€¦.. the combinations are endless, šŸ¤£

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
Keep messing with it brother, Iā€™ve had mine for 3 years and Iā€™m still trying different combinationsā€¦..Iā€™ve found my go to settings for specific driving scenarios for my ass in seat , but I still try different things in different situationsā€¦.. the combinations are endless, šŸ¤£
Same! It differs daily sometimes. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ always on the hunt for what works best in which scenario. Sometimes it's a stress. Like i need to pull over right now and make a change šŸ¤£

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I would try setting everything to the left. Soft as you can. Move the low speed adjuster one click at a time until you are comfortable with the body roll and the comfort on road. Set too high it will make it harsh/rough. Once you find the low speed you want don't he same for the high speed. Find a rougher road. Go over the same spot while making adjustments. Feel the difference.
I'm going to try this out!
Sponsored