OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I guess I am surprised that mine has a battery at all, since I don't have electric door locks. It does make sense that it could be the battery, now that I think about it. Even though something like a Speed-pass doesn't need a battery, in the case of the fob, it is not always in close proximity to its sensor, where ever that is. It must have to kind of "broadcast" its presence in the car. While in my 64 year old mind, this is another example of how a lot of tech is for the worse, not better, it is good to know that if you hold it right up to the switch, it will work, battery or not.

I also find it intersting how there are some on these sites that get all tough-guy-macho and belittle everybody else's problems. He'd probably be okay with it if his Ford Pinto got rear ended and blew up. Get out, brush off the charcoal skin, and go buy another one. Pay for something that doesn't work? Is that some kinda problem???
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I guess I am surprised that mine has a battery at all, since I don't have electric door locks. It does make sense that it could be the battery, now that I think about it. Even though something like a Speed-pass doesn't need a battery, in the case of the fob, it is not always in close proximity to its sensor, where ever that is. It must have to kind of "broadcast" its presence in the car. While in my 64 year old mind, this is another example of how a lot of tech is for the worse, not better, it is good to know that if you hold it right up to the switch, it will work, battery or not.

I also find it intersting how there are some on these sites that get all tough-guy-macho and belittle everybody else's problems. He'd probably be okay with it if his Ford Pinto got rear ended and blew up. Get out, brush off the charcoal skin, and go buy another one. Pay for something that doesn't work? Is that some kinda problem???
Why are old people mad at the world and so consistently blame their own mistakes and lack of understanding on society/technology/these darn kids?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Why are old people mad at the world and so consistently blame their own mistakes and lack of understanding on society/technology/these darn kids?
Becasue we would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those darn kids!

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I have two vehicles - the jeep and a 2012 Kia.

Both have FOBs.

I wear my FOBs on a carabiner that hooks to my belt loops. So, it's always on the outside of my body.

I have not had this issue with the Jeep even when I'm way up some FSR in freezing weather and then go snowshoeing for an hour. Works fine still.

But my Kia has done this since day 1. Once it gets cold the battery refuses to work, no matter how new the battery is. Go for a walk out in the cold - won't work when I come back. Have to use the integrated key, and then press the FOB against the start button. So, in the end it's fine but a pain...

Sponsored

OP
OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
"Why are old people mad at the world and so consistently blame their own mistakes and lack of understanding on society/technology/these darn kids? "

Because we are right!:)

My favorite analogy to this kind of thing is when Indiana Jones confronts a sword-wielding guy, obviously highly skilled, all decked out in the proper ninja garb, etc. Jones watches him for a minute, impressed; then drops him with one bullet. The Fob is really rad and dope and way cool and everything but it is overkill to just start an engine in a car. In the future, they will have this really neat thing called a "key," that is so far advanced that it doesn't even NEED batteries! Just imagine it!

Last edited:

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Ram suddenly decide to not recognize the fob.... it wasn't the battery... the computer just didn't recognize the fob anymore... after 2 hours of trouble shooting in freezing cold temperatures, searching the internet for a solution, I disconnected the truck battery for 20 seconds and it reprogrammed itself... problem fixed....

But now I will make sure to never leave the jeep's fob in cold weather...

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
"Why are old people mad at the world and so consistently blame their own mistakes and lack of understanding on society/technology/these darn kids? "

My favorite analogy to this kind of thing is when Indiana Jones confronts a sword-wielding guy, obviously highly skilled, all decked out in the proper ninja garb, etc. Jones watches him for a minute, impressed; then drops him with one bullet. The Fob is really rad and dope and way cool and everything but it is overkill to just start an engine in a car. In the future, they will have this really neat thing called a "key," that is so far advanced that it doesn't even NEED batteries! Just imagine it!
Yea but don’t forget Bill, in the days of starting the vehicle with a key, thieves would pop out your ignition, start it with a screwdriver and off they go.
It’s like a chess match with these dirtbags.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

Do you know how many people have died due to faulty ignition switches?

Meanwhile you’re so smart and correct about everything but can’t even read the simple users guide that comes with your vehicle.

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer

Or... you could just not leave your fob in the freezing cold overnight and not have any issues. Batteries are nowhere near new technology, I don't get how you can live 60+ years without knowing that batteries drain faster in the cold lol

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Was just searching for something like this.

Just got that big snow storm in PA (not as much as forecast, maybe just shy of a foot). Remote started my jeep from inside my house no problem, went out and started to shovel while the jeep was warming up.

Probably a bit over 10 minutes shoveling, I got in the jeep and tried to resume the ignition from the remote start, but it wasn't recognizing the fob was in the vehicle. Eventually told me to hold it directly to the start button and it worked.

I don't know. 10 minutes outside in my pocket really isn't that long of a time to "freeze," in my opinion, but hopefully that's the case and it's not my fob out of battery. It is almost 3 years old, so I don't know if that's about the time batteries in the fob start to die.

OP
OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Or... you could just not leave your fob in the freezing cold overnight and not have any issues. Batteries are nowhere near new technology, I don't get how you can live 60+ years without knowing that batteries drain faster in the cold lol
Well I knew batteries were not as good in the cold okay; but since I have no electric door locks, I didn't even know my fob would need a battery until this thread. Okay, since the geezer is willing to learn, do Speed Pass units (The ones that pay tolls automatically when you drive by) have batteries in them too? How is it that they have worked for me for years now without changing a battery and the "signal," for lack of a better term, has to travel further than the car fob? Seriously, I am not trying to cause an argument. I just want to know what the difference is.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with ya Bill, jeez you made one mistake and left your fob in the car and you’re getting crucified for it on this thread.
You’re like that poor fat kid in Lord Of The Flies.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
@bwright1818
I wouldn't worry about it. The guy making fun of you has a bikini-colored JL. He probably has a lot of anger to let out on the world lol

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
IEven though something like a Speed-pass doesn't need a battery, in the case of the fob, it is not always in close proximity to its sensor, where ever that is. It must have to kind of "broadcast" its presence in the car.
Speedpass uses a battery (or in some cases, induction) because, like your key fob, it can’t operate on magic and unicorn dust.
Sponsored

Last edited: