OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

Not sure if I shared that correctly but here's some footage I slapped together from this past weekend out on the trail

@MORTON
Footage and grading are top notch bro! Getting good with that thing!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Got a pretty peaceful shot of a nice catamaran on the other side of St Augustine beach! Would love to sail in one of these one day with the family!

short clip:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My Wife and I are heading up after work on Thursday. We hope to get most of the trails done on Friday and Saturday, then head home Sunday.

We may also head up to Wheels and Water the following weekend in Marianna, FL (in the panhandle). It would also give us an opportunity to visit some family up that way. We are still debating though, as it's almost an 8 hour ride from us.

Link to Wheels and Water
Charles, my wife and I are convoying up with @Buckster on Saturday. My cell is 941-730-5649, if you want to link up!

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Charles, my wife and I are convoying up with @Buckster on Saturday. My cell is 941-730-5649, if you want to link up!
Sounds good, I added your number. :like: Any idea what trails you want to do on Saturday? If so, we'll skip them on Friday, and do them with you guys on Saturday.

Do you know of any other Forum members are attending this year? From previous posts, it looks like @Jdyowa , @Last Mango , @DravenGSX , and @GunnersJL have attended in the past.

PS. If you haven't already checked the JWJ Facebook group, definitely do. The Check-in area and process has changed this year. https://www.facebook.com/jeepinwithjudd/

Last edited:

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Well, Day 1 of Jeepin with Judd is over. We completed 3 trails for a total time of about 5hrs in 4-Low. 2 of the 3 trails were listed as Stock Friendly, and the 3rd was a Moderate, requiring 33" tires and a small lift. I was really surprised with the technical level of the trails, as they had lots of off camber and steep inclines & declines, many with mud pools in the middle making for a slick exit. At one point we had 23 degrees off camber, and 25 degrees incline. It doesn't sound like a lot, but there is definitely a pucker factor, especially if it catches you off guard. It was a really an awesome first day, I cant wait to tackle the remaining 5 moderate trails tomorrow. Unfortunately, I cant do the 5 Advanced.trails, as they require 35" tires and lockers.

Anyway, here's my Jeep after Day 1. She was washed and spotless this morning. LOL
Jeep Wrangler JL Florida Roll Call! IMG_20210226_181354_hdr

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Well, Day 1 of Jeepin with Judd is over. We completed 3 trails for a total time of about 5hrs in 4-Low. 2 of the 3 trails were listed as Stock Friendly, and the 3rd was a Moderate, requiring 33" tires and a small lift. I was really surprised with the technical level of the trails, as they had lots of off camber and steep inclines & declines, many with mud pools in the middle making for a slick exit. At one point we had 23 degrees off camber, and 25 degrees incline. It doesn't sound like a lot, but there is definitely a pucker factor, especially if it catches you off guard. It was a really an awesome first day, I cant wait to tackle the remaining 5 moderate trails tomorrow. Unfortunately, I cant do the 5 Advanced.trails, as they require 35" tires and lockers.

Anyway, here's my Jeep after Day 1. She was washed and spotless this morning. LOL
Jeep Wrangler JL Florida Roll Call! IMG_20210226_181354_hdr
Charles, I contacted the JWJ staff a few days ago. They said my Sport, lifted on 33’s with LSD and BLD, but no lockers, is fine for the advanced trails. We are going to hit the advanced railroad grade trail first this morning, after we arrive, which should be no later than 0900.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good, I added your number. :like: Any idea what trails you want to do on Saturday? If so, we'll skip them on Friday, and do them with you guys on Saturday.

Do you know of any other Forum members are attending this year? From previous posts, it looks like @Jdyowa , @Last Mango , @DravenGSX , and @GunnersJL have attended in the past.

PS. If you haven't already checked the JWJ Facebook group, definitely do. The Check-in area and process has changed this year. https://www.facebook.com/jeepinwithjudd/
Charles, in my previous post I said we will start with Railroad Grade, but instead we will start with Hog Root, as it only requires 33s. After that, my wife will take over driving and we will hit a moderate trail. Suggestions?

@Buckster will be up there with his wife; we are convoying up together.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Charles, in my previous post I said we will start with Railroad Grade, but instead we will start with Hog Root, as it only requires 33s. After that, my wife will take over driving and we will hit a moderate trail. Suggestions?

@Buckster will be up there with his wife; we are convoying up together.
Hog root was a great trail, but the stock Rubi definitely suffered on the break over. I got high centered and had to get pulled off one and simply couldn’t get over another. Other than those 2 spots, she walked through the rest of the trail easily. 35’s and a small lift would have made all the difference and is in planning now lol.
Good time with Jeff and the Mrs today.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Hog root was a great trail, but the stock Rubi definitely suffered on the break over. I got high centered and had to get pulled off one and simply couldn’t get over another. Other than those 2 spots, she walked through the rest of the trail easily. 35’s and a small lift would have made all the difference and is in planning now lol.
Good time with Jeff and the Mrs today.
Buck, we had an awesome time with you and Lisa, and Shelley was so glad to meet y’all finally!

That WAS a great trail! That was Shelley’s first time off-roading with me, and of course I had to take her on an advance trail first 😆 We are a bit beat-up, with our various physical issues, but so glad we did it!

On a few technical notes, that was a great example of why a lift is sometimes more important than lockers. My lifted Sport on 33s, without lockers, cleared all of the obstacles without assistance (the trail required lockers, but I got permission ahead of time). The BLD and LSD are excellent in the JLs, with disconnected sway bar. Even with my fairly high lift, I high-centered once, had to back up a little, and hit it again with more skinny pedal. We could feel the LSD and BLD working constantly, with almost instant engagement.

The ONLY reason I also didn’t damage my back bumper is because I left my trailer hitch in. It took all of the hits on the back end, and protected not only the bumper but also the spare tire and spare mounting bracket.

Buck, I was dismayed to see the little kids, infants, and loose small dogs that folks took on that trail. WAY too rough for little kids, babies, and small loose dogs, in my opinion! I’m glad none of them were hurt.

Now, to get the couple hundred pounds of clay mud off and out of it...

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like much fun was had. I SO agree about the BLD being very good in these new Jeeps. Having done 17 BOH trails (so far) with my Sahara, many of which were on trails out west in which lockers are recommended, I can attest to the operation of the BLD system. Heck, I've even had occasion in which I've successfully negotiated an obstacle that guys with lockers were struggling with. It's often more about technique and taking the right line than it is about equipment..IMHO..:)

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like much fun was had. I SO agree about the BLD being very good in these new Jeeps. Having done 17 BOH trails (so far) with my Sahara, many of which were on trails out west in which lockers are recommended, I can attest to the operation of the BLD system. Heck, I've even had occasion in which I've successfully negotiated an obstacle that guys with lockers were struggling with. It's often more about technique and taking the right line than it is about equipment..IMHO..:)
Indeed, Randy! I have to point out though that @Buckster is an EXCELLENT driver, and definitely knows his stuff. He too is an expert at very difficult off-road driving. He just needs a lift for trails like that.