Sponsored

Forgot to push the engine off button. In Manhattan!

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
The JL is the only Jeep I’ve had where the parking brake works. I’ve had it 3 months and I think that could be a record.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Anyone with an auto actually use the E brake? I have never one time set the parking brake in any auto I've owned. I leave the manuals in gear, but if the park pin fails in my auto I just see that as what insurance is for. Such an insanely small chance of it being an issue.
I do. Habit. you never know. Also, it is bad for the transmission if you don't use your E-brake and park on hill terrain often.

I always set my brake before shifting to Park.

"Applying the parking brake every day can take pressure off the transmission and other drive components, including the parking prawl, which locks up your transmission when you park but, of course, could always malfunction. According to Firestone, you should actually engage your emergency brake before shifting into Park “to limit the stress that’s put on your transmission, provide you with an extra layer of security, help prevent parking failure, and even prevent transmission repairs down the road. Think of the two systems like a dynamic duo—they’re better together!” Does your car have these 16 safety features no vehicle should be without?"

https://www.rd.com/list/when-to-use-your-emergency-brake/

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It is always good to have situational awareness and park safely. Niceness is overvalued in our society.
Dude owned up to the mistake, which is completely understandable given the circumstances. But that does not give you an excuse to act like a jackass. Have some situational awareness and realize that your comment added nothing of value to the community and only served to allow you to feel better about yourself by belittling another person who is dealing with enough crap of their own right now.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Wow what a dummy, and a lucky dummy.
My wife had a procedure and is in a hospital in NYC. Thank God she’s on the mend.
I go to visit her and was so giddy that I got a parking spot. I park, read the signs while in the Jeep and I guess pushing the off button on the auto air must’ve subconsciously made me think I pushed the engine off button.
Did I mention I’m a dummy?
2 long hour visit I come walking down the street and notice my lights are on. I figured my knee must’ve hit the auto lights dial which I’ve done before. As I approach the drivers door I see through the window “fob has left the vehicle”. I get in engine’s running. What a f**kin jerk.
I at least remember hitting the proximity lock button but I was a window smash away (and thief knowing how to drive stick) from losing my baby.
I’m still pissed at myself.
You are being too hard on yourself. It is easy to understand where your mind was at the time.

Just learn from your mistake and move on.

Sponsored

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
It seems there are some perks to driving an EV. I moved to an EV as my daily driver some time ago and there is a feature in every EV where if you open the driver's door, the car shuts off. From reading this thread, it seems every car should have this feature. And the dog mode to keep the AC running for when there is someone sitting in the car.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Not a manual here but my better half did the exact same thing in a Walmart parking lot she was devastated I just laughed and said society might just have a chance after all lol. One detail it was completely naked with top in safari mode. :whew:

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Dude owned up to the mistake, which is completely understandable given the circumstances. But that does not give you an excuse to act like a jackass. Have some situational awareness and realize that your comment added nothing of value to the community and only served to allow you to feel better about yourself by belittling another person who is dealing with enough crap of their own right now.
Thanks Dusty, it’s all good

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I do. Habit. you never know. Also, it is bad for the transmission if you don't use your E-brake and park on hill terrain often.

I always set my brake before shifting to Park.

"Applying the parking brake every day can take pressure off the transmission and other drive components, including the parking prawl, which locks up your transmission when you park but, of course, could always malfunction. According to Firestone, you should actually engage your emergency brake before shifting into Park “to limit the stress that’s put on your transmission, provide you with an extra layer of security, help prevent parking failure, and even prevent transmission repairs down the road. Think of the two systems like a dynamic duo—they’re better together!” Does your car have these 16 safety features no vehicle should be without?"

https://www.rd.com/list/when-to-use-your-emergency-brake/
Oh I’m doubting they say you should, I simply never have and never will. Yet to have a single problem with any vehicle I had (knock on wood). I personally think they remedied this problem years ago but people still teach it.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Definitely more important things to worry about then parking in neutral. ive driven a stick the majority of my life, and i do use the Ebrake when i park, and in gear. However living in a cold region in the winter time i do start my vehicle and let it warm up in neutral with the Ebrake on. I did learn a lesson at about age 15 with my dads ford ranger, left in neutral shut off on the flat part of the driveway, well it ended up rolling down the driveway LOL. we both said oopppsy, and didnt make that mistake again.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Oh I’m doubting they say you should, I simply never have and never will. Yet to have a single problem with any vehicle I had (knock on wood). I personally think they remedied this problem years ago but people still teach it.
They didnt remedied anything. There is no problem. The transmission is a mechanical device. You either set it in gear or let it roll free. And the e brake is just there as a parking brake an emergency brake. It is part of the vehicle. No issue.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Check to see if there is any "stains" on your seats...prostitution has returned and would not be surprised if someone use it for a "quickie"...a little bleach should do it...

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
we both said oopppsy, and didnt make that mistake again.
For some reason, that triggered a memory. Early in my career, I was driving an 18-wheeler on a brutally cold night. After making it a couple hours down the road, I blew a tire. When I looked in the mirror, I saw sparks. When I pulled over, I realized the sparks were flames. One of my brake drums was glowing, and it caught my tire on fire. To this day, I'm still not entirely sure why that happened. Cold weather and air brakes are not good friends.

Anyway, I sat there on the side of the road for a long time in a cloud of rancid brake smoke. It was so awful. Finally, my knight in shining armor arrived with my new steed. I pulled my truck across the street, set the parking brake, and went over to help my boss hook my replacement truck up to the loaded trailer.

When we were done, he gazed around, puzzled. "Where's your truck?"

Uh.

So while it is common and normal practice NOT to park an 18-wheeler in gear, it's a REALLY good idea to park one in gear WHEN THE BRAKE SYSTEM JUST FAILED CATASTROPHICALLY AND CAUSED A TIRE FIRE!

I was a DUMBASS! Ooooppppppsy.

Fortunately, my boss took it in stride when we found the truck down a bank, with the rear axle at a crazy angle, up against the tree stump that kept it from going all the way. He said, "I was planning to nurse this thing home, and I take this as a sign from the Good Lord that I shouldn't have tried to do that. This probably saved my life. You go on, and I'll go call a wrecker."

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I've done it before with the Jeep. The damn engine is so quiet. I was meeting coworkers for beers and I was the last one to arrive. I couldn't wait to join the fun, I guess I thought it was off. 2 hours later as I get back into the Jeep I'm like crap... I left it running the whole time. Lucky for me it didn't get stolen. Stuff happens.

On the whole e brake thing. I was taught that way. I don't even drive a stick, but was always taught that after you put the transmission in park you pull the e brake. It's habit now. Probably redundant on an auto though.
Sponsored